New to Me!!! M-1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: New to Me!!! M-1

Post by Griff »

I finally fired the M-1. After our monthly Wild bunch Match, several guys do a Bolt Action Military Match... One of them let me use his '03-A3. Afterwards, I tested out the M-1! What I thought was 4320... turned out to be 4350! The brass in the 3 gal ice cream that I thought was .30-06, turned out to be 7mmRemMag! Easy mistake to make thru the frosted plastic... no? So at the reloading shop I buy 100 rnd bag of primed Fed brass...

So, while I'm wondering what powder to use... I find an old can of 3031... which had just enough powder in it to load FOUR rounds! While the boy is off to the reloading store to buy more 3031... sure is convenient, it being only 5 miles down the road! I rummage around to see what else is back there in the powder stash... 'lo & behold! A nearly full CAN of 4064!

Now we're talking appropriate powder! So, set up the smokeless lubri-sizer, and size some of my 150gr GCFP I use in the .30-30. These don't lead at 2200fps in the .30-30s, so I figure why not? Combining the three went pretty easy... except for the first round! Crushed the case mouth... Duh! chamfer the mouth idiot! Dern new brass!

Anyway, got those done Friday, and up at 5am to head to the match. So... first 3 rounds... like popcorn thru a goose, and it strikes me, "...man these self-loaders sure are slick! No fumbling around trying to work a bolt handle or lever!" Sacrilegious, no?

Just steel target out there, so the 3 at 60, 66 & 75 yards are clanged pretty easily... then the far ones, 235, 240 & 255 yards according to the range finder. Clang, clang, & clang again! The first 3 were off-hand, and the second 3 were with an elbow braced on the table... Then I fired another clip of 150 grain HPs at the far bank to see if they'd feed at the loaded length... they were pretty long. Once again, picked out a spot and fired 8, about 250 yards, and they fed flawlessly. Now off to Rickey's and set up some targets and see what it'll really do! (His range is longer than mine, and cheaper than a bunch of others!!!) Rickey, want to shoot a Garand?

Today it's back on the road, and at work...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Griff wrote:I finally fired the M-1. After our monthly Wild bunch Match, several guys do a Bolt Action Military Match... One of them let me use his '03-A3. Afterwards, I tested out the M-1! What I thought was 4320... turned out to be 4350! The brass in the 3 gal ice cream that I thought was .30-06, turned out to be 7mmRemMag! Easy mistake to make thru the frosted plastic... no? So at the reloading shop I buy 100 rnd bag of primed Fed brass...

So, while I'm wondering what powder to use... I find an old can of 3031... which had just enough powder in it to load FOUR rounds! While the boy is off to the reloading store to buy more 3031... sure is convenient, it being only 5 miles down the road! I rummage around to see what else is back there in the powder stash... 'lo & behold! A nearly full CAN of 4064!

Now we're talking appropriate powder! So, set up the smokeless lubri-sizer, and size some of my 150gr GCFP I use in the .30-30. These don't lead at 2200fps in the .30-30s, so I figure why not? Combining the three went pretty easy... except for the first round! Crushed the case mouth... Duh! chamfer the mouth idiot! Dern new brass!

Anyway, got those done Friday, and up at 5am to head to the match. So... first 3 rounds... like popcorn thru a goose, and it strikes me, "...man these self-loaders sure are slick! No fumbling around trying to work a bolt handle or lever!" Sacrilegious, no?

Just steel target out there, so the 3 at 60, 66 & 75 yards are clanged pretty easily... then the far ones, 235, 240 & 255 yards according to the range finder. Clang, clang, & clang again! The first 3 were off-hand, and the second 3 were with an elbow braced on the table... Then I fired another clip of 150 grain HPs at the far bank to see if they'd feed at the loaded length... they were pretty long. Once again, picked out a spot and fired 8, about 250 yards, and they fed flawlessly. Now off to Rickey's and set up some targets and see what it'll really do! (His range is longer than mine, and cheaper than a bunch of others!!!) Rickey, want to shoot a Garand?

Today it's back on the road, and at work...

I stuck with 4895, either IMR or H with complete satisfaction. :)
Merle from PA
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Merle wrote:I stuck with 4895, either IMR or H with complete satisfaction. :)
Using what I had on hand... Although I might buy a 1lb of 4895 and test it out in this rifle. But, when I find "my" '03-A3, I need to download these down for these shots on steel.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Griff wrote:
Merle wrote:I stuck with 4895, either IMR or H with complete satisfaction. :)
Using what I had on hand... Although I might buy a 1lb of 4895 and test it out in this rifle. But, when I find "my" '03-A3, I need to download these down for these shots on steel.

In the best interest of your op rod, be picky about your powder choices.
Merle from PA