GUNS YOU REGRET BUYING!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: GUNS YOU REGRET BUYING!

Post by Griff »

Even the hammered shotgun I rescued from Sixgun's clutches I don't regret, even if it cost 8 times as much to be a particularly UGLY wall hanger!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Hard to believe, but when I was WAY younger and more dumb, I picked up a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm, just what I was looking for. I could not shoot that gun a lick, barn door my eye, couldn't hit the barn. Really regretted the purchase, although if I had known more I would have had it (and me) tuned/fixed, what ever, but no. The good thing about it was I swapped if for a S&W 581, which turned out to be one of the sweetest and most tack driving hand guns I have owned. Terrific trigger, and the fixed sights were just dead on, and still are to this day. Sure would like to still have that Colt also though. Guess that was one of the rare regretted acquiring and regretted disposing of the same gun deals.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Two come to mind, both handguns actually. One year my "buddy" the gunsmith found a S&W model 39 or 59 semi auto pistol marked with Montana Highway patrol on it. Well he "saved it just for me", gee thanks! Worked ok but I could not hit the ground with it, much less something as small as a barn. OMG it was horrible with me shooting it, everybody else loved it, so.....I was "pressured" :wink: into selling it by a guy I know for a tidy profit
Next one was a Taurus revolver in 44 mag called a tracker. 5 shot 44 mag on a 357 frame, seemed like a great idea, NOT SO MUCH IN ACTUAL EXECUTION. It had the worst trigger pull I have ever felt.......sometimes. It was crazy one pull 2 1/2-3 pounds nice even, next 14 pounds, next 1/2 pound, it was nuts. The final straw was that it would not eject all empties at the same time, it would hang two every time, and that ain't good. I sent it to the gunsmith who sold it to me, he tried,swore a lot and ended up sending it back to Taurus..TWICE. Finally sold it to a local dealer who is a Taurus dealer and he said he could get it replaced, so I ended up buying a model 29 4inch like I should have right from the start. Remember it's only time, money, and aggravation. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:Even the hammered shotgun I rescued from Sixgun's clutches I don't regret, even if it cost 8 times as much to be a particularly UGLY wall hanger!

Ha! Hey! THAT was a Sam HOLT......you should be proud to own such a piece of Belgium history.

Remember what P.T Barnum said ?????? (I can say these things, we are 2,000 miles apart :D )------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Sixgun wrote:
Griff wrote:Even the hammered shotgun I rescued from Sixgun's clutches I don't regret, even if it cost 8 times as much to be a particularly UGLY wall hanger!

Ha! Hey! THAT was a Sam HOLT......you should be proud to own such a piece of Belgium history.

Remember what P.T Barnum said ?????? (I can say these things, we are 2,000 miles apart :D )------6
Yep, but of all the guys on the forum he is the one who travels the most, 2K miles for him is like going to the store for milk! Watch your 6, 6. :lol: :lol:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I didn't "HAVE" to... but wanted to... As I "KNOW" there's a .38Spl derringer in my future!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Its a 38 S&W....you know.....the short, slightly fatter 38.

On a side note, Targetmaster gets derringers in all the time....some nice......some junk......mostly modern.......what caliber do you want it in?------------6

(don't ask for something like a "6.5 X .284". :D )
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
Its a 38 S&W....you know.....the short, slightly fatter 38.
On a side note, Targetmaster gets derringers in all the time....some nice......some junk......mostly modern.......what caliber do you want it in?------------6
(don't ask for something like a "6.5 X .284". :D )
But, but... it's that Remington I'm waitin' on! :twisted: :twisted: Just as long as it's a centerfire...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Back in '06, I bought a Ruger 4 5/8" a blued .45 Colt Ruger New Model Vaquero. My range records indicate about 875 have been fired through it in the last 8 years. At first it was OK and thought I would warm up to it. Just cannot seem to get pass the "OK" point. Should find someone who really needs it.

