Phil Shoemaker interview about bears

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Phil Shoemaker interview about bears

Post by Grizz »

He explains why I am loading 255 Gr HC 45 Super in my 1911 for woods carry. Best straight talk no BS video online . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANI6U-SL4o
4_255 compr 240 ACP.jpeg
After thinking about it, I might drop the velocity on that 255 to ball velocities to see how it performs. As it is, that 255 Gr 45 Super penetrates 64 inches of gel, but the follow up shot isn't quite as quick, but I LIKE that flat nose 45 !

Enjoy !
grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Phil Shoemaker interview about bears

Post by JimT »

He's a nice guy. He was at The Shootists Holiday and was bunking in the same housing unit as I was. Interesting guy .. sure knows his stuff and has some great stories.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Picture1-10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ray wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:28 pmPicture1-10.jpg
NICE. . . As the man said, it's the bullet construction and the placement and penetration, but he is way more relaxed around them than I am . . . I might have to get some of Sundle's 357 loads for the wheel gun now . . .
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I sure enjoyed visiting with him at the Holiday last year. He shared a photograph with me of his Sharps Carbine next to a serious bear track.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

He posts regularly over at AccurateReloading.com as 458Win and you can take his advice to the bank. I like his tagline:

"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship"

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/ev ... 9081047672
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 am He posts regularly over at AccurateReloading.com as 458Win and you can take his advice to the bank. I like his tagline:

"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship"

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/ev ... 9081047672
Thanks for the link Bill. I will never be able to afford that trip, although I would love it. I Especially like his aircraft. I had a friend with a Stinson bush plane, a blast to fly!

A dusk trip around our inlet when fish were running would net between 40 and 60 bear sightings in the guard timber. In all those years I only saw two that I actually wanted to kill on purpose. From the water they resemble a new trapper cabin standing at the high tide line. One of those was the color of a red setter, exactly, and was so tall standing in tall beach grass that I glassed him for a step stool.

grizz
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, you have seen wonderful things!