When aircraft had style plus just cool aircraft

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: When aircraft had style plus just cool aircraft

Post by gak »

A lot of folks don't know about the Boeing 720, a shorter variant of the 707. United chose Douglas for its long distance plane and was the biggest DC-8 customer early on IIRC, but also had a small fleet of 720s--just as Pan Am had a little known covey of DC-8s) (Pan Am was the 707's biggest contract). I remember Western was one of the big 720 clients. Another gorgeous plane--like the 8 and 707, "not a line drawn wrong"-- and was quite the performer. Here's a rare shot of one in United trim:
Last edited by gak on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

United picked up the 720s when they absorbed Capitol Airlines. They never ordered any. Same with L-1011s and 747SPs when they got Pan Am's Pacific routes.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

KB50J refueling F-100, F-101 and F105 simultaneously, late 1950's, early 1960's. I was a maintenance mechanic on these at Biggs AFB TX and Yokota AFB Japan. They were phased out and boneyarded 1 Jan 1965. There is one at the Pima Air Museum in Tuscon AZ.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

jn - incredible shot. We had all three varieties of the fighters at Itazuke on Kyushu in southern Japan (101s throughout our stay, but the 105s replaced our 100s half-way through)...and my father flew the B50 earlier in the 50s. I was just a kid but remember Yokota (and Tachikawa).
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

gak wrote:
olyinaz wrote:.Who can tell me what the four stars represent?
Always wondered. Four decades of service at the time - 1929-1969? Another view of the stars treatment:
The four stars represent the four airlines that Boeing merged to form United Air Lines. From Wikipedia:

"United Airlines traces its claim to be the oldest commercial airline in the United States to the Varney Air Lines air mail service of Walter Varney, who also founded Continental Airlines. It was founded in Boise, Idaho. Varney's chief pilot, Leon "Lee" Cuddeback, flew the first Contract Air Mail flight in a Swallow biplane from Varney's headquarters in Boise, Idaho, to the railroad mail hub at Pasco, Washington, on April 5, 1926 and returned the following day with 200 pounds of mail. April 6, 1926 is regarded in the United Airlines company history as both its own birthday and the date on which "true" airline service—operating on fixed routes and fixed schedules—began in the United States.

In 1927, airplane pioneer William Boeing founded his own airline, Boeing Air Transport, and began buying other airmail carriers, including Varney's. Within four years, Boeing's holdings grew to include airlines, airplane and parts manufacturing companies, and several airports. In 1929, Boeing merged his company with Pratt & Whitney to form United Aircraft and Transport Corporation (UATC). In March 1928, Boeing Air Transport, National Air Transport, Varney Airlines and Pacific Air Transport were combined as United Air Lines, providing coast-to-coast passenger service and mail service."

Elrey Jeppesen, who invented the charting system that all pilots across the globe use for navigation, was a United Air Lines pilot. The main terminal at Denver Intl. Appt. is named after him.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

This continues to be a most fascinating and informative thread :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Oly, that's great history on United. But, depending on when those stars appeared, I'm probably also pretty close on those four decades too - and I'm sticking to it - ha! When exactly did those stars show up?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

gak wrote:Oly, that's great history on United. But, depending on when those stars appeared, I'm probably also pretty close on those four decades too - and I'm sticking to it - ha! When exactly did those stars show up?
The four stars started showing up on United logos and uniform badges in the 1930s. United pilot hat badges and uniform wings still sport the four stars today! :D

WWII vintage UAL hat badge:

U.S. airline service traces its roots back to the Contract Air Mail services established by the U.S. Post. 'Till the day Northwest Airlines, an original air mail carrier, ceased to exist a few years ago, their pilots still wore U.S. Air Mail pilot's wings. I thought that was pretty neat:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The above mention of Leon Cuddeback got me to remembering. For a time, I worked out at Cuddeback Aerial Gunnery Range. It was named for Leon. Not sure if it's still used. But, there must be tons of unexploded ordinance out there. When a rocket or bomb didn't explode, it was "marked" by the folks who were doing the scoring from the observation tower. No idea why they marked them, cuz no one was ever going to go out on a range that had unexploded ordinance dating back to at least WWII.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Baja_Traveler
Levergunner

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Love them Lines:

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

The Lancaster that is based at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum had an incident today. Over the winter maintainance check ride was in progress when the right wingtip folded back. Aircraft landed safely and the wing section has been sent out for inspection.

This is 1 of only 2 flying Lancasters in the world. The same one that I mentioned in a previous post in this topic. I have video taken in the fall posted on my website pierresplace.ca.

One way to look at this is, very lucky, but at the sametime Murphy happens. The Lanc flys about 75 hrs per year average. I do not know if this wing section had been looked at since the restoration back in the 80s.

