30-30 Shootn

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 Shootn

Post by Drawdown »

Well I've been anxious to try a few new bullets in my Winchester's, especially the Nosler 170g Partitions which I bought over a year ago, luckily getting them for 1/2 the recent prices of today, and thanks to BillinOregon, the Barnes Original 190g FN, both in my Mod 64. And the Hornady IL 170g FN in my Mod 94 Carbine. Fine day to shoot, only about 42-43dgrs, but beautiful day be in mountains, and I'm pleased with all them!
20231129_121404.jpg
20231129_125355.jpg
20231129_132641.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 30-30 Shootn

Post by Drawdown »

Hopefully when clicked upon the pics will be upright. Only target of day that surprises me is the Mod 94 & Nosler 170gr, I expected better! Last I shot the Mod 94 Fed Fusion factory 150gr which I've had for several years. Surprise? The least load of LVR with the Hornady 170g gave most velocity but the heavier load gave best accuracy!
20231129_170008.jpg
20231129_170409.jpg
20231129_141227.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Nice looking Winchesters.
It was a real nice day here today. Lower 60s, sunny and no wind. I should have went to the range and let my other projects slide! :D

JBowen
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

It looks like one load for each bullet done pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

JBowen
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good shooting. I'd have liked to be at the range today, but I've been waiting all day for a couple of parts to fix my truck so I'll be ready to head off to work... gotta catch up on bills... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Impressive velocity on the 190s
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I'm pleased with those one loads and their velocities. The velocities are parallel with the reloading data on the Barnes site for a 24" barrel. My first load, 32.7 = 2,101fps and the 33.2gr = 2,129fps. Barnes data list 33.8gr as the max load giving aprox 2,165fps, so if I added another 1/2gr lvr I'd probably be right there also on velocity.
But I'm pleased with both those loads, I'm sticking with those recipes!
Gonna experiment with the Hornady 170s in the Mod 94 this summer. Probably try another powder with that bullet, even tho the 2nd loads accuracy was suitable, knowing my loss of concentration with a receiver sight when shooting groups. But I get the impression from reviews that the Hornady 170 is very comparable to a Rem CL, so the right dose of 3031 or 748 would make this bullet & rifle really shine! And from my brief experience few years ago using 4064, it's one most accurate powders I've used in both 30-30 & 30-06! It's my #1 powder in 30-06, but what little I tried it in 30-30 it was outstanding, just lacking on velocity.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I love posts like this; even if I don’t get to do the range-time I’d like, I can do it ‘vicariously’… :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great report, Drawdown. I should probably load five of the 190s over some LVR, too, to test the Barnes data in my 24-inch barreled Model 36.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Doc, I love to hunt, especially squirrels with a 22lr all my life, Deer, off and on most my life, but anymore, I'm 99% interested in deer. In 2016 when I retired, all I'd really hunted for the previous 10 years, was squirrels with a 22, but that was because after working 55-80 hours a week, I'd be so short time and be so tired, all I wanted was a relaxing morning in squirrel woods with my 22. I'd shot 22s all my life, and 75% squirrels I ever killed was with a iron sighted 22. 5,000 rds a year shooting, practicing was a slow year.
Then when I quit, my old Marlin was already calling, and I began shooting it spring thru fall, Tom Horn style, rocks, tree limbs, etc, anything out in woods to simulate a hunting shot. Favorite was a dark spot on tree, and eventually I wanted something to keep, take home remember, a visible target. Water filled milk jug set just for one good shot, standing or sitting. Didn't take long to figure out, reloading is what I need to do, and putting em on paper told true results. I'd already been thinking about it, saving my brass. Well it's sure not saved me any money, but it's been more than worth it!
I enjoy the prep & practicing more than the hunting! Fun it's got to be, then I put my all into it! In 2017 I was after a particular Buck mostly, but I'd shot anything that year. But I had a 8pt shed from previous year, trail cam pics from a month prior. All I'd been shooting was Winchester PPs & Rem CL 150gr in that rifle, but they hit where I was looking. Well Lord made my work pan out into a easy hunt. That big 8pt with a 6pt and 3 does showed up on my spot on opening morning and I watched them for over 30 minutes. Finally at aprox 40yds he was in the open broadside and a Rem CL smashed both front shoulders literally, his nose hit the ground. But his hind legs looked like a Mississippi River Boat churning and in 2 seconds he'd plowed only direction he could go, down hill, and directly at me, finally stopping about 7-8 yds from my feet. Blowed out a last couple breaths of pure blood expired right there!
From that point on, I said got to kill my next with my own reloads! And I haven't killed a really good Mountain Buck since, but that's my goal, because they're a quarry all their own! But I got to leave these 6pts alone, which I've taken 2 since.
I failed to recover the largest Buck I've ever shot in 2020, first animal I ever shot with my reloads. That bothered me so much. It was with a 150gr Sierra PH the shot a full 75 yds, and I hit him, but never even found blood! Bullet or me? Probably me cause that load was deadly accurate in my Mod 64, but IDK what happened? I killed a 6pt in 2019 with that rifle with a Win PP 170 that performed just like the CL, smashed both front shoulders, his nose hit the ground upon the shot, but he literally died I think almost instantly! But I was hunting a truly big 11pt then, but a buddy shot him about 2 hours prior my 6pt about 300yds below me.
But that's why so much money, time, but mostly enjoyment in trying to prevent another 2020 outcome! And I'm getting in bad health, can't breath but about 25% of what I used too, and on cold & wet weather I'm about in the house!
But I ain't done yet, and I enjoy the journey regardless the outcome, and a 6pt or less is just fine, I love eating em just as much!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Bill, I've had great success with LVR, but I've seen others similar success with cfe223, so which ever is most accurate is the way to go, velocity difference will be LITTLE IMO! But yes, if possible try the LVR!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Another ref point: I tried in Barnes 190 with LVR in a 20" 303 Savage 1899H. 31.0 grains got 1830fps with 1.5" group at 50 yards with open sights and older eyes.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Super field report 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

30-30 & 30-06 shootn today, first time since December. I had 4 loads to try in my 30-06 using a Speer 165gr HC using 4064 & 4350 powder. And I had near a max load of LVR=33.6gr with the Barnes Original 190gr FN, 33.8g being the max on the Barnes chart.
I shot 4 rds of these 190's only at 30yds, and got 2,182fps and excellent accuracy. I'm impressed and gotta think these to be an excellent hunting load, and no doubt would carry for long range well! Hey, I've found Rem 170CL to be at about same velocity aprox! I also tried some reduced loads in it using 130gr Speer HC & PPU 110gr using H4895 and the 60% of a max load rule. Had good results and accuracy although POI not the best. I'm gonna up them a little try again.
I tried 5 loads in my 30-06 and did best with the H4350 & 165g Speer, at 2,789fps, and sub 1" group at 90yds. That'll become my new primary load in it, where I was using 150gr Speer & 4064. I've found these powders 2 most likely in an 06, 4064 for 150gr or less bullet, and 4350 for 165gr or heavier.
My first shots today was with Rem CL Factory 180gr PSP in my 06, scope removed and used iron sights. Lotta glare on my front sight, I need to blacken that sight again, no definite front edges, but my target turned out decent. I sure do like the Warne Maxima mounts and qd rings for a hunting rifle!
20240417_113041.jpg
20240417_094426.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20240417_173106.jpg
20240417_094416.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Nice loads and shooting on both. I went yesterday and tried out some new loads for my 375 Winchester BB94. They were not very accurate and/or I can't see the factory sights very good anymore. This one is top eject and I am thinking about getting a Skinner sight or one of Turnbull's Red Dot setups.
On the other hand my Ruger M77 MKII 25-06 (with a scope) loads were very good with 100 TTSX Barnes and H4831.

JBowen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JBowen wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:16 pm They were not very accurate and/or I can't see the factory sights very good anymore. This one is top eject and I am thinking about getting a Skinner sight or one of Turnbull's Red Dot setups.
I really like the Williams FP on leverguns. You do need to drill & tap most Winchesters though. The ‘Firesight’ fronts are nice in the woods if you get the green or yellow (the orange is almost too bright, but you can replace the fibers easily). I tend to prefer the 1/16” brass beads like some Marlins come with though. I sight in the FP with aperture in but remove the aperture for normal use. No accuracy loss for non-bench shooting in my hands, but much faster.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Doc's right, the Williams is about the best compromise of all types of sighting on a Levergun, or any rifle really, and for sure plenty accurate really out to 200yds+ if practiced on one's rifle! Those BB 94 is a rifle I wish I'd gotten back in their day, really a special rifle the public let slip outta production, because they didn't know how special they could be for hunting rifles! No market-no make, Shame!
But the Skinner get it done the same!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I haven’t ruled out the Williams sight. This rifle was drilled and tapped from the factory for it. I have a 30-30 M94 with a Redfield receiver sight and it definitely makes a difference.

JBowen
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Wanted to add, last fall I killed my deer with the 30-30 shooting the Hornady 160ftx. Day I killed it, I was bragging on how it dropped the deer in its tracks, and it did, a neck shot, didn't really break the neck, but I know the nerve & trauma was deadly. But after I cut the deer up 4 days later, I wasn't really impressed with what I found, rather found no bullet! It entered about dead center neck, shot angling slightly down hill, and easy to see bullet path, and stopped apparently against the right front leg shoulder. It done damage to shoulder, but I never found even a piece of the bullet! I'm thinking in field dressing, I reached way up into neck to cut wind pipe and all, pulled it all out. Must have pulled all fragments of any size?? Out while dressing it?
But comparing, about 10 years ago, I shot a deer same angle, just behind left front shoulder and bullet went full length, broke right hind leg, and found the mushroom right against the hide, really at that ham. I got the bullet, and guessing it retained IDK, 65-75% of its weight? But significant none the less, and traveled a longer distance! That MV then I'd think was about 2200fps Win PP Factory and only a 10yd shot, a 170gr bullet.
The MV of the 160ftx was aorox 2420fps and exactly a 50yd shot.
Appears to me, for most part the bullet fragmented greatly, ???
I'd use it again, but not with better choices available! That's why I'm going with either the Nosler Partitions 170gr or the Barnes 190gr FN. Probably the Nosler, but I have no doubt on the reputation of Barnes Originals, and at near 2200fps MV, I see most likely a long bullet with big mushroom, plenty retained weight to penetrate as far as the 30-30 is capable! But the ftx is still a fine load in case of long shots, IMO!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
abar20manfan
Levergunner

Post by abar20manfan »

I had my Marlin 336 BL, 30-30 out yesterday. Just got a new scope for it, Leupold 2.5X Ultralight. I decided to try some Nosler 170gr partitions, but they were the Federal factory loads. Only shot it at 50 yards (my earmuffs broke in half when I was moving to a 100 yard bench). It shot great at 50 yards, the exactly same place as Rem 170gr Corelokts.
image1.jpeg
2” Orange dot
image0.jpeg
336BL, Leupold 2.5X
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

That rifle, load, and scope, be the ultimate heavy cover-brush rifle! And good shootn!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This great thread continues! Abar, that is a very satisfying group.
I no longer have the Marlin 36, but do have a very early (1902) Savage 99 saddle ring carbine in .303. I loaded 29.5 of LVR under the Barnes 190 in PPU brass, which would seem a mild load going by some of the comments here. I slugged the bore and am having a heck of a time reading the result, as it seems closer to .303/.311 than .300/.308 and from what I have read, it is not clear at all whether Savage ever made a .303 with the .303/.311 dimensions. My eyesight "sure ain't what she used to be." :(
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Bill I've long wanted a Mod 99 in 303 or 300Savage! I've yet to see one in my county ever! Was in a dandy Gunshop about 3 counties away, in 2016, reason I remember I bought an old Mossberg 22 target rifle. They had a beautiful 99, but in 308. I know 308 a great cartridge, slightly above 300 Savage, but I already had couple 30-06, so I don't need a 308! But if one ever comes to hand in one those cartridges, I'll sure consider buying it!
I've read about the uncertainty of the true bore diameters of the 303's. Have no doubt that 190 Barnes will be a killer, if accurate in your rifle!
I'm gonna invest in me a good dial caliper, instead my digital. They're too tegious about zero!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Got out early, anxious to do what I consider my final concluding test of the Barnes Original 190gr FN in my Mod 64 with LVR Powder, and the results are to me great and conclusive enough! But I'm gonna give my results best I can from 2 years of lots of tests, especially with the Hornady 160ftx, enough tests with the Nosler Partition 170gr RNSP, and tests since Dec with the Barnes 190gr which Bill brought my attention to, and now I'm sure glad he did!
I considered this bullet 3-4 years ago, looking at many stories over the years of the 303 Savage-190gr SP's, and hey, I've heard nothing but praise from especially the old hunters up north, Canada, B.C., even Alaska, and these stories and results interest me much more than anything modern! Why? Cause those guys lives & sustenance often depended upon it! And based upon Lotta reading about the Barnes Original in these same places in other cartridges, especially the 348 Mod 71.
But my main purpose is what is the best of these 3 bullets and load for my rifle?
Recent research of the 303 Savage & 190gr shows that IMR 4320 and LVR powders are the clear best powders, and LVR was slightly? better, and no doubt that would vary in rifles, but in mine, LVR Shines, and I've already got it!
But again starting on this, I sure doubted I could get as good of accuracy with either the Nosler or Barnes as comparedto the Hornady, which is excellent, and kinda figured I'd be lucky to get 2100fps?? Well, wrong on both subjects!
Here's my targets from this morning @ 60yds, what for me is a good consistent range with any iron sight, and I've done better, but I've done worse! I tried the 33.6grs again and tried 33.8grs for first time, which is the Maximum recommended with LVR on the Barnes website. Notice one thing, the POI of the 33.8 load is slightly higher, but that's my doing. I shot the 33.6g loads first, and I sighted with the front bead still showing kinda like 1/8 moon of the black above it. The second load, I shot full bead covering the black circle, (shoot thru center bead) which is how I'm gonna aim naturally when hunting! And I'm done concluded, when I hunt with this rifle, this is my primary load, so I'll adjust POI a little right & lower, I want my center of group to be slightly less than 2" to give me a 140-150yd zero.
20240513_114231.jpg
20240513_095059.jpg
20240513_090643.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I put all the numbers and my results into Shooters Calculator. com, and I recorded their estimates onto this target for comparison, @200yds, for anyone who might be interested in any these bullets?
Going in, I was already planning to change from the 160ftx, to what I figured would be the better, the 170gr Nosler? But now, based upon the Barnes Original long good reputation? With good accuracy and this velocity, I can't help but feel like the Barnes is by far the best load in my rifle! And contrary to most people's thinking, which most don't reload, the 30wcf is a lot more capable than most think! And I've not got any proof of Shooters Calc for the 30-30? But few years ago, I put the same work into a 30-06, my bullets BC, velocity, all the info into the computer, and compared the results? The estimated bullet drop @ 250yds was pretty much exactly as estimated! And I've heard others say that the Ballistic estimates are very very close!
And this shows how well the 190gr carries at longer ranges, substantial as compared to the Nosler! Appears to me at least Ballistics Wise it's 200yds capable, if a shooter can hit the vitals!
And IMO, if for instance, a hunter was going out west or any open terrain where 200yds + is possible? I'd be loaded with the Barnes, but carrying some the 160ftx in the event a longer than 200 yd shot came up, I'd slip one into chamber because I have no doubt that load is 250yds + capable! And my results from the deer I got last fall with it, that bullet is well suited to expand right at longer range velocities, best I can tell.
20240513_123733.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

In conclusion, the longtime opinion of a box of factory ammo, 170gr, is true, out IDK, at least 150yds, will get the job done well, I believe this! In fact I've got couple boxes here, Win PP 170gr factory, that I got number years ago, tested in my 64, and they shot at I believe near 2300fps! Velocity shocked me, and they're as accurate as anything else I've tried, at 60yds anyways! Most Remington 170gr by memory is at least 100fps slower on the average, and in 2 my rifles, usuallynot as accurate! But that CL bullet is hard to beat, but so is the PP. So why fool with all this? I love it, and any plus, can make a big difference on a marginal shot, and my way thinking, especially a 190gr FN, I gotta believe just has more SHOCK from the start of entry, than say the same weight Spitzer! And where I hunt, one shot opportunity a year is great! Nothing to average one shot opportunity every 3 years or more!
Just look at that. Someone on here said it once, IDK, I believe Grizz? "You gotta love a rifle, that when you work the action the guts fall out of it"! Makes easy cleaning too

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

ANY day with a 30/30 is better than anything else! :mrgreen: HOWEVER, these days I seem to be going with anything else! :shock: :roll: