Watch your backstop when shooting...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Watch your backstop when shooting...

Post by AJMD429 »

21 minutes in is scary....

https://rumble.com/v4djykr--super-bowl- ... r-tha.html

Check the video out - there is someone walking down the street and the cop is firing in a clear panic right towards them...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Watch your backstop when shooting...

Post by wvfarrier »

And, had he killed the bystander, there would be no charges. Let a civilian do that and see what happens
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If the arrestee had been killed I wonder if they would have 'found' a gun on him. Probably so if he were white...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I worked in a large downtown building back around 1980 when city police first switched to high capacity Glock handguns. We had a woman with an Uzi walk up outside the entry area and begin waving it around. A lot of panic of course, but some stupid bystanders just stood inside the double glass entry doors watching her outside!
I began yelling and directing people to get away and out of the lobby. Then I went into the two shops on either side of the entry and got people to get out and find safety away from the lobby. When two officers arrived they immediately drew their Glocks and began shouting at the woman to drop her gun. By then she was sitting on the brick entry leaning against the glass outer doors. She simply raised her Uzi instead, and both officers opened up with their Glocks from less than 20 ft. away! They fired a total of 22 shots between them, and hither 3 times. She was DOA at the scene.
The shots that missed took out outer door glass, inner door glass, and some of the shops windows inside the building lobby. I was shocked that they could shoot that many times from so close and only hit 3 times. After the investigation it was discovered the woman's Uzi was a toy, so it was suicide by cop, and I felt bad for the officers who were involved.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sadly that's more the norm with police involved shootings. I believe it is simply the fact that most cops are NOT gun guys and the only shooting they do is to qualify every 6 months.
Back in the 80s part of our state police force trained at our range. Being teenagers we were kind of in awe and we got to shoot their duty weapons, HK P7s, 870s , AR/M 16s( don't remember if they had a FUN switch or not). More than once one of us kids would out shoot the troopers on a qualifying course. One day a Cornell was there and proceeded to get all bent out of shape because us kids shot so much better than his boys did. The owner of the range sat down with us and said we were no longer allowed to play with the state police.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Yup, if I was in your group I'd have fun playing with them too! Then again, if I couldn't play with them anymore, I'd just shoot a group on the same line that they were just to show them that they were shooting shotgun pattern groups. What was it Breaker Morant said just before the firing squad lit them up? "Shoot straight you Bas****'s, don't make a mess of it"!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Actually, I think the title should be "Be Sure of Your Target!"

But that scenario was wrong on many more levels that the obvious! But... I am not surprised. when I was a background investigator in CA, no one from a FL Sheriff's Office or City Police Dept. was hired that didn't first go thru our Academy and finish the required 1440 hours of CA mandated OTJ street training. Their training (at least at that time, and little I've seen since has changed my impression), in a word... sucked.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Our range rents or gives range time to a couple local law enforcement agencies, and when they're there the range they use is our 100 yd. range, and it's shut down during their time. I've often been out there at the time they're supposed to be finished so I could start shooting, and occasionally they've told me I couldn't shoot as "they had the range reserved".
When I tell them they're past the scheduled time they usually lighten up and someone will tell me to go ahead and shoot. I haul out my 1800's single shots and after setting up targets I outshoot their groups with their AR15's with no trouble at all. A few of them will usually come over and ask what the guns are, and want to see the ammunition, and sight setups. I've offered to let them shoot whatever I brought, but so far no takers.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Hiring honorably discharged veterans as gendarmes doesn't help apparently.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fl ... r-BB1ikQoU

We have a local goomer who has p.t.s.d. from serving in the national guard and was promoted to investigator because he was a danger to the community whilst on patrol.
m.A.g.a. !
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:30 pm Sadly that's more the norm with police involved shootings. I believe it is simply the fact that most cops are NOT gun guys and the only shooting they do is to qualify every 6 months.
Back in the 80s part of our state police force trained at our range. Being teenagers we were kind of in awe and we got to shoot their duty weapons, HK P7s, 870s , AR/M 16s( don't remember if they had a FUN switch or not). More than once one of us kids would out shoot the troopers on a qualifying course. One day a Cornell was there and proceeded to get all bent out of shape because us kids shot so much better than his boys did. The owner of the range sat down with us and said we were no longer allowed to play with the state police.
You are correct. Many are not and some struggle to even qualify with a few every year having to receive EXTRA TRAINING to pass. I was a range officer for the State Police where I worked, part-time, and dealt with them as necessary. While about 20% of us shot MASTER CLASS (allowed to drop 5 points out of 250). 5-7% were on the other end many older desk operators with model 60s, and 2 1/2 inch Model 66s then 686s. Hard training when we stitched to Semi-auto S&W .40s and had to shorten our qual distances from 50 yards to 25 (and in) due to the .40 not shooting well enough until we switched to SIG 229s in the Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI).
Was that UTAH with the HK P-7s, the only agency I shot with that used them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No sir, NJ!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!