3-D Printer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

3-D Printer

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/ikjOEaPY6Rk?si=iSM9QLhxoRK_wsrs

Cheap basic one looks interesting.

I can imagine the top of line ones would be great for parts fabrication.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 3-D Printer

Post by Bronco »

I remember reading an article where a 1911 was made with a 3D printer in stainless steel. I do not recall if the barrel was made that way but almost all of the rest of the pistol was!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

A teacher at my kids school has a higher end printer and makes some insanely cool stuff as rewards. My daughter has a loch ness monster thing that is fully articulated and irredescent. Its pretty cool
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

My son is big into them, besides pre modeled stuff he can model and design his own parts. mostly in different plastics but metal sintered plastics are now available... At his work they print parts for pre assembly fitting, saves a ton of machining work..it's all greek to me but pretty cool stuff coming on!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Several of the paper cartridge formers I've acquired were made using 3D printers. Makes me wonder if it might be a good investment! :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It makes me wonder if you could use a 3D printer to build a paraffin or similar material 'form' so that you can make an investment casting using metal as a second step.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim Kibler, who has revolutionized the flintlock kit trade with his high-precision designs and inletting, sometimes uses 3D printing to test stock design and parts fit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vO-qf ... zQ&index=2
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:44 pm .
It makes me wonder if you could use a 3D printer to build a paraffin or similar material 'form' so that you can make an investment casting using metal as a second step.
Yes, it's called lost PLA casting. A material called PolyCast is specifically formulated for the job and burns out cleanly. Much like lost wax casting.

Further, there are powdered metal filaments and you can print and send off to be sintered into a part. Unless you have an oven at home that can do the job.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Here's a die plate I printed for my RCBS Ammomaster Auto. It prints the threads in the die holes ... though I typically have to chase them with a tap to clean them up. This was done on a Bambu Labs printer.
3DPrintedDiePlate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

AJ Had a knee replaced last July.Wondered why I need a cat scan of hip and knee and ankle. After doing research I read that it is now all almost computer controled and next step is a 3D printed joint.