Does anybody care why I don't post much anymore?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Does anybody care why I don't post much anymore?

Post by C. Cash »

It's not like it was when we were there Joe(greater Phoenix area). Seems like folks are getting out of there...very compacted and combat driving. When I head from Mesa up to Flagstaff it feels like I can breath again.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mescalero wrote:My place, N.M. :)
You need to see it.
You need to read and answer your email.
FYI it is Aug 16th.
C. Cash wrote:It's not like it was when we were there Joe(greater Phoenix area). Seems like folks are getting out of there...very compacted and combat driving. When I head from Mesa up to Flagstaff it feels like I can breath again.
I am in such bad shape I actually miss the Phoenix traffic. :roll:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Here's something about Springfield that you don't know.
The city gets it's water from Lake Springfield. On a regular basis they have reports of beach closings due to high levels of bacteria and other forms of contamination, yet they claim the water is safe to drink. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe,
My old email does not work anymore, when qwest changed to century link, my email went bye bye, remember when I had to get Hobie to reset my status here and he could not restore my post count?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mescalero wrote:Joe,
My old email does not work anymore, when qwest changed to century link, my email went bye bye, remember when I had to get Hobie to reset my status here and he could not restore my post count?
OK, gotcha. Also got your email through the forum system and updated my email addys.
I've had two complete hard drive failures this year and am running off the email list I pulled from my old Windows 98 back up box.

Yes, I made backups. But somehow or another the CDs did not burn right and this new box will not read them ... :x

Joe
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Hope your health improves as well as the range time.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe real sorry to hear it been going down hill for ya bud!

I know you have some legit health stuff going on.

But, I honestly believe that your weight problem is whats killing you.
It's causing major health problems.
I think it is kinda like being an alcoholic,where it makes you mentally kinda give up(you say,heck another doughnut/who cares about me)
Joe, I wish you could get checked out and go on a very low carb diet.
At least to get 100lbs off.(dude you would be floored how better you would feel)Please look into a low carb diet.(check with Doc)

You can eat many things/many cheap things/and the weight would fly off you.
I know you like to eat(and with a low carb,you can eat not starve)

If I didn't care about you I wouldn't say squat about this and just think(??????)

I would have thought after your cancer scare(then finding out/your ok)you would have thanked God and honored him with improving your health.What worries me more than you injuries at present is your weight. You need to get it squared away now dude/then start worry about any type shooting when you improve your health.

Joe, I know if you really want to---------------you could! You are a better man than what you are giving(yourself)

Feel free to blast me brother cause what I say doesn't come easy! :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Joe, we need you around here. You are such a wealth of imformation Joe.

Any way besides, I'm glad. Glad You are so honest and fess up when you got the blues. Takes guts. Hang in there Joe. Your a gent.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:Joe real sorry to hear it been going down hill for ya bud!

I think it is kinda like being an alcoholic,where it makes you mentally kinda give up(you say,heck another doughnut/who cares about me)
At least to get 100lbs off.(dude you would be floored how better you would feel)Please look into a low carb diet.(check with Doc)

If I didn't care about you I wouldn't say squat about this and just think(??????)

I would have thought after your cancer scare(then finding out/your ok)you would have thanked God and honored him with improving your health.What worries me more than you injuries at present is your weight. You need to get it squared away now dude/then start worry about any type shooting when you improve your health.

Joe, I know if you really want to---------------you could! You are a better man than what you are giving(yourself)

Dude, I could seriously lose 100 and benefit from it....I've smoked dope and quit easily...same with cigarettes, booze, and dwarf female nude mud wrestling. This overweight thing really sucks and at over 60 will kill me. (I already have had diabetes for about five years) The biggest thing is the back pain and loss of flexibility. I can ride a bicycle or row a drift boat for hours because it's sitting down.
So, I wonder, does a low carb diet consist of common sense and lots of veggies and meat? Or is there a trick to it?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BlaineG wrote:

Dude, I could seriously lose 100 and benefit from it....I've smoked dope and quit easily...same with cigarettes, booze, and dwarf female nude mud wrestling. This overweight thing really sucks and at over 60 will kill me. (I already have had diabetes for about five years) The biggest thing is the back pain and loss of flexibility. I can ride a bicycle or row a drift boat for hours because it's sitting down.
So, I wonder, does a low carb diet consist of common sense and lots of veggies and meat? Or is there a trick to it?
Glad you stopped fighting with dwarfs in the mud, thats messy. How about sumo instead!