In any case it is a priceless aircraft.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

deleted
Last edited by BigSky56 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I really dig Blackhawks! The chopper and the gun. :D

These are a bit worse for wear...

All taken on Grenada, late 1983.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, we're at 24 pages now. Do we need to start a new thread to ease up on the bandwidth and make new pics easier to find?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I will add one more picture. Battle of Britain heros. And they have STYLE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

awp101 wrote:OK, we're at 24 pages now. Do we need to start a new thread to ease up on the bandwidth and make new pics easier to find?
I wouldn't be averse to a "...Just Cool Aircraft II" :)

Pdentrem, a cool shot there! Yes, classic.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I had a chance to visit the Commemorative (fmrly Confederate) Air Force's museum at Falcon Field in Mesa AZ this afternoon. First time in a few years and what a treat. Luckily, the B-17 Sentimental Journey was there in all its glory, and after 40-some years I got to climb around in a B-17 again. Now, I'm not a small fellow--and certainly have "grown" since my first tour (different but also fully outfitted 17 in 1970 or so at this exact same site)--so it was quite daunting moving around in these tight quarters! (I didn't even try to "walk the plank" through the bombay!--fully loaded with bombs--but cheated and went around to the waist gunners' door to access the hind quarters) This lovely lady is fully outfitted with 13 or so 50 cal's. On a 99 degree day it got quite toasty very quickly--not exactly the orignal crews' problem once they got to altitude, where it sometimes dipped to 50 below. Can't imagine.

Top turret gunner's view aft (when on the ground). Also a tight squeeze for me! Hard to see here shot through mildly tinted plexiglas (one of the few modern concessions?) beyond the tail is a B-25, also in full if not as gleaming trim.

For you locals--or visitors to the Phoenix area in the next few weeks--Sentimental is here where it's been wintering til May 20th before it takes off for its annual all-summer tour across the country. I ran out of juice on my camera/phone, but the museum's hangar also houses two pristine P-51 Mustangs and an equally clean F-4 Phantom.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

gak wrote:On a 99 degree day it got quite toasty very quickly--not exactly the orignal crews' problem once they got to altitude, where it sometimes dipped to 50 below. Can't imagine.
Unless they were stationed in the Mediterranean Theater. Or the Pacific Theater. 99*F with humidity to match... :wink:
gak wrote:mildly tinted plexiglas (one of the few modern concessions?)
I've seen greenish tinted Plexi (or real glass) used for the brow or overhead windows in the cockpit areas of multi-engined a/c dating from the 30s, so a mild tint may not be out of place. Good question though.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

gak wrote:Top turret gunner's view aft (when on the ground). Also a tight squeeze for me! Hard to see here shot through mildly tinted plexiglas (one of the few modern concessions?) beyond the tail is a B-25, also in full if not as gleaming trim.
Not sure what's up with that green tinted plexiglass. I found a few original Kodachromes and I don't think I see a tint, so...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

DANG pretty aircraft!!!

FAST and deadly. Just love the Jug.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Here's one not many people are aware of.

Experimental B-17 with 4 Allison engines (XB-38). Idea scrapped because the P-38's took priority with the Allison engines and performance boost wasn't as much as expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

With those liquid cooled engines, the Germans would have probably shot a whole bunch more down.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

UncleBuck wrote:With those liquid cooled engines, the Germans would have probably shot a whole bunch more down.
Oh I dunno, the Lancaster seemed to do pretty well.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Remarkable how close the Lancaster was to the B-24 or vice versa. I wonder if one influenced the other - or just a coincidence.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Maybe so, but didn't the RAF just bomb at night, while we daylight bombed?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

UncleBuck wrote:Maybe so, but didn't the RAF just bomb at night, while we daylight bombed?
Yeah, I hear you and there's no denying that a bullet or shrapnel through a radiator spelled the eventual end of an inline engine whereas a radial might continue to function and still make some power with a jug blown clean off. But honestly, there were a huge number of liquid cooled bombers and fighters in the war and they got the job done pretty darn well.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - When aircraft had style

Post by Panzercat »

Grizz wrote:I'm kind of partial to this one:

another classic beauty
There were a few of these at Oshkosh 2011.

But I've always wanted a seaplane, y'know? That Super Goose is downright sexy in a classical sort of way.

And on the same wishlish, but probably less expensive, there's an autogyro somewhere :D

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

UncleBuck wrote:Maybe so, but didn't the RAF just bomb at night, while we daylight bombed?
Flying at night over Germany wasn't particularly safe. They had radar, AAA, night fighters, etc. Losses were significant, but I don't know how they compared, percentage-wise, to the daylight ops.
Have you hugged your rifle today?