When aircraft had style plus just cool aircraft

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - When aircraft had style

Post by J Miller »

During the Royal Wedding the first part of the flyover was a Lancaster flanked by a Spitfire and a Hurricane.
Spitfire, Lancaster, Hurricane fly by at wedding..jpg
These aircraft came from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight;
http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/
That was style in a class by itself.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J Miller on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

SWMBO taped it, maybe I'll actually watch that part...:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

First airliner I flew in was a Canadair CC-106 Yukon flown by Flying Tiger Lines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tiger_Line). This was back in 1964, flew from Tokyo through Anchorage, AK. to refuel then I think to Dallas. First family trip to visit our American Grandmother for first time who lived in New Hampshire so finally arriving in Boston after a night in Dallas, Tx. One exciting part of the flight was when I was wandering the plane looking for the restroom I happen to look into pilot's cabin, and saw the pilots from behind with their headphones on, and I thought they were monkey ears so I ran back to my dad and announced loudly that I saw monkeys were flying the plane! Gave some of the passengers a real scare. I didn't mind that monkeys were flying the plane, they were doing a pretty good job but some of the other passengers got worried, and had to verify with the stewardess (no flight attendants back then) that the monkeys were in fact qualified pilots. :lol:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Anyone here fly in one of these? Boeing 377 Stratocruiser which was a modified B-29 for civilian airliner use. Before I was born my dad flew mom and older siblings to Honolulu, Hawai'i from Tokyo (to get her citizenship) in 1957.

They flew back in a Lockheed Super Constellation (What a beauty!)

Right on the brink of the jet age. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ji,
Love that Super Connie, wish they still flew them.

OK, I think I have the solution to all our problems.

The world is moving too fast, the first thing to do to slow it down is to ban all jet powered aircraft.
Civilians get pistons and the military get turbo props. That will slow that down. And it will add more class to our trips.
Will also save money. Just think, how many 747s or the 767s are really full of passengers when they fly? Not many. Too expensive, need to go back to more economical airplanes.

All in favor ... vote yes
All opposed ... vote no

I vote yes, OK who's with me?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Trouble is that the recips are much more expensive, per passenger carried, to operate and maintain than jets.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

claybob86 wrote:Trouble is that the recips are much more expensive, per passenger carried, to operate and maintain than jets.
Buuut, but, but ..... well you didn't have to tell everybody. Now you went and spoilt it. :cry:

Joe
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I just can't help but like the Brazilian made Embraer EMB 314 Super Tucano, their resemblance to the P-51 doesn't hurt either. Designed for light attack, and counter insurgency, with tricycle landing gear, and turbo prop, able to land on unimproved fields this plane is just plain (or plane) cool. :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ji,

That little airplane looks like the rat terrier of attack planes. All attitude and teeth.

Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

[quote="J Just think, how many 747s or the 767s are really full of passengers when they fly? Not many. Too expensive, need to go back to more economical airplanes.[/quote]

Sadly no, that's not true. The airlines have made certain that flights are FULL because they just can't make any money any other way, and even then they struggle (the major airlines in the U.S. lost a combined billion dollars last quarter due to skyrocketing fuel costs).

But yes, I certainly pine for a lost age of civility if that's what you're getting at:

However, note the lack of a radome on the nose of that Stratoliner. No weather radar!! Yeesh...just plow ahead and hope you don't smash into a cumulonimbus. Boggles my mind...

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

olyinaz wrote:I can't believe no one has posted an image of the most beautiful fighter ever to take wing:

Or the most beautiful civil aircraft ever to grace a hanger:

Cheers,
Oly
+10 on that.....
I hear there are a couple at the bottom of a pond, covered in muck, here in daytona...
This area has many small airports that trained pilots during WWII...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

IIRC, the Corsair was such an excellent design, it continued in production into the mid '50s. 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

claybob86 wrote:IIRC, the Corsair was such an excellent design, it continued in production into the mid '50s. 8)
Yep! My uncle trained on Bearcats, flew them for a spell, also flew the Navy's first jets, and then found himself back in brand new Corsairs for the Korean War. By that time they had 20mm canons and racks of rockets installed - made great troop support aircraft.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Well this thread has drifted a bit, it's turned into the "cool plane" thread. :lol: No worries, I'm just as guilty as everyone else... :lol: With that in mind, I give you this:

May 6, 2011 - Republic XP-47J
Republic made several attempts to further improve the P-47D. The XP-47J began as a November 1942 request to Republic for a high-performance version of the Thunderbolt using a lighter airframe and an uprated engine with water injection and fan cooling. When fitted with a GE CH-5 turbosupercharger, the XP-47J achieved a top speed of 505 mph in level flight in August 1944, making it one of the fastest piston engine fighters ever built.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I like cowled radials, especially the Focke Wulf, but Rare Bear took the cake in my view:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

There is style, and then there is STYLE. The Fokker Dr.1.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rock-steady wrote:There is style, and then there is STYLE. The Fokker Dr.1.
Probably my favorite WWI a/c. :mrgreen:

I brought over a couple of pics from the waterbomber thread:

Lockheed P2V Neptune from C.Cash:

Another P2V from olyinaz confirming my lousy memory (I thought C.Cash's pic was a NA AJ Savage :lol: ):

Another P2V I ran across:

I love those Navy birds from just after WWII through the late 50s. There's just something about them...

And finally, today's pic at Plane-A-Day:
May 10, 2011 - Avro Lincoln
Photo: 1948: Clark Air Base, Phillipines
Developed from the Avro Lancaster. The Lincoln had a higher operational ceiling and longer range than the Lancaster. First flight June 1944.
Photo originally incorrectly listed as Avro Lancaster. Thanks very much for the correction, Don, Bill, and Boom!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I can't believe it took 9 pages for THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AIRCRAFT EVER DESIGNED, BUILT, and FLOWN to be posted?!?!?

(sigh)....What's this forum coming to? :)

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

stew71 wrote:I can't believe it took 9 pages for THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AIRCRAFT EVER DESIGNED, BUILT, and FLOWN to be posted?!?!?

Becauses we had two threads on them prior to this one... :lol:

May 13, 2011 - Martin B-26C Marauder
After entering service with the U.S. Army, the aircraft got a reputation as the "Widowmaker" due to the early models' high rate of accidents during takeoff and landings. The Marauder had to be flown by exact airspeeds, particularly on final approach and when one engine was out. The 150 mph speed on short final was intimidating to pilots who were used to much slower speeds, and whenever they slowed down below what the manual stated, the aircraft would stall-out and crash. The B-26 became a safer aircraft once crews were re-trained and after aerodynamics modifications (increase of wing span and incidence, to give better take off performance, and a larger fin and rudder).

http://www.planeaday.com/
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Marauder was a great looking, well designed aircraft that demanded to be flown well but that was hard for cadets and those schooled on older designs to transition to. Jets later provided the same "problems" for both the military and the airlines (look at how many 727s were crashed early on).

"The B-26 is said, by the 9th Air Force, to have had the lowest combat loss rate of any U.S. aircraft used during the war. Nevertheless, it remained a challenging aircraft to fly and continued to be unpopular with some pilots throughout its military career. In 1944 in answer to a lot of pilots complaining to the press and their relatives back home, the USAAF and Martin took the unusual step during a war, and commissioned large articles to be placed in various popular publications "educating" and defending the so called flying/accident record of the B-26 against "slanders". One of the largest of these articles was in the May 1944 issue of Popular Mechanics."

"By the end of World War II, it had flown more than 110,000 sorties and had dropped 150,000 tons (136,078 tonnes) of bombs, and had been used in combat by British, Free French and South African forces in addition to U.S. units. In 1945, when B-26 production was halted, 5,266 had been built."

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

To prove the point that there were lots of BS myths about the B-26, Gen. Jimmy Doolittle called out a crowd of pilots to watch him land a B-26 on ONE.. repeat.. ONE engine...That got the word out about the plane and morale changed about it...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:To prove the point that there were lots of BS myths about the B-26, Gen. Jimmy Doolittle called out a crowd of pilots to watch him land a B-26 on ONE.. repeat.. ONE engine...That got the word out about the plane and morale changed about it...
Didn't Eddie Rickenbacker do the same with the P38?

