CZ Bobwhite Project Upland 12 Ga SxS, "Ugly Duckling"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

CZ Bobwhite Project Upland 12 Ga SxS, "Ugly Duckling"

Post by Old No7 »

An "Ugly Duckling" story...

I've admired CZ's Bobwhite Project Upland side-by-side shotgun's looks before, both in 12 and 20 gauges, with the upgraded wood, false sideplates and brilliant case-colors on the action metal. It's very similar to their Sharptail -- but costs more -- yet I much prefer the double-triggers and straight English grip, which the Sharptail doesn't offer. But honestly, I could never justify the hefty premium of the Project Upland versus a standard Bobwhite SxS.

Having been without a CZ/Huglu SxS for far too long, I bought one that I'd seen online which was listed as a "demo", but in "outstanding condition, with no marks on the metal". It did have very dark photos in the listing, but those looked OK (and luckily for me, I'd snagged copies of all those before the shipment was done). Anyway, much to my surprise, inside the CZ plastic case instead of a really pretty Bobwhite Upland -- we found there was an "Ugly Duckling"! The barrels and wood were OK, but ALL the metal action parts were covered with rust -- it was pretty fugly, and the clerk was aghast and embarrassed (and I was p*ssed).

No names will be used (so don't ask), but let's just say the local big box store sided with me, and offered me a very deep discount to "take it as is" due to the other big box store's actions by misrepresenting the metal condition in the description and by cleverly cropping some of their original images. (A lesson learned for me...)

You're likely getting curious, so I'll include just one image below of the top of the action showing the before (top, taken when the box was opened) and after (bottom, taken tonight) condition following about 3-hours of restoration work done on it. The back of the lever and safety had been cropped out of the original photos... All the metal parts other than the barrels had to be carefully cleaned of all the rust.

No, she's not the "real good looker" that I was hoping to get, as she doesn't have any of the bright cased colors that you'd see on a new Sharptail; but now I have an unfired -- but previously heavily handled, not wiped down and improperly stored -- Bobwhite Project Upland in 12 gauge for lots less than the price of a new ugly green Bobwhite. I guess I can't complain too badly about that, and after all, It should be decent shooter for me -- that now I won't be afraid to take out in the woods and scratch!

Old No7

CZ Bbwt Proj Uplnd (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Re: CZ Bobwhite Project Upland 12 Ga SxS, "Ugly Duckling"

Post by Turdyturdy »

Up in the Nord Wood we charge extra for rust bluing!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sorry you had to suffer that disappointment Darryl, but I hope the restored and properly oiled CZ gives you some nice memories in the field. I've been daydreaming about the Bobwhites myself.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's what my 410 is as well. The factory never de-burred the trigger plate, when I got it it had 11 and 11¹/² pound trigger pulls! I scattered it into peices and found the burrs, that was as good as any place to start. After a little file and stone work they lost half the poundage ! I figured a 5 & 5¹/² pulls were good for a field gun and with use they would get better but I need to run a few thousand more rounds to really break it in.

I dont really like the GREEN gun CZ has but it sure would be nice on rainy snowy days.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!