For Bill, net making

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

For Bill, net making

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok Bill here you for you.

I watched a couple videos about steam bending wood for fish nets. Figured it was easy enough and made a steam box. I needed a heat source to make the steam so I cobbled together a spout extension for a teapot heated on the woodstove. It worked- poorly but enough steam allowed me to bend wood! I finally bought a wallpaper steamer, made a better box and all was well.

A form was needed next. I borrowed a net frame and proceeded to make the form.

Rule of thumb for steam bending is 1" per hour or 1" thick needs 1 hour of steam.
C903DFD6-7617-4D60-9A3D-685775907FF4.JPG
B927742B-48D5-4330-B969-20D7D04D3FB7.JPG
03F41937-FD42-44E0-B1D3-937A838BE9A0.JPG
20190523_113640.jpg
I make the hoop section from black walnut, usually 3 layers( thinner = less time in the box)
The handle core is usually oak( my net is quarter sawn white oak)
I've done nets with purple heart strip between the walnut, maple strips. I did one with American Chestnut milled by a friend's brother who since lost his brother and the net!

Glue up! The form gets a coat of wax, heavy coat!! After steaming put the strips in the form overnight to set. Next day rewax the form, apply gorilla glue and set into form with the handle end clamped in. Allow to dry 24 hrs. IF done right it will pop out of the form thanks to the wax. Fire up your favorite thickness planer to remove excess glue and flatten. Then round over all edge with a router & round over bit.
Finish, I like spar urethane as it's durable.
The basket, I use spring clamps to hold it so I can drill holes and stitch to the frame. This took some trial and error , I finally settled on braid type fishing line, smaller holes through the frame.
Go fishing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: For Bill, net making

Post by Twodot »

I'm not Bill, but that looks like nice work!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, outstanding workmanship and thanks for the tutorial! I sure miss fly fishing for trout, even though I much prefer crappie and yellow perch for the table. Kokanee are in a class all their own!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Nice ,reminds me of bow making.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You can still flyfish for panfish Bill! I only fished once for Kokanee, didn't catch any.

I started a 'guide net' form but never got back to it, larger hoop and longer handle. I suppose it could also serve as a boat net.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, I have had a ball catching panfish on flies.
For a while, I followed the path of tenkara, Japanese fly fishing. It is an interesting variation and the way they make nets is charmingly traditional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9OZsv4C3Sc
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm, interesting!
I'll have to start looking at tree limbs.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!