Winchester 65 218 Bee

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 65 218 Bee

Post by GunnyMack »

I have had this gun in my hands, it's rough, freckled bluing on receiver and barrel. At some point it was drilled & tapped for a side
mount. Bore is quite dusty but looks decent but without stuffing a patch down it I can't really tell.
Who ever had this gun had a high comb cheek piece stock made , rear site is gone.

I haven't asked the owner if he would sell it to me yet, thoughts on an offer?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 65 218 Bee

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'collectible/investor value' would be one thing, and subject to model and version and scarcity and condition, but the 'would it be a nice and fun gun/shooter' issue is just a matter of if it is in safe condition and at least reasonably decent bore. So for THAT purpose I'd try to see if I could run a patch down it and get a good light to see the bore. If it was ok and the action seemed decent, then I'd probably get it if it were at a price-point I could afford. I am fortunate enough to have a Marlin 1894-CL or whatever they were called (1980's production) that is not perhaps a 'vintage collectible' but is a fun shooter. The cartridge should be pretty accurate with proper load development, too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

In todays insane world.. IF.. I wanted it I'd offer $499.00 . just because it's a Winchester. As we know the risk is on the buyer. sending You a P.M.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Good luck finding a .218 bee for less than $1000 in any condition. An original winchester in good condition is going to be closer to $2000. You can't buy a used 30-30 for $500 any more. Any of the niche calibers command a significant mark up.
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

Ammo hard to find and very expensive if you do find it. If you want to shoot it much plan on reloading.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

FLINT wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:46 pm Good luck finding a .218 bee for less than $1000 in any condition. An original winchester in good condition is going to be closer to $2000. You can't buy a used 30-30 for $500 any more. Any of the niche calibers command a significant mark up.
Yes. I've been looking and these are going for close to four grand in 90%+!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Turdyturdy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:45 am Ammo hard to find and very expensive if you do find it. If you want to shoot it much plan on reloading.
Just so happens I have about 600 pieces of brass and a #1 in Bee.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

There’s one I know of but the bores rooted. Sleeve/reline job?
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

This gun came with a bolt mounted peep sight. Is it still there? A major point of value, it alone is worth $500. Can the buttstock be restored? The 'freckling' you mention is probably just normal 'flaking', common on the 1920s-30s Winchesters. Was the d&t for the scope mounting done professionally? Or in somebodys garage shop. So many variables on potential value.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This gun was converted for scope use, rear site is an empty dovetail, no bolt peep. The stock is a Monte Carlo, was made for scope use.
Yes the blue is typical of early 20th century.

I didn't look all that closely at the left side holes- I wasn't thinking about it as a possible purchase until hours later.

I'll stop and see it again over the weekend.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

you probably know this but those scope mount holes can be filled by a gunsmith. I have a 94 that had scope mount holes drilled into the receiver and I had a gunsmith fill them and you can almost not tell that they were ever there.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes, the holes are fairly simple fix. Of course if I buy it I'll have to find a new stock or get a mount and keep it as a scoped varmint gun...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

About a year ago I saw a new Winchester 1885 in .218 Bee in a gun shop in the Ft Worth area. The price was reasonable....still kicking myself for not buying it. It was a slick little gun.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I got my hands on this again today.
The serial number dates to 1924 but I'm going to check it again.
Top of the receiver has a stamp , BW or PW in an oval, the barrel also has the same stamp as well as an oval with CP - gotta look into those.

The scope base holes have filler screws, whoever did the D&T scribed the front and rear corners for location, scribe marks are visible.

The forend cap and toe of stock have sling swivels, cap missing screw on one side.
The gun has been worked on, screw slots show some dents ,dings from poor fitting screw drivers. The trigger feels about 3lbs.

Lever shows some rust, but the condition of the rest of the gun is good. The blue looks original or it was not put on a buffing wheel if it was reblued.
The bore looks good though dusty.

The question has yet to be asked by me but the owner is going to let me bring it home so I can clean it, check it out. He doesn't remember where he got it but thinks possibly in AZ( He is a snowbird).
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Pics
20240311_154148.jpg
20240311_153931.jpg
Oh and both stock and forend have been checkered- poorly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

The lever may be rusty because the originals are curved for a pistol grip stock. That one may be from a different gun or has been reshaped.

I have a like- new 65 Browning 218 Bee and it shoots better than me.

Nice find.

JBowen
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The more I'm looking around, this rifle is a 53 frame with straight lever, like you say the 65s were curved levers.

It does date as a 92 in 1924. More research now on the 53...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nope, not a 53. Serial number isn't in that range( knew that)

I'm starting to think this rifle is a project someone did...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Its definitely a 'project' gun. Probably a '92 action and pieced together 'mongrel'! I've seen quite a few over the years and actually bought one about 40 years ago that was quite well done. Numrich Arms had for sale new Model 65 .218 Bee barrels for many years; leftover NOS acquired from Winchester.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The other thing this one has that real one's don't is its got a half mag, not the forend length.
I have to get it on the bench and take it apart and look for more proofs under the forearm, the VP proof.
I'm thinking the double proof of WP on barrel and receiver show the gun was rebarreled like you say 65bee.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

That “oval P” on the barrel indicates it is a “Postal Order” replacement barrel not original to the gun. Winchester sold them through the mail. I have a 32-40 with a nickel steel oval P barrel. Bought it as a shooter as the bore is pristine. The gun is from 1907 but the barrel is way later.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thank you Turdyturdy, yes I read about that last night.
So this gun is not a 65 but a 92 with a bunch of work done to it.
Now to come up with an offer on it...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So IF a guy was smart, HE would have looked at the top tang and seen WINCHESTER 92 engraved! Boy what a dolt !! :lol:

I've got it in the vise, done some scrubbing and it's dirty! Some rust inside the receiver, this has been hanging 8 feet off the floor for who knows how long with 2 other 92s, a 94 and a pair of 73s. Those are next to get down and dive into .

I'm still not sure what is a fair offer...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow ! if I was there I'd be looking to get the '73's down. :D .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

.45colt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:41 pm Wow ! if I was there I'd be looking to get the '73's down. :D .
I'm going to get them down, just gonna take some time to get there. I'm very curious what the other 2 92s are, if a 38 and a 44 I might have to get a second job!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sold one of my outboards today, guy just stopped by and gave me more money towards the sale of my 4 wheeler- tomorrow I'm going to see the owner of this 92/65 and make an offer!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I ordered a Weaver side mount base and ring set this morning, figure if I buy this gun it's cheaper to go that way than get a stock, front and rear sites to get it shooting. Of course the scope will also allow me to wring out it's potential accuracy.

I might even request info from the Cody Museum, really curious about how it left the factory ( caliber mostly) .

Rimrock Bullets has a nice 46gr g/c fp bullet- perfect for the Bee!

Now to try and find someplace to go groundhog hunting...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!