Another bit of Marauder trivia: Due to the thin wing, it was also called the Baltimore Whore since it had no visible means of support. It was a long time before I got the joke behind the name... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

awp101 wrote:
stew71 wrote:I can't believe it took 9 pages for THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AIRCRAFT EVER DESIGNED, BUILT, and FLOWN to be posted?!?!?

]
Becauses we had two threads on them prior to this one... :lol:

May 13, 2011 - Martin B-26C Marauder
After entering service with the U.S. Army, the aircraft got a reputation as the "Widowmaker" due to the early models' high rate of accidents during takeoff and landings. The Marauder had to be flown by exact airspeeds, particularly on final approach and when one engine was out. The 150 mph speed on short final was intimidating to pilots who were used to much slower speeds, and whenever they slowed down below what the manual stated, the aircraft would stall-out and crash. The B-26 became a safer aircraft once crews were re-trained and after aerodynamics modifications (increase of wing span and incidence, to give better take off performance, and a larger fin and rudder).

Looks like the nose gunner is tokin on a number. :lol: I could see that job having some intense moments in between the lulls.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Gobblerforge wrote:Looks like the nose gunner is tokin on a number. :lol: I could see that job having some intense moments in between the lulls.
Gobbler
:lol:

BTW, that pic makes a great background on my work computer. :mrgreen:

"Last of the Gunfighters":
May 17, 2011 - Vought F8U-1 Crusader
Photo: 1958 from aircraft carrier USS Saratoga

-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I don't think anyone has posted a Thud yet. Probably my favorite US jet from the Viet Nam era:
August 24, 2010 - Republic F-105D Thunderchief •
First flight 1955.

http://www.planeaday.com/archives/2010_Aug.htm#82410
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I've flown with a few guys who did exchange tours in the English Electric Lightning. They all liked it quite a lot:

Best looking Britt airliner ever:

Vickers VC-10.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

In the interest of keeping this thread aloft, here's one you can own today:

http://uncrate.com/stuff/antilles-seapl ... per-goose/

it's a house
it's a home
it's a ride
it's a blast

it eats petro dollars and spits out miles

Grizz
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Looks like a HU 16 with turbo props
when your enemy is within range so are you
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bis wrote:Looks like a HU 16 with turbo props
I believe the manufacturer designation was G21. This seems to be a new build to the Grumman design and as you said, with turboprops.

Lots of rides in the regular Goose back in the day. Loved that airplane ride.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Let's see...

From WWII, my favorite, The Messerschmitt BF109 :

From the Korea War, the F-86 Sabre:

From the Vietnam War, the F4J Phantom:

And, from the current era, though just retired, the F14 Tomcat:

Now, these planes had STYLE in spades!!! :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Today's pic:
May 25, 2011 - Martin XB-51
The aircraft was fitted with a rotating bomb bay, a Martin trademark

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared ... 4K-031.jpg

And a bonus I ran across while looking for something else:
November 16, 2009 - North American B-25 Mitchell
Making a bomb run on a Japanese destroyer escort off Formosa in April 1945

Follow the link and there's 2 videos (that I haven't watched yet): http://www.planeaday.com/archives/2009_Nov.htm

And the B25 pic is the current background on the work comp. They don't even ask what I'm doing around here anymore... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

rotating bomb bay
sort of a precursor to the Ruger magazine, eh?

:lol: Grizz
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Grizz wrote:
rotating bomb bay
sort of a precursor to the Ruger magazine, eh?

