The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Well that's a bigger shock that I thought, here I thought you were talking about Miss Apple! That's tough alright!
History fact- the original toy breeds were developed for royalty, to sit on laps and draw the fleas off the people. Dog has a higher body temperature so the fleas go there first. Saved the 'high blooded' from getting the plague.
Now if ya have labradors they think they are lap dogs and keep ya warm! :lol:
I'm with you, these breeders have indeed caused many health related problems in dogs. Sure I'm a breeder but I do my best to test for health problems, if a stud has ANY thing I don't like I'm not breeding my dog to it- end of story!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Uh oh I win page 73- everyone send me a 73!!!!!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:34 pmUh oh I win page 73- everyone send me a 73!!!!!!!
Okay, I'll be sending you 73 virgins!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You mean model of course not a real 1873.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Model of 1873
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

For this Model of 1873

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks Fred for posting the various "1873's"....

Ok Gunny.....THE FLOOR AND THE PRIZES ARE YOURS!!!!

Fred.....do the right thing please...send Gunny a case of Coors and those 1873 Colts......whew! I was worried that I might have to give up what Jay couldn't find.

Our pet cemetery......after burying Max I pulled out all of the "tombstones" and powerwashed them. On a good warm and dry day I'll paint the dogs names.....usually get 3 years or more before I have to repaint them......wonder if they make an inexpensive tool that engraves stone, something similar to the buzz tools you engrave steel with.....Master Gunny?

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm, engrave stone? Have to think about that. I suppose a carbide burr might do it but I dont know how long it might last/ how many you might need. A Dremel or other rotary tool would do.

PLEASE keep the Coors- I'm not a fan ! As for the Colts, just send 1, your pick! :D

Had some rain overnight, forecast looks ok for today.

One of my shooting buddies just sent me an audio clip from the CDC. There are scams out now , CDC telling you to stay at home for one reason or another- this says 'you are to self quarantine for 2 possibly 3 weeks because you have a small weenie'
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I tell ya Gunny.....the top of my hate list is a child abuser, after that is a thief and scammers fit in with the thiefs.....the law protects these people like supervisors and the unions protect the bums at work.

Well...looks like a nice day to pick up our taxes at H&R....heard the banks are closed except for drive though.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm worried about gunnymack, here he is passing up my offer of 73 virgins... in favor of a shiney Colt! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At least the Colt does not make lots of whiny demands.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:28 pmAt least the Colt does not make lots of whiny demands.
Yes it does... "FEED ME... FEED ME... FEED ME!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yet another prize from 1873.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Another 30 32-20s through the Mr. 32-20 dies today, end of the first box of Starline. With the CA fruits and nuts prissy 85 gr Hornady JHPs over 4.0 gr of W231. Mr 32-20 can likely tell us what I can expect out of a 6 1/2" barrel. ;-)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Unless they are 73 virgin gun dogs that may uteruses would drive a guy absolutely BONKERS!!

Now if ya had 73 virgin SAAs ok then I'll take em !

Besides I'm not Muslim but a reformed Druid, I can pray at shrubs instead of just trees! :lol:

You keep mentioning 'prissy CA' 85 grainers... why are they prissy? Is it a left coast regulation?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

20200415_172849.jpg
Hi, my name is Winnie and today I'm 10 years old. I have 19 kids and not one of them sent me a card, not even the 2 that live with me - rotten kids!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

4 grains of 231 with a Ca.prissy 85 grainer.....jacketed.......mm......out of my head......800-850.

So....me and mom head out and pick up our taxes....got NOTHING back and owe Pa. $56...WTF?!!!! But on the plus side the man said I paid no taxes all year. :D yea...in the eyes of the government I'm poor and destitute....don't bother me a bit as I've been paying taxes of some sort since Nineteen Sixty Eight..

Flush with cash I head over to Pet Smart for cat stuff and then to Home Depot to buy me a plasma cutter......there's a line outside with people only going in when others come out. Nope, patience is not one of my better virtues....I leave figuring I've been using a hacksaw and a cut off wheel for fifty years and a few more months won't matter.

