just got back from Scotland.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

just got back from Scotland.

Post by Nath »

Just got from a weeks vacation in Scotland with my bride.
packed the 94 trapper as usual and tried for a roe buck but when I did get a shot (@ 160paces) I missed! I foolishly shot just over the top of him! He was side on perfect too!
I got two fox though here is the first,
Took him at about 70 odd yards, he was very kind, he let me recock the hammer after it failed to fire!
I think a combination of having the timber behind me and my hands and face covered and a small white dog with me helped to captivate him.
Shortly after I made my way back towards the car, about a 600yd walk. I removed my mask and gloves thinking no deer will show now and winding the tree line aswell, guess what? Two roe appeared from no where in front of me and ran towards the car. The buck in the two stopped at something like 150 yds so I took aim. Just passed him I could just make out the roof of the wifes car so I eased the hammer down, I aint prepared to get in Tia's bed again so soon!
More to follow.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: just got back from Scotland.

Post by Nath »

Here is another view of the first fox, I was in the tree line near the dead looking trees. If you look down the stone wall you can see a little white blob, thats Tia watching me as I told her to stay there. Tia incidently has come home covered in ticks!

More to follow.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cute aint he,

There is more!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Here you see Tia retrieving the second fox, she is very warey of the fact it's head is trailing close to her rear and is growling at the fox at the same time, kinder funny me thinks.

Nearly finnished.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

"Stop smelling my butt you darn dead fox..." :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

This is the second fox shot in tha same area and at 40 odd yards.
He was facing away from us when I let fly and hit him in the rear neck and the bullet exiting under his right eye. He never felt a thing!

Now then guys a question. I have noticed that the rising locking bolt on my 94 can and does not fully rise. If I close the action slowly it is low if I close it fast it is higher. If I push the bottom plate in to the action which does not fit flush with the reciever unless I do, the bolt comes up even higher! Also it is easy to see the head spacing change when doing this, surly this can not help accurate shooting?
I have allways suffered flyers no matter what load I use. I am seriously considering trying to tune this out, it is as if the lever is fouling the complete return of the floor plate.
What ya think?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the pics of Scotland - where were you there?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Nath,
If you were on this side of the water, the easy answer would be see your local gunsmith.
But you are not here, hopefully one of our Winchester guru's can recognize & diagnose your problem from afar.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad to see you had a great time North of the border, well done on the Foxes! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

as always, excellent report. well done. sorry you missed out on the deer
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nath I'll have to say again, that you post some of the best pictures anywhere.

Thank you,
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Looks like nice country. Does your 94 have a rebounding hammer?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sounds like a good vacation despite the deer!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

OS, we were staying in Glenluce in south west Scotland. The forest I was hunting in is called Gass forest next to Artfield fell (which is shown on most maps). An old hunting friend has the rights to thousands of acres up there and lets me check this patch freely when I we go. A truelly wonderfull gesture.

Yes Kirk, it does have a rebounding hammer, is it significant?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote: Yes Kirk, it does have a rebounding hammer, is it significant?
Nath.
Possibly. I noticed you had cartridge that did not fire. Several folks on this forum who have Winchester '86s with rebounding hammers have experienced misfires due to too weak a hammer strike. I've not heard of it in a 94, but it could be related. The rebounding mechanism can sometimes take too much energy out of the hammer strike, resulting in a failure to fire. I think it is easily fixed, however, though I don't know the procedure.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It was the first miss fire with this 94, I was thinking that if the locking bolt is not rising enough and thus increasing head space slightly if it could take some of the percussion away from the hammer. More importantly I am concerned about any inconsistancy there being reflected in the potential of any given loading.
Can you (or anybody else) close the lever with different speeds and get the bolt to rise to different amounts each time?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nath, that is where my people are from - SW Scotland. I thought is looked nostalgically home like when I saw it.

Do you have any pictures of the field scenery without the dead foxes?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Again, Nath, you've outdone yourself. Great photos and good story. Yep, you're probably right about not shootin' the car! Wouldn't have helped the honeymoon at all!

As to the locking lug not rising... Is the link flush with the bottom of the receiver went you close the lever all the way? If it is - you'll have to disassemble the rifle. Check for wear on the bottom of the slot the locking lug rides in on the back of the link or the bottom edge of the locking lug "feet" that ride in that slot. If this looks ok, check for wear around the lever/link pin in either the link (which should be a roll pin), or if there's any "enlargement" in the slot in the lever the pin rides thru. As I recall, those are the only bearing surfaces that would affect the height the locking lug rises to. Well, there is the lower tang, which has a couple of small tabs on its fore end that act as a stop for the link rising into the receiver. But... the only time I've had an issue with that is fitting a new style lower tang in an older receiver with an older link also.

Below is about the only pic I have of the areas in question:
Link: #55
lever/link pin: #59
Locking lug: #84
Lever: #63

Here's a pic of the lower tang that shows the "tabs":
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sorry Os I don't but I will try next time :D

Griff, thanks for your reply.
Item #55 in the drawing is not rising flush in to the reciever but I can thumb it in and raise the bolt some more. Once thumbed the lever it self is trying to lower it back out again!
I was wondering if the lever is bent wrong!
The gun is young and not shot more than a thousand rounds.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Looks like a wonderful trip. Just out of curiosity, how was the weather?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The weather bigbore was wet for the first two days on southwest winds. The third day was better but regular drizzle, no deer were showing on those days but I found plenty places they had lay up outside the dripping trees. The next three days warmed some and had some sun, whilst driving around with my wife I was suddenly spotting deer and so it was that I started to see them in the forest too :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

If the lock up of the rifle is inconsistent, I'd refrain from shooting it until you get it fixed. Firing a rifle out of battery could have dire consequences
I am American