N 8) :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Joe,

I just figgered that you were distracted by other things and that you weren't shooting or posting much because of that. I had no idea that you had those health challenges.

Praying for you; be well!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:

Blaine,

Friend listen----(first, I can only tell you for some people what diet can be safe,this you have sugar??? ask your Doc if ok???

Now, this low carb thing is an absolute miracle. Why??? Because men(store FAT in the GUT/INNER GUT/that is where everything starts to go bad.This massive GUT PILE FAT effects most of your internal organs.It causes congestive drastic damaging effects to heart/Lungs/etc.You get Suger Diabetes/High Blood Pressure etc.

The thing is with this----------------------YOU CAN EAT BRO AND NOT STARVE. (YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STARVE EATING 1500 cals a day to just to give up. You can be full/healthy/happy/wise.

Example of a day of LOW CARB LIFE.(Actually what I am eating right now cause I want to drop 30lbs in a few weeks.

Morning----7am----8oz Cherry Yogart(Alde brand)39 cents. (2 cups coffee/cream)
9am----4 large eggs/big slice of sharp cheese,stirred and nuked in casserole dish(2.5mins)topped with Black Beans/Hot Sauce.
11am---3 celery sticks loaded with peanut butter.
1.30pm---12oz (big can)can of tuna/tablespoon of Mayo/4 big dill pickles.
5:30pm---2 LARGE ground sirloin burgers/no bun topped with little ketchup/onions/pickles. and big severing of mixed vegtables. (will have later tonight at around 8pm small bowl of cottage cheese and 20 sea salted smoked almonds with a Mich Ultra while my wife has a glass of Merlot.

The key is (NO SODA/NO SUGAR stuff/LIMITED COFFEE/BEER if Michelob Ultra maybe 1/
Rather have you drink the coffee mostly in the am(Then WATER)ALL YOU WANT.Splash a tiny amount of lime juice in it.)Get a fancy crystal glass and drink it ice cold and you will think your doing something special. :lol:

This is just my example of one days menu----for me. (for someone else maybe)they just want 3 eggs/bacon/---am
(2) 1/4 lb beef patties & bowl of cottage cheese---mid (1)baked chicken/tossed salad/beans---dinner
snack----1----8oz cherry fruit in the bottom yogart.

My wife says actually when I do this diet(our grocery bill DROPS)
I go by my pants(I am 6'4")36" inseam and weigh (right now)265lbs but the 36" waist is getting tight :o so---
Should weigh 235lbs and take a 34" waist(when I am right)this will take me---about 1 month,maybe 6 weeks ??
It seems then if I eat normal (sensible)I will be stable for few years then do it again.
But Blaine---ask your Doc.(if he says go for it)bet by summers end you will drop 50-60lbs.
Key is when dropping that kind of weight(drink water to rid body of all excess waste going be coming out)
Again,try at own risk with Doctors approval.

While on this (Temporary Diet)good things---(for me)-Venison/beef/peanut butter/milk/cheese/chicken/tuna/almonds/cottage cheese/yogart/eggs/bacon/some black beans/tossed salad w/vinegar,olive oil dressing/fish/GREEN vegs/etc.

Bad things----Bread/pasta/cereal/soda/reg beer/potatoes/deserts/bananas/carrots/pastry/most high sugar fruits/ etc.

When you get to your healthy desired weight(you can add some things back in with moderation)but when you are thinner/more active/your metabolic level comes up so your cal intake will too(some)just when you get at right weight(eat sensible right)

But the good thing about this diet/its doable and you don't feel like you joined the TV show(Survivor)YOU CAN EAT!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe, I'm sorry to hear this. I've not been able to make it here, or post nearly as much as I used to - or would like to. Mostly due to work, but also the neck injury after my car accident in March. No fun being away from the best guys, and best site, on the web...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've been on a carb diet 3 or 4 times... last time I was 247... and at 6' even, that's a tad much. The first time I dropped back to 185 inside a year. And thought... "oh boy, it's hamburger and fries again!" Wrong! That's why I'm back up to 235, and havin' trouble with the 36 waist jeans!!!

