Interesting question for black powder shooters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Interesting question for black powder shooters

Post by Pat C »

When firing black powder cartridge revolvers ,does the cylinder still get the burn rings around chamber mouths?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting question for black powder shooters

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's an interesting question. I have never noticed it once the normal BP fouling is cleaned away, but then I only shoot blued revolvers. No interest in stainless versions, they being so "farb" and all ...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sometimes the entire gun is a burn ring! :lol:
31.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pat C wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:42 amWhen firing black powder cartridge revolvers ,does the cylinder still get the burn rings around chamber mouths?
By "burn ring", do you mean the circle of different coloring that coincides with the diameter of the back end of the barrel? Which I would debate as not so much a result of firing as much as it is a result of impact from the cylinder with the back of the barrel. I theorize that the greater fouling of BP provides a larger cushion between the cylinder face and back of the barrel on my revolvers, thus eliminating or greatly minimizing that ring. Since my cartridge revolvers have been shot with both BP & smokeless, there is a ring. Whereas on my C&B revolvers, which have only been shot with BP, any ring present is very faint, ill-defined or simply not present.
DSCN1572[1].JPG
45 Colt cylinder on left, .36 Navy on right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The burn ring of discoloration you see on all cartridge revolvers .Which is a result of carbon . I've never noticed it on any cap n ball revolvers after cleaning. Never fired black powder cartridges though and was wondering if it gave same effect as smokeless.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:13 am Sometimes the entire gun is a burn ring! :lol:

31.JPG
That's my experience for sure! :lol:
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Answered my own question ,NO black powder cartridge does not leave burn rings around chambers. At least not Pyrodex.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I shoot stainless vaqueros (2 cylinders) for cowboy action in 44-40 (black) and 44 magnum (smokeless). I can get them completely clean on the cylinder face with a bit of Flitz and a soft cloth. The black powder cleans off easy with hot soap and water usually.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Loaded up five more cartridges this morning same as last time.Pyrodex RS filled to within 1/8" or so of top .Just using hand tools ,case mouth expander I made and ball starter. Pushed the pulled 146 grain lead bullets down gently to the exposed band. Used my hand crimper.

Again no burn rings on cylinder mouths. So that is a product of smokeless powder.

Stepped back to 20 yards offhand aiming at red dot at bottom center. Accuracy was not great this time but the perp would have been dispatched . Aim for the belt buckle hit him in chest :wink:

Two bullets hit knots in target and expanded decent. Found a third at rubber back stop.I can hardly see sights on this thing.
Buts it's a hoot.

I'll get me a powder scale and may try some gallery loads soon.