Paid ZERO interest or penalties on this investment that used to be an 1895 Winchester......Now you know WHY the government wants to have paperwork and thus, a paper record for taxes on ALL guns, long and short and also why they want a cashless society.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

800 - 850 is what my investigation suggested. We shall see. Maybe I will haul my chrony to check, maybe not. But the other chance I had to buy the 33-20/32 mag I tried in the 50 ft 5 bay basement range and with maybe rifle ammo, it was LOUD And it was not nice and really Calif prissy like I like them. I expect my 11.0 2400 liads may be like that. But these I wanted to be pleasant. And they should be. I did an experiment with loading down a .45 Colt with WSL. Got it to bounce off a knot in a 2x4 at my feet. But that was the old days. Six, you shoulda been there. We could have had fun. ;-)

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Freddy Kruger....

I will load up 5 of each load tonight....4 gains of 231 and 11 grains of 2400 and test them tomorrow....believe I have some 85 jacketed.....the 231 load will be shot out of a revolver as I don't have a strong revolver for the 2400 load....I'll see later tonight.....check my records using loads out of revolvers vs. rifles to see what the difference is....I'll be able to come close.....

6 o de bro wit da hoe.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great, looking forward to the results

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad to see the kid came across with the cash buddy! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Finally got the tool box installed on the trailer this afternoon. Got some decommissioned fire hose from the local volunteer FD and used that to keep the aluminum off the steel brackets.

Coated the inside with "Flex Seal", probably 3/16" thick. It was either black or white... I figured it'd be really hot there so chose the white. Ah well, the rust chains and binders will tone it down eventually!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:20 pm Glad to see the kid came across with the cash buddy! :D
Never was concerned a bit....I used the "Sixgun Method" which is now only reserved for a small elite group......Gun went out right away as soon as I got the FFL from Cody's dealer through an email.

Griff....looks super bro! Looks so good I'm gonna send Jay down there with his 37XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX extra large buffalo coat.

OK...what else is going on? Looks like the beginnings of anarchy in Michigan........people don't realize the government has no money...they just distribute other people's money....

Old Savage....give me a wake up call...say.......9 a.m. YOUR time.....after my "morning" coffee I'd like to get started before dusk. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Another thing Old Savage...just looked.......no 85 grain jacketed. Just 100 grain Speer, 100 grain Remington and 115 grain Barnes.......it's be close.--6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Nice job Griff.

Well, another spring, another explosion. Last year it was the propane explosion over in Farmington.
Today, the digester exploded at the paper mill in Jay, west of Farmington. Guy sitting in a log truck got it on video. It's on FB. Looks like a mushroom cloud from an A-bomb. It's a miracle nobody was killed. Pieces and wood fiber rained down all over. :shock:
Gettin so it ain't safe around here.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay...the papermill in JAY??!!!....might have been spontaneous combustion from thousands of old buffalo coats. Dang!!! Yours didn't light up did it????!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jay Bird wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:00 pmJay...the papermill in JAY??!!!....might have been spontaneous combustion from thousands of old buffalo coats. Dang!!! Yours didn't light up did it????!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

May have been. That buffalo coat dust is very explosive. Thats why I keep a ground wire on mine when I hang it in the closet.

Hey Jack,
Sent you the video on FB messenger. Best 0art is listening to the hicks in the truck and on the CB.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Uh oh sounds like the toilet paper taliban has struck again! :D
Been some strange fires around here lately, latest was a barrel/can on fire inside a barn. It was smack dab in the middle of the barn- fishy ya think?

I still don't understand what is the meaning of prissy 85 grainers? Is it a CA mandate or what?

Started making railings yesterday, 2x8 cedar, we are cutting a 3" 'u shape' out of these. Copy the longest radii, cut it out, plane to smooth, resaw to 1&1/4, glue 2 together, repeat. Trying to match the existing rails on the other porch. These are between 8&11 feet long. 5 runs to make, the u radius will change slightly.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well gunny...yous be doin a fine job.....keep at it.......

Ya gots an arsonist? Time to bring out the rope.

Well...looks like another boring day....
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, you what you have. I will interpolate or extrapolate the results. Plenty of reference available with some real world results to compare. Haven't really decided what level I will want. I have worked with a lot of shotgun powders in different handguns.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have almost 1,000 rds through my 7-08. Hodgdon's 26 matches the results very close. I look for something like that in loading.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hi Fred....thanks for the reminder! I knew there was something I was supposed to be disciplined at today.....get started on real soon......having my coffee...

