Go ahead and laugh

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Go ahead and laugh

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It was just a few weeks back that Jim started a thread on Federal's relatively new .30 Super Carry, which is being marketed as almost as potent as the 9mm, but with less recoil and more magazine capacity in the same platform. I had scratched my head when this was first announced a couple of years ago as it seemed kinda silly, typically gaining just two or three more rounds in the typical magazine while giving up punch. Most of us had a pretty good laugh about it and I had mostly forgotten about it when I ran into this thread over at castboolits. What's that? The Smith EZ feeds a full-meplat flat-point 117 and gives 1150? That's .32-20 rifle performance out of a smallish semiauto. Now this to me as a full-fledged gun crank is interesting.
Then a Grabagun ad popped up in my email yesterday noting they have the Smith .30 Super Carry Shield Plus and EZ on a really good sale -- $299. Bait taken, hook firmly set! :lol: Y'all are welcome to laugh and laugh ... :lol:
(I post as Abert Rim on CB.)

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... st-Boolits
JimT
Shootist

Re: Go ahead and laugh

Post by JimT »

I won't laugh but I will say my .32-20 rifle loads gave right at 2000 fps with 125 gr. Spitzer and 1800 fps with 140 gr. LBT cast bullet. The 100 gr. Speer JHP ran over 2100 fps.

Now 1100+ fps from the little handgun is pretty durn hot and nothing to be sneezed at as long as it is reliable and accurate. With my prejudices I would not carry one for self-defense but that's me. :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, I was looking at the load data for .32-20 rifle in the Lyman 51st. Should have figured that it was greatly conservative as they are loading only to 16,000.
This will be a fun experiment, I think. I have never owned any of the Smith EZ semiautos, but the EZ-rack system was a huge blessing for many of our female and senior shooters when I worked at the range in La Luz. So I get to play with this design as well as the new cartridge which is designed to run at 50,000 and requires small rifle primers. To use the cliche it is like the old .30 Pedersen/7.65 French Longue on illegal bodybuilding substances. 8)
By the way, I traded the little LCP Max toward a Smith CSX. With its 1911-esque fire controls, it makes me feel like I am home and I am shooting it better than any other 9 I have owned.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Looking at his article on the .32-20 for revolvers in Pet Loads, Ken Waters shows 6 grains of SR4756 giving 1154 with a 115-grain cast bullet from a Smith Model 1905 with 6-inch barrel. 8)
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

BE sure and stock up on brass/ammo. I saw some ammo yesterday for it, on the clearance rack.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

No one laughing here....I have a 7.65x21mm s&w ez.

The ez will feed and fire .32 acp and frenchy longues but will not self-cycle them.

I briefly owned a 7.65x21mm s&w shield + 17 shooter. It would not feed or fire the shorter cartridges like the ez did/does. I was showing the shield + to my son and it went home with him and has not been seen by me since.....

As for brass, I have not found any but starline has recently filled a backorder of the frenchy longues. These won't last long.....

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/81065
m.A.g.a. !
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Well that's worth a test drive at $299. My last powder order was more than that ... and it really wasn't all that much powder.

That thread on Castboolits was interesting. That bullet looks like a soup can. Interesting that it feeds well in his Shield.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rimfire, this is the Accurate mold I am thinking about. Still plenty of meplat, but ought to feed even better than the square-edged soupcan.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_de ... et=31-115H

Ray, I enjoyed the French Model 1935 A that I had years ago, but in those days the 7.65 Longue ammo from Buffalo Arms, based on lathe-altered .32 S&W Long brass IIRC, was not particularly affordable.
Academy has both Federal and Speer FMJ in stock for $25 a box. I shall avail meinzelf shortly.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Wilhelm, two different sks bullets.....one flat-nosed..... loaded in .32 acp cases to .30 s.c. o.a.l.
IMG_20230107_095306968~2.jpg
IMG_20230105_072329178~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, that's a very interesting approach.
I put three magazines through the EZ this morning and found it extremely pleasant to shoot -- definitely less recoil than a 9 and a nice snap when the bullet struck the target. Lost five cases of the 30 rounds fired. I hope someone provides brass before long.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bill, accuracy and enough power and penetration are nothing to laugh at. Glad you like it!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Brian. I hope to put more rounds through it soon, and have ordered a mold from Accurate.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bill, do you know if that big fat nose of that Accurate mold will feed reliability? If it will, that should put the smack on your target.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, Accurate 31-115H is on the way. I expect it to feed if Tom's 31 -117E feeds. I don't recall having owned any other auto pistol where the bullet at the top of the magazine is in such nearly perfect alignment with the bore. And yes, I do expect "efficient energy transfer." 8)

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_de ... et=31-115H

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_de ... et=31-117E
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well fellas, the Accurate .31-115H mold arrived and I believe it casts a very handsome and seemingly practical boolit. That's the Speer 115-grain FMJ load on the right for comparison. All my brass is loaded so I will have to shoot some up to be able to load more than just a sample with the 115H -- and chronograph it.

LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Well, I laughed, and rolled my eyes, when the 30 SC first came out... but it sure is starting to look good now. Thanks for sharing. And howdy, I'm Bazoo over on cb.gl forum.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

No doubt it will beat the hell out of a .380 or even a .38 special with the average commercial loaded bullet.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Horsesoldier, a 115-grain bullet at 1200-1250 out of the Super Carry is clearly 9mm territory.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

While it may compare to larger calibers on paper, until it is actually used to shoot living breathing mammals with it we will never really know how it works. I remember someone saying, "No simple physics formula could ever predict how a rifle or handgun will perform. It's best to defer to experience here." Before I ever carried it for self defense I would go out and shoot living breathing things .. goats and pigs and maybe a deer or two. Then you get some idea of how it will actually perform.

Years ago an ammo company came out with what they said was THE ULTIMATE self defense load. And since I was writing for a magazine they sent me a bunch of the ammo to try out. I shot it at targets and over the chronograph and then I went out and shot living breathing mammals with it. In 4" .357 Magnum the projectiles were running close to 1700 fps. But shooting 40 to 60 pound critter with it showed that it was not gonna work. Sure, they would die eventually, but it just sliced them and you couldn't even see the entrance and exit wounds.

I called the company and asked them if they had shot any living things with it and they said they had not. I warned them they were gonna get someone killed ... sent the rest of the ammo back along with my report. They were kind and never replied to me and took me off their mailing list. But they never brought out that "self-defense" round.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

No laughing here.

I think it’s interesting.

Who would have thought 30-40 years ago that the 9 mm would ever be this popular? Who would have guessed that lightweight carry guns like the SIG 365 would be so useful and compact, but still shootable?
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The .30 SuperCarry is nothing to scoff at, nor is a .22lr as I don't want to be shot with either one!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am The .30 SuperCarry is nothing to scoff at, nor is a .22lr as I don't want to be shot with either one!
I AM WITH YOU!