My first Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

My first Levergun

Post by Bob Hatfield »

In 1960 I got my first lever gun. I was 5 years old living in Detroit Michigan. It was a cap busting 'Rifleman's" rifle. No not a model 70 Winchester but a plastic 92 Winchester with a loop lever and a doo-Hicky on the lever to trip the trigger just like "Pa".

My parents didn't know it, but I would awake in the middle of the night and undo the package the rifle was in under the Christmas tree and get the rifle out and play with in several nights before Christmas. Then put it back in the wrapping paper where I just undid the end and tape it shut. I probably acted surprised on Christmas.

Just think, me and dad and Nikita Khruschev was watching the Rifleman together. Below is a picture of me and sis. She has her "Patty Play Pal" . I'm in the background wringing out the Plastic Winchester.
Screenshot_20200818-174939_MyHeritage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: My first Levergun

Post by gamekeeper »

I wonder how many Winchester and Marlin leveraction rifles have been sold due only to the plastic cap busters enjoyed in childhood.... :?

Love the old photo.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Probably a lot!!!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Awesome memories Bob! I was lucky that my folks indulged my fondness for the many toy guns on the market in those days. I particularly liked the Mattel products that accepted the "Shoot'n Shells" with Greenie Stickem Caps.
Here I am at Christmas probably about 1962, which would make me 9 years old, with my new Mattel Snubnose 38 in the plastic shoulder holster, which fired said Shoot'n Shells. I believe I was "greatly pleased" as Ned Roberts was fond of saying. 8)

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Yes, I also was lucky enough to have received the Mattel set with the single-action revolver and lever gun that shot plastic (spring-loaded) bullets. Until I got old enough to buy a Winchester model 150 .22.
It is not the critic who counts