Keeping your cool on the motorcycle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Keeping your cool on the motorcycle

Post by jeepnik »

Regardless of motivation the biker caused an accident that cost a live. As with everyone he is responsible for his actions. Failing to stop and take that responsibility is unforgivable.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Where did it say that someone lost their life as a result of this bike & auto incident? I seem to have missed that report.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Local news announced his arrest a day or two ago. Story included that fact.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

earlmck wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:46 am Funny how different folks see the same thing and interpret it 180 degrees differently. If the guy gets just one person on the jury who sees that video the way I see it they won't be able to convict him of even a speeding ticket. The driver of the car, however.... he'd be in trouble.
I agree with Mr. Earl
Who knows? As an easterner where things can get ugly real fast...........

I have heard it several times.........and people coming up and running them off the road into the weeds....we don't know the whole story and if the story is like I've heard it, the aggressors deserve to have their doors kicked in.........

May not be legal but some people in cars think they are "strong" and when they come up against a "nut" , well, they get what is coming to them.

Be careful who ya mess with....the law of nature supersededs the law.----6
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have driven through that section of road hundreds of times. That car pool lane varies in width through that section. It is hard to see that a motorcycle could safely pass through there in that lane. Splitting lanes involves two lanes and is legal. It is sometimes legal to pass on the shoulder but not always. But, this occurred in the outside of the carpool lane.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Biker was lane-splitting and this does irritate a lot of car drivers. My interpretation of events is that the video as edited by the TV News shows the second, or possibly third time the car driver tries to kill the biker. I guarantee you the little kick you can give a car from a bike did not knock the car out of control like the Newscaster wants us to think: the car did all that because the enraged driver overdid this really serious shot at taking out the biker, hit the median divider and his subsequent rebound caused all the mayhem. At least, that is my interpretation from the limited information we have before us.

I do agree with all you old bikers who make the point that this biker disobeyed all rules of bike-preservation and is lucky to be alive enough to be in trouble. 'Course, if he was on a Harley he probably didn't have the acceleration to get on out of trouble like most of us would have done. But he could have backed waaay off as an alternative.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Guys, the biker wasn't completely at fault. But he was the only one that left he scene. He was arrested for amount other things hit and run. Had he stop things wouldn't have gotten so out offhand for him.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lane splitting is legal in Calif but this biker was way outside the guidelines and could be ticketed. This is an area that carries 70,000 to 80,000 commuters morning and evening. It leads into the LA basin where a number of freeways a few miles ahead. Lane splitting must be done safely and they were well above the 50 mph guideline.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

OS Lane splitting is legal now. It may not have been legal then. Not sure when it was legalized. Even before it was legalized it wasn’t illegal. Sort of a grey area.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Jeepnik, I said lane splitting was legal but read the definitions and guidelines. This is not a carte blanche for motorcycles to do whatever they want. He was not lane splitting because there was no other lane. Passing on the shoulder was clearly illegal at that speed. They were way over the guideline speed limits for legal lane splitting, what he did was unsafe. The shoulder is not a lane. And that is all before his physical assault and leaving the scene. As far as the suggestion of accelerating out of danger, he was behind the car.

And ... whatever they do must be considered safe.

When I go through there I try to do nothing and remain totally predictable. There is plenty of lane changing that goes on because that car pool lane is going to end and there are multiple freeway intersections just ahead.