20-gauge slug loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 20-gauge slug loads

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That looks good, Will. I put my boolits in a cheap Rubbermaid tub with a dash of the powder, roll them around, and then bake them in a toaster oven for 20 minutes. Has worked fine so far.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:54 am That looks good, Will. I put my boolits in a cheap Rubbermaid tub with a dash of the powder, roll them around, and then bake them in a toaster oven for 20 minutes. Has worked fine so far.
bake at what temperature ?? AND what does the heat do to the lead hardness, if anything ?? AND how do you cool them to room temp ??

Thanks
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

350° is what this bottle says.

I loaded up 3 each painted Thug slugs
3 lubed with Alox- 3" hulls.
Also 3 with .50 325 gr hp's and 348gr black belt muzzle loader bullets. 2³/⁴ hulls.

These sabots have what I'll call a driving band inside towards the front. The 325gr bullets are short of the band so I put 4 410 overshot cards under the bullet to put the band in play. The black belt bullets got 1 under.

Oh I gotta look at the radar, maybe I can get out to test!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So the loads I posted previously all get tossed...
The 35 gr Lilgun withsabot and copper slug are certainly minute of deer at 50 but im not wasting any more time with these.

Th 24 gr Longshot behind the Thug Slug powder coatedshot well but 1 I could not get to chamber- paint was too thick but the other 2 were POA and a couple inches apart.

The winning load is the Thug, 24 Longshot and the Thug dipped in liquid Alox.
20231015_130414.jpg
Now I can load a few more for testing at 100yds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, I have been baking mine for 20 minutes at 400 in the $19 Walmart toaster oven, then letting them cool. Doesn't take long -- maybe a half hour. There may be a change in hardness, but I doubt it would be significant.
Will, I am going to PC a few of the DGS slugs and compare them with commercial foster loads, this week I hope.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill I'm settling on liquid alox, the powder coating I'm sure would work fine but having to beat the bolt handle closed due to the slugs being oversize just isn't worth the effort.
I'd have to figure out a technique to size these down then powder coat. They measure .635, I suppose a 5/8 hole in a peice of steel would work and the attached wad should do the job to obturate the skirt but it's just not worth the effort.

I'm curious how it works on your DGs!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, I must be missing something. I just test-powdercoated three DGS and three Thugs, loaded the former over 25 grains Longshot and the latter over 20 grains Unique, finger-seated them in primed Fiocchi shells and roll crimped in the drill press. They chamber perfectly in the Stevens.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm thinking I got way too much powder on my Thugs, it's a new process for me, I warmed the lead via torch before dipping into the powder and they got FAT!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

:shock: :lol:
I just shake mine in a plastic tub for a minute ...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I finally found a #5 plastic tub but haven't tried it yet...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!