YOU screwed up...you were supposed to give me a wake up call. :D :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

But I've been asleep since you said that 😋

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok Fred Bird......

Did some testing today.....I was perplexed a bit at the results. Yes, the gun is tight and the chronograph is working fine. I was so perplexed I tested out another gun with a known velocity and the the machine read out the same numbers.

The 85 grain was designed for the 32 mag with a smaller case capacity and don't believe that bullet builds up enough pressure unless your using heavy loads such as say...6 grain of Unique.

I used the Smith and Wesson that was built in 1906 for all loads....the gun is tight with a .005 flash gap.

I took Remington 100 gr bullets that they use in factory ammo and made a jig to grind off the nose to bring it to 85 grains. I did the same with the Speer bullets that start out at 100 grains.

The Remington bullets mike out at .3105 while the Speer bullets are right at .312.

All loads were erratic except the 100 gr Speer and even that had a high velocity spread despite using a fast burning powder.

All loads were an average of 3 shots....not very scientific but it's close.

My conclusions...you need at least a 100 grain bullet. My tried and true loads of 4.5 of Unique or 3 grains of bullseye with a 115 lead bullet are uniform and if your going to use an 85 grain bullet your going to need mid range to high velocity loads. I DO NOT like 2400 with a light bullet....does not build up enough pressure for uniformity.

My jig for making 85 grain bullets from 100 gr.....little cheesy but it worked.

Here's the scale showing 85 grains from a 100 grain Remington bullet

Loaded 32-20 with homemade 85 grainers

Speer 100 gr

Results

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interesting Six, appreciate the effort. Looks like the loads might be lighter than I anticipated. Reason I am using the 85s is I bought 1,000 of them 30 years ago.

Curiosity, have you chronoed any factory in your Smith? You certainly went the extra mike in designing and documenting the testing.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

More crimp help ? I'm just spitballing as I've never worked up light loads for the small cases...

Well we made a PILE of cedar dust/chips today! Between the electric hand plane, thickness planer, jigsaws, router we were swimming in chips! Got all the hand rails glued up today, tomorrow routing and sanding - if the rain holds off !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, here is some reference data I was looking at making up the loads.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I had a similar problem with 125gr. Plated bullets in .38 with 4.5gr. of Unique. Velocity was very erratic and if shot in a .357, squibs were common. First thing I tried was more crimp but it didn't help. I think it was caused by rapid pressure drop from the bullet starting too easily but having more resistance in the bore. Cast pushes easier through the bore than plated, and I think wouldn't do this.
I just went to 158gr to solve the problem.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yes....solid crimp with a Lee FCD.......

Fred.....that chart you posted was most likely computer generated.......not real on hand shooting.......

Soooooo many variables affect what happens especially temperatures....it's cold today. I used mild Remington pistol primers. When your testing loads that are "on the fence teetering" sometimes only a half grain more powder or 20 degrees higher in temperature will bring the loads into focus and uniformity.....

My guess is one more grain of 231 ...with the temps and primers I was using would bring the loads into the 850 range with small extreme spreads. The only load of the four that was somewhat uniform was the 100 grain .312 Speer and 4 gr. of 231.

231 burns a tad slower than Bullseye and with less "explosiveness". If I think about it and I feel like it I'll do the same test with Bullseye and I'd bet it would work 100 % better.

Here's my limited load sheet from the 32-20 Smith...there's even an original blackpowder UMC load in there.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ken Waters has an article in Pet Loads with a revolver like yours. You and he are pretty close on in what you have done..

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK Fred.l.i have that book and it's time for a rereading.......when you leave a book in the rack for awhile, it's almost like a new book again.

Colder than hell here...winds a blowing.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok I've had it- start my morning by looking at emails, one of which is an online antivirus company, try to sign in to cancel the subscription, of course I don't remember the password. Request a new one, 12 characters , must include uppercase, lowercase, numbers and a special character. FINALLY get it right and the system doesn't know who I am! Ok now my bp is raising! I finally hit reply to the email and tell them I want to cancel the subscription because I'm not found! Also told them I will refute the bill if it shows on my CC bill. Nothing, NOTHING is easy anymore...

Jay bird I applaud you for your record keeping! I just write a good load in the load manual.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yep...everytime you turn around someone is trying to get a piece of your sweat....it's mostly because "they" no longer have anything to sell.......they try to make you "think" you need it.

You want an example? My buddy Tom has lots of loot.... so much it makes you sick...three houses....probably 200 military 1911's....you get it..........he recently buys this top of the line GMC pick up and starts showing me all it has which 90% of it don't make sense........like the stupid 3 way tailgate....who the hell needs or wants to pay for a $3,000 tailgate that opens up so you can walk up into the bed? It's all about show....but unlike a nice Colt, your not got going to get your money back when you sell it.

I'm aggravated already.....think I'll go back to bed.... :D --6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, a little philosophical decompression then. If it exists it hardly matters who owns it if it is not you. Cash in the bank or in a mattress hardly matters after you have a certain amount. But a walk up tailgate gives you another option and since the $3,000 is relatively meaningless to him as it sounds like money will never be his problem.

So the rest of the world is just a show in some respects, let it flow by without disturbing your internal chemistry. ;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now, 32-20 reloads, that is another matter. About the first year and a half after getting my Dillon I reloaded about 13,000 rds but I did not get a chronograph until I started on rifles, I'll check my records. So on pistol reloads I just went by accuracy/grouping and generally just trusted what the manuals said. Now rifle, I chronographed nearly everything.

I never saw that it made much of a difference in s general sense with pistols as I was only shooting 25 yds or so, 50 very occasionally. But rifle out here I determined 300 yds was about where it made sense as trajectory mattered. I sighted everything in 2 1/2" - 3" inches high at 100 yds then figured where it was about 3" low. That was for hunting reference.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:55 am Well Six, a little philosophical decompression then. If it exists it hardly matters who owns it if it is not you. Cash in the bank or in a mattress hardly matters after you have a certain amount. But a walk up tailgate gives you another option and since the $3,000 is relatively meaningless to him as it sounds like money will never be his problem.

So the rest of the world is just a show in some respects let it flow by without disturbing your internal chemistry. ;-)
This is extremely good advice.

Gunny,
Me too! I write load info on post-it notes and tuck em in the appropriate pages in loading manuals. It's weird, cause I'm a very organized person (the whole machinist thing), but I don't keep much for records on my guns. I should, as sometimes it's years between using some of them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I dont bother with post it notes, index cards- I just write on the page itself.. cant loose em as easy!

I tell ya what, other than 2 jeeps ive always had a pickup, couple always had a cap on. I use my trucks as rolling tool boxes . I've learned that if I tie a rope around a tool then shove it to the front I dont have to climb into the bed- that's good as I have my truck set up as a bilevel with a cap. Gives me more storage and covers up the expensive tools from prying eyes!

Well more cedar chips today! The rails are all finished, spindles are ripped & taken to thickness, sanded and most are primed.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:55 amWell Six, a little philosophical decompression then. If it exists it hardly matters who owns it if it is not you. Cash in the bank or in a mattress hardly matters after you have a certain amount. But a walk up tailgate gives you another option and since the $3,000 is relatively meaningless to him as it sounds like money will never be his problem.
So the rest of the world is just a show in some respects, let it flow by without disturbing your internal chemistry. ;-)
Yep, and sometimes it pays to remember that those showin' off, are just broke at a higher level! Maybe more broke. Let it be water off a duck's back!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:50 pm...ive always had a pickup, couple always had a cap on. I use my trucks as rolling tool boxes . I've learned that if I tie a rope around a tool then shove it to the front I dont have to climb into the bed- that's good as I have my truck set up as a bilevel with a cap. Gives me more storage and covers up the expensive tools from prying eyes!
Yep. Me too. Always have had a p/u, usually a 4x4, sometimes, but not often not. I can live without a "car", but as my Dad taught me, a man has to have a pickup! And securing things in the bed is always necessary, a lesson I learned back in 1974 when my anvil went sliding thru the p/u box front wall of my new 1974 Chevy 4WD Cheyenne! And... did you know that dead coal fire in a open forge will light itself back up at 65mph on the freeway!??? Hey, I thought it was dead, dumped enough water on to drown a rat!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!