...And that's why you don't go shooting in the desert alone.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrentD

Re: ...And that's why you don't go shooting in the desert al

Post by BrentD »

kinda figured :)
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

RustyJr wrote:2571,
A lot of what was described sounded like that "sixth sense", that "gut feeling" that something isn't right and to be careful. It may have been the guys body language or the tone of his voice. Some times its just that still small voice in the back of your mind saying "watch out". I have experienced it more than once myself. Some times you just . . . "feel it". Many times people will show/tell you what they are going to do before they do it, you just have to know what the indicators are. Not sure if any of that makes sense.

RustyJr
I've learned to listen to the "voices".
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm always at Condition Yellow, and can segue to Orange, and Red in a half a heartbeat.....(and have)....
You have to own your AO, and stride with a purpose. Meet the gaze of a stranger peering at you with strength. If your body language is that of a victim, you will be cut out of the crowd, and victimized. I am not afraid to merely reach into my inside left hand vest pocket and take out nothing. The message should be clear.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BlaineG wrote:I'm always at Condition Yellow,...
Can't find a thumbs up smilie.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Reason: Despite my insistence to the POLICE OFFICER, as I recall a Sergeant, taking the desk report that this was a felony burglary of a locked car of over $400 loss, he did his best to gain my sympathy about what would happen to him if he didn't follow instructions and report this - and other car burglaries - as a "theft from car." That is, a theft of less than $400 from an unlocked car, which is a minor crime. He said that the Chief was under pressure to bring crime under control and on and on. He would not write a felony crime report. I complained to my superiors and the Sheriff's Department and they asked me if it was worth the - excuse my language - "peeing match" it would cause between the Sheriff and Chief of Police.

If this happened in front of my very eyes, it happens elsewhere. I never forgot it and I am not exaggerating.
BrentD wrote:sorry to ruffle your feathers jdefresno. But the facts are the facts. they are not from NBC but they are from places like the FBI and they are used by lots of people to see where we are going as a society. If you want to make up your own crime stats, go ahead. Maybe Fresno really is different than the rest of the country but as a whole then, Fresno must be considerably worse off than the national average. I'm sorry you live there, perhaps you should move.
What John says is a fact. It happens all over the country. Agencies under-report crime to make their situation appear better. And then the statistics from their reports are submitted to the FBI...that's where the FBI gets their stats...not from a scientific or objective study of any kind.

If the LEOs in one city accurately report crime while their sister city sugar-coats it, then the truthful city has a much higher crime rate, which is reported by the FBI and disseminated by sites such as city-data.com. Then no one wants to live there. Mayors get upset, civic leaders get upset, department heads get fired. Crime stats are subjective.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:
Reason: Despite my insistence to the POLICE OFFICER, as I recall a Sergeant, taking the desk report that this was a felony burglary of a locked car of over $400 loss, he did his best to gain my sympathy about what would happen to him if he didn't follow instructions and report this - and other car burglaries - as a "theft from car." That is, a theft of less than $400 from an unlocked car, which is a minor crime. He said that the Chief was under pressure to bring crime under control and on and on. He would not write a felony crime report. I complained to my superiors and the Sheriff's Department and they asked me if it was worth the - excuse my language - "peeing match" it would cause between the Sheriff and Chief of Police.

If this happened in front of my very eyes, it happens elsewhere. I never forgot it and I am not exaggerating.
BrentD wrote:sorry to ruffle your feathers jdefresno. But the facts are the facts. they are not from NBC but they are from places like the FBI and they are used by lots of people to see where we are going as a society. If you want to make up your own crime stats, go ahead. Maybe Fresno really is different than the rest of the country but as a whole then, Fresno must be considerably worse off than the national average. I'm sorry you live there, perhaps you should move.
What John says is a fact. It happens all over the country. Agencies under-report crime to make their situation appear better. And then the statistics from their reports are submitted to the FBI...that's where the FBI gets their stats...not from a scientific or objective study of any kind.

If the LEOs in one city accurately report crime while their sister city sugar-coats it, then the truthful city has a much higher crime rate, which is reported by the FBI and disseminated by sites such as city-data.com. Then no one wants to live there. Mayors get upset, civic leaders get upset, department heads get fired. Crime stats are subjective.
In Tacoma, and environs, a great deal of auto theft is charged as borrowing car without permission. So they can plead it out like that and get it out of the courts..AND, it doesn't show up as a theft on all those reports....A punk can steal a car a dozen times or more before getting jail time....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

When I started working as an RO I never carried a gun. Until I learned that was how the perps in the infamous Miami FBI shootout got some of their guns. Going to places people shot, killing them and taking their guns. Working at a public range is not the same thing, but it made me think. So your sixth sense may not have been wrong.

Oddly enough, the only almost altercation I ever had at the range ended not because I had a gun, but because I went in the office and took it off. I came back out without it and I think the guy's brain got the message "uh oh, I'm about to get my butt kicked." :D
Slow is just slow.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Someone broke in to my truck and stole a 1911. I called 911 immediately to report it, was put on hold (10am sunday morning), then told to file the complaint online. When I insisted an officer respond, mostly because of the loaded gun, the operator got nasty but sent an officer. Right from the start the officer was a jerk, very first thing he asked me was if my cherry F350 ran, walked all around it and the yard, took a brief report barely looking at the truck, and left. The following week we get a ticket for the unregistered car that was behind a 6 foot fence (no one but that cop could have seen it) that had just been given to my son by his grandparents, and a citation from the city for the few weeds in the same area. This was in Denver. At that time I was told that Denver PD doesn't respond to cold burglaries of cars, garages or sheds. I have no doubt there's some number fudging going on there as well.

As for the OT, there was plenty of reason to be concerned when a stranger approaches you like that at a gun range. I'm also a big believer in never having an empty gun and never shoot all your ammo. I have had people in the next "lane" over start shooting while I was down range changing targets when at the informal Natl Forest shooting area. I have told people in very direct manner that they needed to leave when I was pretty certain they were up to no good. You just don't know. But your subconscious picks things up. Listen to it.
Last edited by sore shoulder on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

We were talking violent crime - murder specifically - not petty vehicle registration violations. Do you guys really think that murders go unreported so local cops can make themselves look good?

A couple anecdotes really doesn't equate to data, now does it?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BrentD wrote:We were talking violent crime - murder specifically - not petty vehicle registration violations. Do you guys really think that murders go unreported so local cops can make themselves look good?

A couple anecdotes really doesn't equate to data, now does it?
Well, as far as I can discern, the original talking points were situational awareness and not shooting all your ammo at the range. Several tangents were introduced, I chose one to follow. If I have somehow violated the rules of discussion for this thread, I will consider myself duly moderated.

Also, my "anecdote" was much more than petty registration, it was burglary and theft of a firearm.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

sore - yes indeed the discussion has definitely meandered...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The intent of the goofball in Panzercat's OP is moot. The correct thing was done when P and his friend removed themselves from the situation. Even if the guy had no evil intent...he was probably drunk, high, or stupid. Safer to not be around those people.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

vancelw wrote:The intent of the goofball in Panzercat's OP is moot. The correct thing was done when P and his friend removed themselves from the situation. Even if the guy had no evil intent...he was probably drunk, high, or stupid. Safer to not be around those people.
Yup.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:sore - yes indeed the discussion has definitely meandered...
Perhaps Hobie can make a sticky with a list of your expectations? :mrgreen:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

BlaineG wrote:
That would be a neat trick. I can't even list one myself.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
That would be a neat trick. I can't even list one myself.
:oops: Sorry, I had just finished cleaning the pelosi out of Siegfried's crate this morning. For the 6th morning in a row.....I'm just in a pelosi-y mood.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV