What gun would you bet on for accuracy...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: What gun would you bet on for accuracy...?

Post by AJMD429 »

7.62 Precision wrote:My .260 Rem AR or the precision 5.56 upper I carried in Iraq. Both would do it easy.

Of course, I could surely find a way to mess up the shot, if given the chance.
I hear that; I'm sure there are very few firearms I've shot that were bad enough I wasn't the reason for any misses... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

257 rbts on a winchester model 54 action with 20 inch heavy barrel, hornady custom 117gr plugs a dime even with the old two-stage trigger. Couldn't even see the target using a lever.
M54-5-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Not saying I'd hit anything but I'd give it whirl. The dime, my 6.5 Swedish mauser. The silver dollar my Howa .223.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Walker wrote:257 rbts on a winchester model 54 action with 20 inch heavy barrel, hornady custom 117gr plugs a dime even with the old two-stage trigger. Couldn't even see the target using a lever.

Now that's a sharp looking rifle right there 8)
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks! With that barrel it weighs 10 lbs though. Frank Pachmayr's master smith Freddie Brunner restocked it for me.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

So I'm the only one trying it? I sure hope someone is waiting until this weekend.

I Might Have Hit It

That is taking a shot with the Winchester 94 30-30, iron sights, at a dime, 100 yards downrange; I think there is a good chance that I hit it.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the dime to verify the hit.

I'll try again tomorrow as to keep in the idea of "just going home grabbing the cold firearm and taking it to the range (1st shot) $1000 bet on that dime ----not easy."
Of course; if I were actually betting, I might get a little nervy.

"Couldn't even see the target using a lever."
I would like to mention; you don't need to see the dime to hit it. I hung mine from a wire, about in the center of an 8" target, then aimed at the center of the 8 inch target.

Tomorrow I'll have a dime drilled more in the center, and thicker wire; to better ensure I recover the dime. :/
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

BrentD wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:I dont know if I could hit a dime at 100 but I get 3 shot groups at 100 with my 99 300 savage that you can cover with a dime. My 348 is a 3/4" group rifle at 100 with peep sights. danny
How do you guys DO that with non-magnifying sights; I can't even see the bullseye at that range without a scope...!
You don't have to see a dime to shoot a dime. But you do have to know where it is relative to something you can see. It if is in the middle of a large aiming bull, then it might be quite easy to hit it with iron sights and yet never actually see the dime.

Aiming precision with aperture sights on a long-radius singleshot rifle is on the order of 1/4 MOA. Maybe less.
I wish I would have noticed your explanation earlier, I had made mention of that technique a minute ago.
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Iron Sights, 30-30, Dime, 100 Yards

I recovered the dime this time... I will not bore you further.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Beauty of a shot!