How much would you pay for a car of truck?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: How much would you pay for a car of truck?

Post by gak »

olyinaz wrote:Yeah, I know it's stupid, but I sure like these:

Reminds me of the cars I lusted after as a kid.

Oly
No not stupid at all - instead, cool! I do think these (Challenger and Camaro, even 'Stang) should be scaled back down closer to the original sizes though. Definitely the Vette should go (or at least harken) back closer to the mid-year (63-67) proportions' sveltness. I guess all of these have gotten bigger and fatter as we (well, I) have. We should all go on a diet!
Last edited by gak on Sat May 19, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I bought a yellow 74 Challenger in 74 as I recall. 318 on the floor. Drove it coast to coast twice.

IIRC Indianagirl was with me when I bought it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

gak wrote: I do think these (Challenger and Camaro, even 'Stang) should be scaled back down closer to the original sizes though. Definitely the Vette should go (or at least harken) back closer to the mid-year (63-67) proportions' sveltness. I guess all of these have gotten bigger and fatter as we (well, I) have. We should all go on a diet!
True for me for sure, but I think in the case of the cars it's all of the safety gear and "crumple zones" that has made them so fat. When you look at modern A pillars it's nuts - you can roll the car ten times and the roof doesn't collapse. Good? Sure, but they need to make the A pillar out of some kind of expensive alloy in order to make it not huge and fat and an annoyance. Look at a 1970s and early 1980s auto A pillar and they look like they're barely able to hold the roof up. :lol:

I agreee 100% though - they need to find a ways to put the modern, safe auto on a diet because they've all gotten just too dang heavy and bulky. Could not agree more regarding the 'Vette.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I just put a new radiator in my 74 Maverick. The 302 I took out of my truck is awaiting a rebuild before going in the mav. :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I love Ford's but I am afraid they are pricing themselves out of the market.(seems just lately??)

Example---For a new 2012 Ford Taurus---they want $24,750 (after $2500 Rebate)
For a new 2012 Nissan Altima----They want $16,995 ($5000 off list)

Both cars had about same equipment. Something is going on with Ford??????????

Like to buy (Company owned in America)cars, but ??????????????

Oh, for a 2012 Ford Explorer 4X4 (XLT, only medium grade pkg) price---------------$35,320 w/tax,tags :lol: :shock:

Boy, my pretty new (2.5 years old) Kia Sportage LS 4X4 29,000 miles ($11,900)---not too bad!
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

Since I'm an old retired guy, not very much. I have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe we got a few years ago...with only 70,000 on it-for about $6000.

And I'm just buying a 1999 Buick Regal GS (supercharger) for $1500. This one needs some mechanical work, but I think I can get it legal, safe and working fine for under $2500 total.
They are nice old cars, leather seats, great ride, not bad gas mileage for a US V6...around 20 in town, 30 hiway. They are pretty fast for a mid size sedan, and a nice car for an old guy like me.

ADDED: I only had 1 new car in my life, a 1999 Hyundai Sonata, but I have about a dozen guitars, including several Les Pauls...I got my priorities where I want them.
mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

madman4570 wrote:I have a 1966(first year)Ford Bronco (170cid/standard shift)
Its all original with 70,000 miles, I bought from original owner in 1979

They seem to have the rocker panels go bad,but otherwise the sheet metal on those guys are like a tank.
Its that Turquoise blue(original). Kinda cool vehicle actually. This model year they did not have steering stops on it so you can turn it at direct angles.(I remember it actually would out go my brothers CJ5 in the tight areas because of how it turns)

Guess that first year people going down the highway like when seeing a deer or such and cranking the wheel would flip it,they then installed steering stops in 1967.Also it came from the factory with NO backup Lights.Also got a laugh at inspection time (when the kid inspecting it said---the back up lights don't work) :lol: I would say son------It came from factory that way--so just pass it! :wink:

So, my wife says its an eye sore in yard----what should I do???? (she says ---scrap that gaudy thing ?????????? :shock:)

Is cool with the top off/front windshield flipped down/windows cranked down----kinda reminds me of those Range Rovers over in Africa :lol:
Well, if she says git rid of it...give me a holler.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

What you buy now, should be geared to the future. Some think very bad times, are coming.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Jeep I am driving now paid $1000 for 5 years ago. I had to replace headgasket,radiator, and tires. I have not had to do anything but brakes and oil changes since. Vehicle before that was a Samurai, paid $300 for it, rebuilt trans drive it for over 9 years 220,000 miles had to do nothing but maintanance. One before that(and part of the time I had the Samurai) Ford F-150 4x4 paid 300, maintaned it, sold after 8 years for $300(to the grandson of the original owner, orterwise I would have kept it). I guess I am a cheapskate, 22 years of driveing for only $1600 in vehicle purchase costs.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

gak wrote:

Oly
No not stupid at all - instead, cool! I do think these (Challenger and Camaro, even 'Stang) should be scaled back down closer to the original sizes though. Definitely the Vette should go (or at least harken) back closer to the mid-year (63-67) proportions' sveltness. I guess all of these have gotten bigger and fatter as we (well, I) have. We should all go on a diet!
Out of them all{mustang, camararo},it has the closes look to a 60's, in the challenger's case 1970 pony car. I'm buying a hemi version next spring, even if i gotta skip a couple of meals to do it. American car manufactors' mistakenly build cars on the european modele. Bet if the big 3 made more retros like the challenger, the economy would roar 8)
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

*Bet if the big 3 made more retros like the challenger, the economy would roar*

Yep. I gotta agree. The same goes for leverguns. We don't need no stinkin' rebounding hammers or safeties!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

tman wrote:
gak wrote:
Oly
Out of them all{mustang, camararo},it has the closes look to a 60's, in the challenger's case 1970 pony car. I'm buying a hemi version next spring, even if i gotta skip a couple of meals to do it. American car manufactors' mistakenly build cars on the european modele. Bet if the big 3 made more retros like the challenger, the economy would roar 8)
If they actually built them here!

My last 4 (new) vehicles (3 trucks & 1 car), body parts were from 3 different US plants, engines from Mexico, Canada, & Japan, transmissions from Mexico & US and Canada, final assembly on all 4 was in the US, 2 were in TX.

I really miss my 1st new p/u (1974). Engine, trans and final assembly was all US, used all US SAE and USS bolts, not a metric to be found. Manual trans (4-spd compound low), no air, power brakes and steering was the only concession to comfort. Used it for horseshoein' and general getting around. Fuel prices in '77 made me trade it off for an import... stupid, stupid, stupid! With an anvil, forge and tools, I really needed to know just what size shoes I'd need for the day to make sure it could haul what I needed around. Lasted 6 months and was never happier when it rolled and went off in trade for a '72 Blazer, even if it had an auto trans and a/c! Another'n that I should have never sold it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Shasta wrote:*Bet if the big 3 made more retros like the challenger, the economy would roar*

Yep. I gotta agree. The same goes for leverguns. We don't need no stinkin' rebounding hammers or safeties!

SHASTA
Original saddle ring carbines in modern calibers. Retro muscle cars, 60's blues/rock. We need to start a buisness and have the rich and very generious LEVERGUNNERS to ANGEL FUND it :wink:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

tman wrote:
Shasta wrote:*Bet if the big 3 made more retros like the challenger, the economy would roar*

SHASTA
Original saddle ring carbines in modern calibers. Retro muscle cars, 60's blues/rock. We need to start a buisness and have the rich and very generious LEVERGUNNERS to ANGEL FUND it :wink:
+1 to the SRCs...and retro cars...and blues rock!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:I have a 1966(first year)Ford Bronco (170cid/standard shift)
Its all original with 70,000 miles, I bought from original owner in 1979

They seem to have the rocker panels go bad,but otherwise the sheet metal on those guys are like a tank.
Its that Turquoise blue(original). Kinda cool vehicle actually. This model year they did not have steering stops on it so you can turn it at direct angles.(I remember it actually would out go my brothers CJ5 in the tight areas because of how it turns)

Guess that first year people going down the highway like when seeing a deer or such and cranking the wheel would flip it,they then installed steering stops in 1967.Also it came from the factory with NO backup Lights.Also got a laugh at inspection time (when the kid inspecting it said---the back up lights don't work) :lol: I would say son------It came from factory that way--so just pass it! :wink:

So, my wife says its an eye sore in yard----what should I do???? (she says ---scrap that gaudy thing ?????????? :shock:)

Is cool with the top off/front windshield flipped down/windows cranked down----kinda reminds me of those Range Rovers over in Africa :lol:

Next time she says "scrap it" - show her this

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/31/icon ... in-review/

----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Now THERE'S a truck.

I love the old Bronco I.

I would love one even more if I could put a diesel in it...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!