OT: What have you found while out hunting or hiking???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: What have you found while out hunting or hiking???

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Found this '73 Trapdoor(middle one), it was apparently set against a hollow in a tree and fell into it. Eventually the tree pretty much grew up around it with the hollow filling up with forest junk and dirt. I was leaning against the tree, got bored and started poking the hollow with my knife. Kept hitting something solid, dug a hole and saw metal, so I dug the whole thing out and lo and behold there was one very dirty old trapdoor. Had lots of surface rust, but turned out none of the rust caused much pitting, the bore was packed solid muck and after clearing it out, it has a few pits, but is entirely serviceable. Took me a couple of years to get like in this picture though.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

In the early 90's, while diving off Pensacola, FL, I found a barnacle-encrusted Casio diver's watch in about 20' of water that still worked! No kidding. It was an hour off, though, due to daylight saving's time. I'd estimate it had been there about 6 months or so, because even though it was covered with barnacles, it was still recognizable as a watch. My diving buddy saw it first, so he got to keep it.
Guess what brand watch I've had on my wrist ever since?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Triggernosis wrote:Guess what brand I've had on my wrist ever since?
Lemme guess... A Springfield '73 Trapdoor?!?!?

Just kidding! :wink:

Very interesting to see what's been found, and that this post is as lively over here as it was on the boating forum. (Fewer dead bodies in the woods though, whew...)

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Back in the '60s I found a .32 WCF 1873 Winchester that had been used for a fence post. The gun was not badly rusted except the end of the barrel where it was shoved into the lava. The bore was gone and the wood, too. I cleaned the gun up, got an old '73 stock and forend for it and tried to shoot the thing. The bullets keyholed at 10', so I had a neighbor who was a good lever smith bore it to .38 Sp. Man, was it a shooter then. I ended up trading it for a 1st gen .44 Spl SA. Kept that a few years and trade it off, too.

Fast forward 40 yrs. In 2003 I was working the fires south and east of San Diego, out near Desanso, and we found an AK the was left leaning against a tree at a burned out home site. The rds in the mag had cooked off, as had the one in the chamber. One of my guys ejected the case and the gun seemed to function OK so he put it in the toolbox of my PU and took it home after we returned to Northern CA. I reckon he still has it.

I have found plenty bottles and Indian artifacts in my walks, but only a couple of guns. Two years ago a friend found a Winchester '66 in a mine up in the Sierra. I have not seen it, but he says it's in fair enough condition. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Neighbor of mine found an old Ballard barrelled action being used as a fence post. Was well-rusted when he found it. I've seen it and handled it. I've got a WWII M1 carbine that was found stuck barrel-first in the ground in a forest in France. The action still works but the barrel is pitted almost through to the bore. French farmer found it. Myself, I've found lots of arrow heads and a spear point. Also hammer heads and pottery shards.