Elk Country

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Elk Country

Post by BigSky56 »

Took a little ride scouting elk this week alot of tracks and heard cow elk calling in the bottoms. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Re: Elk Country

Post by Bogie35 »

Beautiful country!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Nice looking Country! When does Elk season start there? Oh,and good luck when it opens!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Starts the 3rd sunday in october for rifle, bow season starts the first sat. of sept. We have a backcountry hunt that is for rifle that starts sept 15 but you have to go down around yellowstone park or the Bob Marshall Wilderness by Glacier park. Thanks for the luck. danny
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I am jealous, best of luck.
It is not the critic who counts
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It starts. BigSky56, starts showing pic's of his hunting backyard. I think he does it to drive us nuts. Well, it works on me. Someday, I'll be able to do that. Need to spend more time on my horses before I can trust taking them into the woods.
Old Law Dawg
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

kimwcook wrote:It starts. BigSky56, starts showing pic's of his hunting backyard. I think he does it to drive us nuts. Well, it works on me. Someday, I'll be able to do that. Need to spend more time on my horses before I can trust taking them into the woods.
I think the horses will do just fine in the woods. They just need more time working on you :wink:
WY2000
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Ain't nothing can compare to seeing God's country between the ears of a good horse. Thank's Danny for the chance to see it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JerryB wrote:Ain't nothing can compare to seeing God's country between the ears of a good horse. Thank's Danny for the chance to see it.
Beat me to it. Ditto! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

JerryB wrote:Ain't nothing can compare to seeing God's country between the ears of a good horse. Thank's Danny for the chance to see it.
+1 on that one...
you lucky guy!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

Yup ..................
AQHA Life Member
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Your country looks kinda like around here. Finally drew an antlered Elk tag this year, and went out this morning. (Muzzleloading). Went to my "honey hole" but encountered a guy from Missouri, bear hunting, about a half mile from my spot. He said he heard alot of crashing in the woods, but didn't see anything. I chatted a bit and hiked in further. He might not have been in the spot , but I guess he was close enought to spook the Elk over to some private land about 1/3 mile away :cry: .
Found plenty of droppings from the elk, nothing "steaming", but most wasn't very old(this morning). Found the guys tracks about 200 yards away from the dark timber where they stay. Try later in the week. Maybe they will be back.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Nice looking country, good luck with the elk hunting. Thanks for sharing the cool photos.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I agree with the boys in that there's some nice country in the pics. I also agree with the horses. I'm tired of walking up and down those Rockys and backpackin' those elk out. Good luck in the fall--bring home the herd bull.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Nice country...Love Montana...looks a lot like Eastern Oregon. Love Elk steaks too :) Mighty fine eaten!

Good luck...and happy trails.
Semper Fi
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Can't wait to hit elk season here in WA and OR. Hitting early deer season next week, and I"m excited!!! :mrgreen:
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

What I like about this area is the roads are all gated just horses or foot traffic theres miles of road to ride and when I get to the end of a road crosscountry and hit another road weve taken some good meat bulls and cows out of there. danny

If you want to see what man has built take a ride in a vehicle If you want to see what God has built take a ride on a horse . Emerson
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Danny: That's nice country all right. Looks like there has been some selective cutting in there and a lot of second growth. Is that mostly fir and hemlock, maybe some larch? What kind of rifle do you like for that country? Seems like the shots could come very close as well as 300 yards off, but that spotting and stalking would get you closer.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:) :D :D Thanks for sharing those!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Awesome looking country! It almost feels like I've been there. Maybe I have........ :shock:

My son and his hunting partner who is bowhunting for elk pulled in this morning. They got a small bull. His partners first big game kill. A pretty excited young feller!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Bill, This area is all private timber land "Plum Creek" and they logged it last winter and this spring they took most of the DF & larch left the hemlock fir and lodgepole theres some good feed for elk and deer as this is winter range for them the open slopes are full of bunch grass. I use a 30/30 or a 348 as with horses I can ride up on them, my longest shot was 100. My best luck has been from 9 to noon elk are bedded down and sleeping. This area is south of the Kootenia river and Fisher river junction about 5 miles below Libby dam. The last photo at the bottom of the draw and the base of the brown Mtn in the distance is the Kootenia river. danny