:lol: Grizz
Or the ALCM launcher in the B1... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Had no idea the Chinese made flying boats:

Sadly, the F-14 has been gone for almost five years now! The Super Hornet is not a bad airplane by any stretch however:

Cheers,
Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Performance wasn't that great but to my eye she sure was purty...I always liked the lines of the Air Cobra.. Pretty neat name too...Clever design... Couldn't resist a twofer...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:Had no idea the Chinese made flying boats:

<snip>

Sadly, the F-14 has been gone for almost five years now! The Super Hornet is not a bad airplane by any stretch however:

Cheers,
Oly
Why is there a fire ball at the root of the left rudder of the top Hornet?
That don't look to good.

Joe
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Joe, he's popping flares. They're handy against heat seekers and chaff works against radar guidance.

Here's a Swiss Hornet popping either a flare or chaff:

AC130:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

RIHMFIRE wrote:
olyinaz wrote:I can't believe no one has posted an image of the most beautiful fighter ever to take wing:

Or the most beautiful civil aircraft ever to grace a hanger:

Cheers,
Oly
+10 on that.....
I hear there are a couple at the bottom of a pond, covered in muck, here in daytona...
This area has many small airports that trained pilots during WWII...

My favorite to for a prop plane, the gull wing to get the nose high enough so the prop don`t hit the ground. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Re: OT - When aircraft had style plus just cool aircraft

Post by Halfbreed »

One of my favorite Vietnam war era planes the OV-1 Mohawk. :wink:

For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

How about the Erco Ercoupe?
February 15, 2011 - ERCO Ercoupe
Designed and built in the United States. It was first manufactured by the Engineering and Research Corporation (ERCO) shortly before World War II; several other manufacturers continued its production after the war. The final unit was completed in 1968. It was designed to be the safest fixed-wing aircraft that aerospace engineering could provide at the time. First flight 1937.

I love the looks but to me that glass canopy just screams stifling heat if flown in a Texas summer. At least a Cessna 150, etc provides some shade with the high mounted wing. :lol:

My understanding is the rudders were connected somehow with the ailerons. In theory (IIRC) you couldn't get it into a spin coming out of a stall due to this.

You want floats? You got floats:

-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Got a hop in one in Phx once. One of the BAL pilots had one and flew over our house so I could wave to Mom.

good times

Grizz
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

A great aeroplane heavily modified by the Aussies. CA27 Sabre
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Some really great pics in this thread--I've filched a bunch of 'em to use as wallpaper on my PC. Anybody got some really nice shots of a Navy F7F or an RAF Mosquito?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Beautiful pics--thanks!
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Can't belive nobody has posted pics of this:

By far my fav. plane of WWII....
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The F-35 tickles my fancy quite a lot!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

May 31, 2011 - Douglas DC-4E
Same plane as seen in this photo: November 26, 2009
CREDIT

Here's the pic referenced:
http://www.planeaday.com/archives/2009_Nov.htm#112609
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

44magHunter wrote:Can't belive nobody has posted pics of this: (P-51 pics)

By far my fav. plane of WWII....
---
Mine too.
Or this - twice the charm :)

Made first kill over Korea IIRC. My father, mostly a bomber pilot, flew the 82 a few times. Loved it.
Added:
Some ten years before we got there, here is an F-82 at our base in southern Japan, Itazuke. I believe this is "the" plane that scored that first air-to-air win over Korea. During Korea, ours was an F-82, F-80, P-51, and I believe F-94 and F-86 base. One of the main "Korea" F-86 bases was up the road at Ashiya. The 82 or Twin Mustang was an "all weather" fighter. When we were there, Itazuke was a Cold War base flying F-100s then F-105s, with F-102 interceptors that occasionally escorted Russian MiGs from our airspace. Upon our leaving, with the onset of Vietnam the base was essentially retired, with all our primary aircraft going to bases in Thailand.
Last edited by gak on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Halfbreed wrote:One of my favorite Vietnam war era planes the OV-1 Mohawk. :wink:

the glide path of a stone :lol: neat bird unless you have to work on one :wink:
I got to work on one that did a reverse thrust check but they forgot to latch down the engine cowlings. :shock: what a mess a chunk of it went thru the plexiglass and took off the pilots nose and all those little pieces of metal took out most of the wiring on the right side of the aircraft.a real PITA to work on.

pete
DAV life member.