Marlin Buckhorn sight screw size?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin Buckhorn sight screw size?

Post by Rockrat »

Took a new to me Marlin Century II (45-70) to the range for the first time today. After about 15 rounds, looked thru the rear sight and the adjustable sight blade was gone!!
Luckily, I found it and when I got home, tried to put it back in the sight, but when I loosened and took out the screw that holds it on the rear sight, almost a third of the head of the screw was gone. Barely enough slot in the screw so I could remove it.
Any idea on the size of the screw? Thinking a #2. Pretty tiny.
Thanks
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Marlin Buckhorn sight screw size?

Post by J Miller »

I'm not sure if it is, but if the rear sight is a Marbles brand sight you can get the screw from them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If the site is like the one on the Ruger 22s the slots are cut too deep and the heads break all the time. Maybe figure out size and pitch then look for an Allen cap screw?
I'd bet it's a #1 or maybe even a 0 .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I’d bet it’s a 6-48….or at most an 8-48……………every gun rank should have common gun screw size taps and dies…….you don’t need to be a schooled gunsmith or a NASA scientist….just go to Brownells and spend $40 for a box of common sized gun screws………it’s actually less money than a tank full of gas that we all go through in a week……..this way you'll have it for several years……….or more……..

I’d go as far to say 90% of all issues in life can be solved with common sense……..THATS one of the problems with Capitalism, …….people don’t tell you nothing all in the name of taking your money…….

I’ve always told my buds, LEARN the common screw sizes and keep them on hand……….small screws are usually 48 threads per inch, maybe 40…..bigger screws are 12-36, 1/4-28, 12-32, 8-40, ……..an example…..Winchester tang/stock screws are 12-28 and their smaller tang sight screws are 3/36…….you can grab a piece of another screw and thread your own.

I’m just a back yard gunsmith but I did learn about 80-90% of problems/projects can be figured out with common sense, a small but not Chinese made vise and a few hours or reading, all the time saving trouble, gas, and mental aggravation. Once you have the knowledge, no one can take it away…..

It’s all so simple even a Mexican illegal can do it.————006 and 3/16 th’s.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Got ahold of Marbles and asked about getting a replacement machine screw. It definitely isn't a #6 or a #4. Haven't measured the dia. no bigger than a #2 and a #1 wouldn't surprise me if its that small.

Really need to get another rear sight as I don't care for the full buckhorn. Semi-buckhorn would be better.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You should have Marbles send out a Bullseye rear sight for you to try. Both fast (like a ghost ring) AND accurate (like a peep).

Compared to a regular 'open' sight (drawn in on the lower photo) you see MUCH more of your target that's not obscured (and even more is obscured by the high 'buckhorn' sides), and the dual-rings are set up perfect for even older eyes - fast use results in a ghost-ring effect for pretty accurate snap-shots if needed, but take an extra half-second or so and your eyes focus so you can use the inner ring and you have full accuracy.

It's almost like a one-X scope - only no tube and no glass. 8)
Screenshot_20240313-091200-282.png
They make a non-elevation-adjustable version for folks wanting an 'express rifle' level of durability and simplicity and just tuning to one load, but I prefer the option of adjusting elevation (though I usually just develop one load and use it nearly always).
Screenshot_20240313-092006-860.png

Sixgun is right about the Brownells screw assortment - I've got a couple of their boxes and they help me fix a thing NOW rather than having to order a part.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "