Ruger/Marlin 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Ruger/Marlin 1894

Post by High Desert Hunter »

So after another 100 rounds through the 44, another forearm screw sheared in almost the exact same spot as the previous one.
Forearm Screws2.jpg
Thinking Ruger should have stuck with the forearm cap and tenon screws setup. I love the look of the barrel bands, really love how accurate this rifle is, and the fact that since they sent out replacement front and rear sights it hits to point of aim, albeit with the elevator in the uppermost notch on the rear sight, but I'll take it. Not sure if this is being caused by a very slight fore and aft movement of the forearm allowing a battering action to take place?

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ruger/Marlin 1894

Post by TraderVic »

Ruger customer service is historically pretty good. I would certainly talk back with them on the issue(s). Guessing you're not the only customer shearing screws. Best wishes..
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup, CALL Ruger, don't email and they should make it right. Tell them exactly what you see, feel as far as movement. Might be something they aren't aware of.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don’t know if Ruger makes their own fasteners but either way I don’t think it’s a design flaw. Just not that much stress to cause failures so fast.

I’d love to see what a metallurgist would have to say after testing the failed parts.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd bet they outsourced the screws, lowest bid.

High Desert Hunter please post a picture of the broken end where it sheared off. I'd like to see the actual break.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin 44 Barrel.jpg
Sheared Screws.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I thought as much! Those screws are too hard!
Zoom in and look at the crystalline surface, looks almost like a flat gray indicative of too hard. I bet a file would skate right across the surface.
If ya cant file it its too hard.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Gunny has it. Especially evident on the left screw. Look at the distinctly different color and structure of the one on the left as opposed to the solid color of the one on the right. You should send that photo to Ruger.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:37 pm Gunny has it. Especially evident on the left screw. Look at the distinctly different color and structure of the one on the left as opposed to the solid color of the one on the right. You should send that photo to Ruger.
If it were me I would call Ruger, send photos ( a good close up) and even send the screws Attention To whomever you speak with. Being as big as Ruger is it could get lost in the shuffle.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:37 pm Gunny has it. Especially evident on the left screw. Look at the distinctly different color and structure of the one on the left as opposed to the solid color of the one on the right. You should send that photo to Ruger.
if so, then they weren't tempered after hardening, they should not be much over spring temper. Also, were they overtightened? I can't imagine enough stress on that fastener to break it, even if it is too hard. Grade 8s stand tension without breaking, but why would that be necessary or proper on a barrel band?
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

I will call them tomorrow, used the online contact this morning, will definitely follow up. I was shocked at the damage I found on the barrel.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Regardless, the new wood/blued Marlins are handsome rifles.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Grade 8s only achieve their strength rating when torqued to a specific value, however they are more brittle than grade 5s and tend to break where movement is allowed.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Walt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 am Grade 8s only achieve their strength rating when torqued to a specific value, however they are more brittle than grade 5s and tend to break where movement is allowed.
that's true, but it is true of all threaded fasteners, all of which can be broken if the threads get stripped or over-stretched in a way that allows movement. my question is why should there be so much tension on that fastener that it meddles with the metals? I hand tighten those kind of fasteners "just so" that it's just right. I recently disassembled a set of rear brakes where the cylinder cap screw was so over-tightened that the aluminum threads came out of the hole attached to the cap screw. I installed the new cylinder with a short 1/4 inch driver "just so" and no more. even a girl will be able to detach it. LOL
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I wonder the same thing as Grizz----where is the stress coming from. Why is there so much stress between the magazine tube and the barrel? Maybe I'm missing something.

Does it look like the magazine tube is moving under recoil? Can you see any evidence the magazine tube is moving---wear marks on the tube near the front band?

Maybe the screw on the forearm is too close tolerance wise to the relief cut?
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

I can't see where the mag tube is moving, no evidence of same. The rifle is going back to Marlin, hopefully they can figure this out, and hopefully without changing the barrel. This rifle is a shooter!

Dave
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It could be they stress fractured due to being too hard by barrel harmonics/ pressure as a bullet goes by. Those screws , for what they are doing could almost be dead soft.
Heck they could have got a bad batch of screws from the manufacturer!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:17 pm It could be they stress fractured due to being too hard by barrel harmonics/ pressure as a bullet goes by. Those screws , for what they are doing could almost be dead soft.
Heck they could have got a bad batch of screws from the manufacturer!?
Good point. Airplanes have crashed and burned because of phony chicom engine parts, why not our guns too?
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

My 1955 336 SC came here from Georgia, where it obviously enjoyed a full and interesting life. It had some forend wiggle, a fault I can't abide. 50+ years of recoil had visibly bent--but did not break--the rear band screw. Jack First had good quality replacements at the time.

You won't see brittle, broken rear band screws on JM Marlins or Winchesters. You will see them on Rossis, which are over-tightened at the factory and so brittle they split at the screw slot.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Rifle should be back with Marlin by Wednesday. See if the turnaround time is as good as Ruger.

Dave