1886 TD mag hanger help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

1886 TD mag hanger help

Post by Walker »

Picked up this old 86 years ago and had it in the safe. It's getting refinished and it looks like the hanger dovetail was wallowed out enough that it hasn't enough metal left to ping. Any ideas? I don't want to restore it, just get it back into hunting shape. I haven't come across a replacement barrel in the last year either.
L1010688.jpg
L1010682.jpg
I've thought that it may make a good short rifle but don't want to cut the barrel unless there's no other solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1886 TD mag hanger help

Post by GunnyMack »

You could try shim stock, sold in various thicknesses. A drop of blue loctite between the dovetail and shim stock should hold well enough.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Sounds like someone tried to drive it straight out. They are radial dovetails. You pull tube part way out and use tube as a turning aid. To rotate out.

Round barrels are worst for wear to dovetail ,once damaged going oversize and or tig welding is about all you can do.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Talking with the gunsmith today, the dovetail edges were filed square. We talked it over and decided to silver solder the hanger onto the barrel. The bore is too good to discard the barrel.

Thanks guys!