Every nite I tell myself, "...self... start back tomorrow!" And every morning, it's the same ol' sausage & eggs with hashbrowns and toast... the rest of the day is downhill. I got all the "will" power in the world. It's the "won't" that escapes me!

I need to be back at that 185 and this time... NO MORE BURGERS! The funny part is, I actually LIKE the carb free diet. But it seems I like potatoes and bread better! Go figure an Irish/Scots/Welsh/English boy likes potatoes and bread? Sorta like takin' pasta from an Italian!!! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yeah, tell me about it. Being of European heritage: German, Polish, Lithuanian, Dutch, and bit a Irish in the mix I'm quite used to meat and potatoes.
I can only go so long without some sort of potato meal and if I don't get it I'll binge like a fiend.

The weight needs to go. Hmmm, I wonder if I could hide some of it under the bed?

Joe
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hope you're feeling better soon Joe! As bad as it seems, keep your chin up and try to make the best of life! Remember there are those who have it worse. My neighbor was riding his bike last year to keep in shape after retiring. He had a heart attack and died while riding home.
As long as your breathing and still getting out of bed, you can enjoy life to whatever extent you make of it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Joe,
I am very sorry to hear about your accident. About 25 years ago I had a small accident and I ended up with a bit of neck trauma. The left side of the back of my neck was in tension and stiff and I could barely turn my neck to the left.

I went to 2 different chriopracters with no relief so I quit going. Then a new chriopractor came to town and I made an appointment. SUCCESS! He took an xray to try and determine the problem. It only took two appointments and I was back to my old self! He adjusted me totally different than the other 2 and I asked him about his method.
He replied GONSTEAD.

I would suggest that you make an appointment with a Gonstead doctor in your area. You can read about their method and find a doctor nearest you.
http://www.gonstead.com
Under "Find A Gonstead Doctor" click on your state on the map.

Regarding your nutritional plan, definitely eliminate sugar and artificial sweetners (can cause cancer) but I would not eat as much in animal products as Madman 45-70 indicated (increases risk of cancer and other ailments as we get older). Instead, consume more plant foods ...... vegetables, rice, beans, etc.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I like Madman's enthusiasm and willingness to talk straight --- he is correct in saying that exercise is the fountain of youth (or fountain of middle age might be a closer description :lol: )

--- a few months ago, i had a series of injuries ranging from a badly sprained ankle to several broken ribs. The ribs were broken close to the insertion point in back, -- i have had a heckuva time getting over it

-- long story short, i haven't been able to do a lot of the things i normally enjoy doing -- lifting weights was out, cycling was out, and i was starting to get really depressed. I would hit the treadmill to get some exercise, but when i walked fast enough to get my heart rate up, it became almost unbearable on my ankle and knee -- i really felt like i could not win. Doing 12 oz curls became much easier though. The most depressing thing was when my pants started to get snug so i just started wearing looser fitting khakis everywhere. I thought i was gaining weight, but when i checked, i hadn't gained a pound --- this meant i was losing muscle and gaining a bit of flab -- all in a matter of a couple of months

Enter the YMCA. I have been swimming for several weeks now , 3-4 times a week and it has been great for me. When i started, i could only swim the length of the pool a couple of times , but can now swim 1 mile on one day a week when i want to "hurt" myself a bit, but typically do a 1/2 mile workout on all other days.

You may not be interested in swimming a mile starting out, but they have water classes and water walking, i have seen gents older than myself and much larger than myself really putting in some good laps water walking - faster than a novice swimmer like myself. Plus, you can strap on enough flotation devices that all you have to do is concentrate on paddling or kicking too if you like.

I'm not sure how many calories swimming burns -- i am sure it burns some, -- but for me the biggest benefit is the recuperative effect it has on my joints and now it is making me want to dip my toe into the other activities i love doing again. The Y is only 4 miles from my house - i should be riding my bike there, but i hadn't felt like it . Now i feel like i can start riding again on a limited basis.

