Got the cabin in PA cleaned up for the season

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Got the cabin in PA cleaned up for the season

Post by 2ndovc »

The place was in pretty good shape considering last winter's weather.
There was about two inches of pine needles on the rear slope of the roof. I don't think it's been done since last spring. I missed the last trip up do to an extended hospital stay. Again.
Wild weather, rain, wind, snow and more rain. We spent a couple hours burning up some .22s on Friday. It was raining, but still pretty warm.
No.1 stepson brought a couple of guns his dad has recently given him. The guy had a stroke about 6 mos. ago and isn't recovering well.
Most of the stuff he gave Quentin is various styles of AR kit guns. Two of the more interesting guns though were a 9 shot H&R revolver that is almost new in the box condition and an H&K GSG knockoff. I know next to nothing about the GSGs, but this one seemed to be pretty well put together and functioned flawlessly through 400 rounds or so. Quentin really liked shooting it and took to it much more quickly that I would have guessed. He makes do with his disability as best he can. It's always interesting to me, what makes sense to him and what just doesn't click sometimes. Anyway, big smiles the whole afternoon and all weekend. I'm pretty sure he didn't want to come home either. :D
I put a bunch of rounds through my old Yugo single shot training rifle.

Probably the biggest excitement for the rest of the weekend was a small tree that came down across the road. I figured it would be Monday morning before any of the oil company trucks that work the hills to the east of us and clear the road. I got out my cordless sawsall and tow strap and made it at least passable again. The tree doesn't look like much, but that sucker was heavy.

Can't wait to get back up there!

jb 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got the cabin in PA cleaned up for the season

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes. It was a wild weather weekend here too but no snow.
Glad the cabin made it through the winter, always kind of in the back of you mind what you might be in for come spring!
Glad the Q-man is still shooting and giving you a hand.
I've taken to keeping a chainsaw in my truck after the Ash trees have been dying off in droves.
Glad too that you are back on the mend!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Gunny!
I'm feeling a heck of a lot better than I was, even before I ended up in the hospital last fall. I knew something was wrong, but it took a while to get it all figured out. Mostly goes back to the respiratory infection I had in '15 that almost did me in.

Quint has really changed over the last few years. He still has days or situations that he has a tough time figuring out, but they seem to be getting farther apart. Some of the things he comes up with are downright brilliant.
He's really starting to enjoy shooting something other than his Savage MKII. I think that started after I bought him the little Wrangler last year. I also gave him my mom's Mossberg .410 that he really loves. I think mostly because it was my moms, he was over her house helping out every chance he got.

I usually take the chainsaw for the first trip up. but I need to work it over and haven't had a chance. Needs a new spark plug and a new chain wouldn't hurt.

jb 8)

Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Looks like a good time.
I have the same H&R revolver I believe it's the model 922
if yours is like mine you have to remove the cylinder to push all the empty cartridges out with the cylinder pin.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:56 am Thanks Gunny!
I'm feeling a heck of a lot better than I was, even before I ended up in the hospital last fall. I knew something was wrong, but it took a while to get it all figured out. Mostly goes back to the respiratory infection I had in '15 that almost did me in.

Quint has really changed over the last few years. He still has days or situations that he has a tough time figuring out, but they seem to be getting farther apart. Some of the things he comes up with are downright brilliant.
He's really starting to enjoy shooting something other than his Savage MKII. I think that started after I bought him the little Wrangler last year. I also gave him my mom's Mossberg .410 that he really loves. I think mostly because it was my moms, he was over her house helping out every chance he got.

I usually take the chainsaw for the first trip up. but I need to work it over and haven't had a chance. Needs a new spark plug and a new chain wouldn't hurt.

jb 8)
Kudos! it's a great spot for unwinding, thanks for the fotos.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That's a Great Way to spend a weekend!. :mrgreen: .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used to keep four Stihl chainsaws at the house just for cleanup etc type stuff . Now I’m down to three , the one with the 24” bar was a bit much although it came in handy when I had a tree uprooted right at my driveway entrance that happened to be over 48” wide at the base . Anyway I have an old ammo can that I take with me when operating chain saws . The can contains extra plugs and four or five sharpened chains for each saw . I don’t mess with a file in the woods I just change chains and keep going then sharpen later .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks guys! I told my boss I needed to spend a few days in the woods before I went Mike Tyson and bit someone!

The chainsaw workover is just one of those things I just didn't feel up to last summer/ fall.
I have a couple of trees in the back yard that need to be cut for firewood. I'll be able to get a lot of that stuff done this spring/ summer. :D

By the way, the H&R is a model 929. It does have the regular DA style ejection. I like the way grip fits my hand, but not sure how well it shoots, group wise. I did manage to hit the water bottles I was shooting at.

jb 8)

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

H&R’s can be very accurate. The 999 sprang from a target revolver. Take a look at the sights and the trigger guard. My 4” 999 shoots very well with most stuff but phenomenally ( not from my hands anymore ) with target grade ammo.

I bought it because as a lefty it was one of the few friendly revolvers out there.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, thanks for taking us along. Cabins, dogs, guns, chainsaws -- and I can smell the damp conifers. That looks like it could even be in Oregon.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 pm H&R’s can be very accurate. The 999 sprang from a target revolver. Take a look at the sights and the trigger guard. My 4” 999 shoots very well with most stuff but phenomenally ( not from my hands anymore ) with target grade ammo.

I bought it because as a lefty it was one of the few friendly revolvers out there.
Those 999 are bringing top dollar nowadays I've seen the 4" go for crazy money I had a 4" years ago wish I still had it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The photo of cleaning the roof brought back memories. My family had a cabin in Big Bear from 1951 until 1993.

Now my dad didn’t like heights. So as soon as I was big enough anything above ground level became my job. That meant that cleaning the roof, replacing shakes, and making sure the chimney screen was both intact and not obstructed.
Last edited by jeepnik on Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My dad and I put that roof on about 28 years ago. The modified, torch down roofing on the rear slope and flat(ish) roof are holding up really well. The shingles on the front slope are being held together by the moss on them these days. Long past their replacement date. We've been looking for someone to put a metal roof on, but when we find a guy, he's a no show or wants too much for a pretty simple job.

No different than around here though. I was supposed to meet a roofer at an insured's home today. I did my thing and after a half an hour, he still hadn't shown. The home owner was none too happy. Told him to let me know if he need the contact info for some reliable guys.
Same thing happened yesterday. The contractor says his guy is on the way. An hour later, a midget shows up driving a 3500 diesel all loaded out, but no ladder. Why are you even here? I'd already been on the roof and was packing up my stuff. Homeowner was just shaking his head. He called me this afternoon asking about roofers. :D

jb 8)

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:06 pm My dad and I put that roof on about 28 years ago. The modified, torch down roofing on the rear slope and flat(ish) roof are holding up really well. The shingles on the front slope are being held together by the moss on them these days. Long past their replacement date. We've been looking for someone to put a metal roof on, but when we find a guy, he's a no show or wants too much for a pretty simple job.

No different than around here though. I was supposed to meet a roofer at an insured's home today. I did my thing and after a half an hour, he still hadn't shown. The home owner was none too happy. Told him to let me know if he need the contact info for some reliable guys.
Same thing happened yesterday. The contractor says his guy is on the way. An hour later, a midget shows up driving a 3500 diesel all loaded out, but no ladder. Why are you even here? I'd already been on the roof and was packing up my stuff. Homeowner was just shaking his head. He called me this afternoon asking about roofers. :D

jb 8)
I had a new roof put on a couple of weeks ago (I'm no longer "allowed" on ladders after the last fall). I went through 13 companies. Two happened to be in the neighborhood, and one did his estimate off of google images. The remainder never even bothered to call back. I went with one of the companies that was at my neighbors. They are fairly new. Young owners, well compared to me, and hungry.

The company that did the roof did a fantastic job, including a few things not included in the original bid and not billed for.

Now I'm looking for someone to paint the new wood, and install gutters. Same issues. I'm over twenty calls and only two have bothered to call back. And those two were direct referrals from neighbors. Both are small companies. Again, I've been able to see the quality of their work before making any decision.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jason, I have a GSG, the knock-off of the H&K MP5 in .22LR, and it is a ton of fun. I can see why Quentin took to it. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good times; thanks for sharing.

Lots of forum members may not get out to the woods much or have a ‘place’ to go to. Or like you last year, may not be up to much adventure.

These kinds of posts can cheer a housebound guy up I’m sure.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Doc, that's a nice thought.

I'll be the first to admit I had a great start in this world, boats, cabins, guns etc. My parents worked their backsides off so we could have and do the great things we did. I do my best to live up to their work ethic. I think I'm doing pretty good job of it.

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You certainly are Jason!
I used to go to Quebec fishing every year. We were 65 miles of dirt roads to get to where we stayed. Sometimes fixing roads or bridges to get in, sometimes fixing the clubs cabins or a boat or 2. When battery tools came out that made our trips so much easier out in skeeter country! Each trip was an adventure.

It's a real shame contractors can't or won't return calls. If they are busy at least call back and explain that to the person who called that was going to give you MONEY for services... It's pitiful.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!