Once bought a Rem M141, .35 Rem, from a stock maker who claimed he could restore it. Always wanted a pump .35 Rem. Stock maker said he could fix it, re-do the stock and other necessary work, etc. Well after 'bout 3 years I got the call that it was done. And so was the stock maker -- he died about a week earlier from a sudden and massive heart attack. All he did was glue in a mismatched -- at best-- piece of wood and install an cheap non-OEM plastic butt plate. The tag with his initials on it said "all work completed", but I guess he never bothered to look on the back of the tag to see what was to be done. Heard, via the grape vine, a few others were also dissatisfied with his work. Still in the back of the vault and I become p-o'ed whenever I see it.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray Newman wrote:Back in '06, I bought a Ruger 4 5/8" a blued .45 Colt Ruger New Model Vaquero. My range records indicate about 875 have been fired through it in the last 8 years. At first it was OK and thought I would warm up to it. Just cannot seem to get pass the "OK" point. Should find someone who really needs it.

Once bought a Rem M141, .35 Rem, from a stock maker who claimed he could restore it. Always wanted a pump .35 Rem. Stock maker said he could fix it, re-do the stock and other necessary work, etc. Well after 'bout 3 years I got the call that it was done. And so was the stock maker -- he died about a week earlier from a sudden and massive heart attack. All he did was glue in a mismatched -- at best-- piece of wood and install an cheap non-OEM plastic butt plate. The tag with his initials on it said "all work completed", but I guess he never bothered to look on the back of the tag to see what was to be done. Heard, via the grape vine, a few others were also dissatisfied with his work. Still in the back of the vault and I become p-o'ed whenever I see it.
Man, that'd bite!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

1886 Kropatschek only paid a couple of hundred for it at a yard sale, but it is now approaching five years waiting to find an ejector/extractor.

Might have to buy a $30k Bridgeport to make my own.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

AMT Hardballer (copy of the 1911), and AMT backup in 380. The most unreliable guns I have ever owned, complete jam o matics
1894c

Post by 1894c »

THESE all went down the road, say one:
Ruger Blackhawk & Super Blackhawk -- in .357 or .44mag, just can't shoot them accurately, SA grips and me don't mix.
Ruger Redhawk, 5 1/2" & 4" in .44mag -- didn't fit my hand.
1911 anything -- too heavy, limited capacity, and then I discovered Glock...
CZ Autos -- trigger extends to far for my shooting finger (great autos, but alas)
Walther PPK/s & PPK -- both had a trigger pull like a staple gun...
Ruger LCR in .38spl. -- +P ammo is not your friend.
S&W Scandium J-frame in .357mag -- after two shots in .357mag I was introduced to the "house of pain".
Tazer X26C -- took a full 5-second 50,000 volt ride for my LE training...words cannot express the pain and agony...I have access but don't own one...
x26c_hero_image.jpg
Winchester 94AE Trapper in 30-30 -- had issues, didn't go bang every time, sent it back to Winchester twice, sold it to a gunsmith at a loss.
Post-64 Winchester 94 -- when I learned that the receivers were made with sintered metal... :(
Double-barreled 12 gauge shotgun (name forgotten) with a plastic recoil pad -- ouch!
S&W 3-digit 9mm autos (owned 639, 659, 669)-- inaccurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got a Mosin from someone and didn't look down the bore..... :evil: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Canuck Bob wrote:My regrets revolve around buying into a gun culture myth and being disappointed with the reality. A 7MM Mag Rem 700 lefty years ago jumps to mind. I didn't like bolts and thought everyone can't be wrong so I stepped up. Hated the rifle, cartridge, and found bolts clumsy to operate and shoot. There was no denying the precision capabilities but that just wasn't important. Sold it and bought more 444 components.
I did the same thing with a Tikka in .270Win...everyone I hunted with here in the Pacific Northwest shoots a bolt-gun with a scope soooo I thought I should too...did that for two years, shot two deer, never was comfortable with it, just didn't handle right for me so I ran back to my leverguns and never looked back... :)