As for cost, the Y has programs for folks on fixed or lower incomes too to keep cost from becoming an issue. (If you dont have a YMCA reasonably close, i guess that idea is out -- but i have enjoyed my membership there thus far )
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Streetstar wrote:I like Madman's enthusiasm and willingness to talk straight --- he is correct in saying that exercise is the fountain of youth (or fountain of middle age might be a closer description :lol: )

--- a few months ago, i had a series of injuries ranging from a badly sprained ankle to several broken ribs. The ribs were broken close to the insertion point in back, -- i have had a heckuva time getting over it

-- long story short, i haven't been able to do a lot of the things i normally enjoy doing -- lifting weights was out, cycling was out, and i was starting to get really depressed. I would hit the treadmill to get some exercise, but when i walked fast enough to get my heart rate up, it became almost unbearable on my ankle and knee -- i really felt like i could not win. Doing 12 oz curls became much easier though. The most depressing thing was when my pants started to get snug so i just started wearing looser fitting khakis everywhere. I thought i was gaining weight, but when i checked, i hadn't gained a pound --- this meant i was losing muscle and gaining a bit of flab -- all in a matter of a couple of months

Enter the YMCA. I have been swimming for several weeks now , 3-4 times a week and it has been great for me. When i started, i could only swim the length of the pool a couple of times , but can now swim 1 mile on one day a week when i want to "hurt" myself a bit, but typically do a 1/2 mile workout on all other days.

You may not be interested in swimming a mile starting out, but they have water classes and water walking, i have seen gents older than myself and much larger than myself really putting in some good laps water walking - faster than a novice swimmer like myself. Plus, you can strap on enough flotation devices that all you have to do is concentrate on paddling or kicking too if you like.

I'm not sure how many calories swimming burns -- i am sure it burns some, -- but for me the biggest benefit is the recuperative effect it has on my joints and now it is making me want to dip my toe into the other activities i love doing again. The Y is only 4 miles from my house - i should be riding my bike there, but i hadn't felt like it . Now i feel like i can start riding again on a limited basis.

As for cost, the Y has programs for folks on fixed or lower incomes too to keep cost from becoming an issue. (If you dont have a YMCA reasonably close, i guess that idea is out -- but i have enjoyed my membership there thus far )
Absolutely fantastic idea Streetstar!
Water exercise probably is one of the best things going.
Extremely sorry about your issues going on presently(cause I know you stay in great shape and know its killing you)
But knowing you,you will get it back and then some!
Prayers up friend! God Bless

and still praying for Mr. Miller too!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:
Extremely sorry about your issues going on presently(cause I know you stay in great shape and know its killing you)
But knowing you,you will get it back and then some!
Prayers up friend! God Bless

and still praying for Mr. Miller too!

Thanks Madman ----- one other little tip i have used so far is to try not to make too many radical changes at once. The mind will revolt before the body will.
That is, if starting out with some kind of new program involving diet and exercise, pick one or the other to start with for the first 2-3 weeks.
In my case, i wanted to start swimming first. Now that i have been doing it for several weeks, it is becoming an ingrained activity and something i now plan my day around . I haven't really messed with eating less during this time because that would mess with my head too much, but now its about time to start tweaking the diet a bit. I usually eat clean and have no problems doing so, but its still very possible to eat too much "clean and natural" food too. One trip to my local organic grocery store would reveal enough homemade cheese, grass fed flank steaks, and bread varieties to put weight on a hard-gainer :lol:
But its time to make some small changes every other day and work up to a 5-600 calorie a day deficit. Little things like switching from skim milk to almond milk and weaning myself away from red meat except for maybe once a week add up ---- but making radical changes all at once, for me, would result in failure.
On the flip side, some people like a radical change to jump start their system though --
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have been laying off the red meat,I do not need to lose weight, but I do feel better.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

At 6'1", I need to drop 25 LBS. to get down to FIGHTING WEIGHT :wink: at 178lbs. Being 52 years old and known to be one that enjoys a FEW :lol: beers and good food, it's a tough battle :oops: