Mod 92 218 Bee RANGE REPORT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Mod 92 218 Bee RANGE REPORT

Post by GunnyMack »

Finally got the Lee factory crimp die today.
Got home, watched for the end of the world- er I mean eclipse then crimped the 43 rounds I had loaded and headed for the range.
So as mentioned elsewhere, this rifle is a strange thing, model 65 barrel, left side drilled & tapped( poorly!) For a side mount.
I found the mount & ring set, slapped a Vortex 2-7 on it with the tube turned so turrets were at 9 and 12 o'clock for brass clearance.
Target at 50yds, 4 different reloads , 46gr fngc , 5 each of H110,4227,1680 and the remainder were 3.5 of 700x. These were to get me on paper and after I got on paper I tested the 3 different powders and some factory JHPs.
Of course I forgot my good sand bags at home!
This gun shoots well, im sure more load development will wring out its best.
20240408_171313.jpg
Otherwise, it fed from the magazine, but boy the scope ring is hard on the cases!
20240314_161953.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Mod 92 218 Bee RANGE REPORT

Post by Pat C »

Looks like a shooter
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! 8)
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Looks like your off to a very good start. That will be a good varmint gun. Thanks for sharing.

JBowen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've used extra-high rings to help that issue (case damage) in a 32-20.

Higher rings don't bother me as I use a 'chin-weld' vs a 'cheek-weld', but one could use a leather buttstock cheek-pad if needed.

From a practical shooting and hunting standpoint the 'point-blank range' is deeper/longer with a scope higher above bore axis, since it changes the intersection points of the bullet arc by angling the line of sight slightly more.

Of course some would say it is terrible to deface a levergun with a scope, but at my age if I'm going to hit the target I do have to SEE it, so there will likely be a scope if the intended target is smaller than a softball at 50 yards. With some guns that isn't likely, but with the potential accuracy of a 218 Bee I think the scope would be needed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This was put together as a scope gun, with the stock being such as it is your eye is way too high to see iron sites. Not to mention I would need to source a new stock, front and rear sites too.
Now that I know it has real potential I'll make the owner an offer!
Then I'll write to Cody and try to figure out how it left the factory,25-20 or 32-20. Curious where this rifle was originally shipped too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That would make a Killer woodchuck gun around here. Nice to it shoots well, always liked the .218 Bee. I had a Martini Cadet rifle that was a super shooter, but did a dumb thing and traded it off for something that I can't remember.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's my thoughts as well Jason but sadly I don't see many groundhogs or places to go hunt them anymore.
Be a good coyote/fox gun too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Looks like a good shooter. I've always liked the 218.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator