I shot my new SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

I shot my new SAA

Post by Walt »

Yesterday was a reasonably nice day here so I took my new (to me) SAA in .45 Colt out. Born date is 1999, it appears unfired. I took a couple of loads out; Lyman 452190 250 gr RNFP over 8 gr of Unique and RCBS 45-255 SWC over 10.4 gr of AA-5. I had both bullets sized to .4535 and although they dropped right through the chambers without touching, they both shot remarkably well. We were shooting offhand at our usual gong setup; five gongs lined up a hillside, the nearest at about 35 yards and the farthest, 9" in diameter at just under 65 yards. Despite a rough, heavy trigger with a bunch of creep, I am delighted with the results. The sights were right on for both windage and elevation; I thought the RCBS load might have been a bit more accurate than the other but that could have been the shooters. Also, that load smoked the case mouths just a bit so I'll up the load by .2 gr. I'll probably shoot another hundred rounds through it and then take care of the trigger. Nice gun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: I shot my new SAA

Post by Sixgun »

That’s nice Walt….ya figure, it’s 24 years new and junk could be in the notch……..do a trigger pull test on it then spend a few minutes doing the old fashioned trigger job…..that’s pushing on the back of the hammer while it’s in full cock mode and with your finger on the trigger….go back and forth 50 times……….piece of leather, about an eighth inch thick between the mainspring and the grip frame will also reduce it.

I’ve said this before on the board….I had a box of arsenal sealed 45 Colt ammo from IIRC 1912…..on it was stamped the load, 250 gr lead bullet and 6 grains of Bullseye….i use 7 of 231 and the cases stay clean……

Then go to some sight dealer like aftermarket for Glocks and weld the sight on the right side of the frame, right where the color case hardening is brightest and then you’ll be all ready to go when in “da hood”.

Colt did an excellent job on the fitting of the metal parts on yours…seamless…..the colors are bright and distinctive also….

There’s just something about a single action Colt.——00
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Yeah! Great idea, Dr Six!

I could get an aftermarket sight and weld it onto the right side along with one of those TruGlo front sights and then I could turn the gun on its side and throw the bullets just like the gangstas do. Thanks, man!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Walt…..sheeeeeeeeeetttt bro….we be gangstas…..

On your Colt 200 gr SWC’s, designed for the 45 acp make great play loads. The front band lines em up real good.

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Thanks, Buddy! And I appreciate your potato.....
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I had three from the 1990's ,one I ordered new from Custom Shop in 94 same as above 45 Colt 5 1/2" traded it for a high condition 1892 made in 1896 . But I deeply mis that SAA .Only a 35mm remains of it.

Nice lookin SAA , I plan to replace mine sooner than later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Yep, funny how missing something like that just gnaws away at you, getting worse by the year.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Yes ,and the really sad part is that SAA was $950 new and today its going to cost me $2200-$2500 to replace it.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad you got it out Walt!
My new 4.75" .45 didn't make it near that long unfired. Just a couple months from the production date. :D
The trigger on mine was like that too. Do like Six said and burnish it while sitting watching TV. I also loaded it with snap caps and ran it a good bit. I shimmed under the mainspring, and it helped, but it's not where I want it. I have a Wolff spring set coming for it Monday.
My second gen 5.5" .357 was pretty good as is, so I left it.
My 1st gen 5.5" .45 was real stiff too. I put the Wolff springs in it and I it fixed it right up.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I was going to suggest the wolf springs but you have to be careful with lighter mainsprings. I don’t know how and I’ve only read about it but if it’s too light it can throw the timing off.

At one time I did complete spring change outs, just a bit lighter than factory on several of my “working” n frame Smiths. It only takes cold weather and/or a slightly raised primer to get a misfire. The leather does the same on a Colt SAA…..just a tad lighter but still reliable.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve owned a few SAAs over the years, but I only kept one. A Second Generation gun that had been well used.

But it’s the only one that shot to the sights.

Cimarron reproductions seem to be much better regulated.

A .454 diameter Hornady bulk cowboy bullet at 255 gr shoots very well over 8 gr of Unique though the outside of the cases do get some fouling on them.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Any of the SAA made in the last 30 years have EDM cut hand slots .Most are as rough as an cast frame in that slot.
If you really want a 1st Gen quality feel you'll have to do some stoning to hand slot and face of hammer and any area in frame where contact is made which is also EDM cut. Just enough to remove striations . You can get the hand slot stone from Brownells.SAA screwdriver set from Grace.

If you really want to get down to brass tacks get a copy of Kuhnhausens Colt SAA gunsmithing and learn to adjust sear angle/contact. Great book and the legend Jim Martin was a great help in making of this book.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

And if you really want to get serious about slicking that SAA up here are some of the tools of the trade. Thanks to two legends ,Jim Martin and Jerry Kuhnhausen.

After 30 years of use my hand slot stone is worn out , no longer has the nice thin crisp edge needed.

As far as springs , you can adjust the originals and the book tells you exactly how. Purchase and extra set from Colt or Brownells though.

Much of the SAA frame forging is now EDM cut vs the old broaching/milling done in the past . At times it leaves a fairly coarse finish especially I blind bottom areas like hand slot.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have several of the Kuhnhausen books. I'll check and see if I have the one for Colt SAAs.

I have about 15 Blackhawks and SBHs and I've put either Bisley or SBH hammers in all of them. I lower the cocking notches of the new hammers down to .012, measured with a feeler gauge and it eliminates all of the creep. I smooth the sliding surfaces and then reassemble them, put a 1/4" rope around the hammer, pull the trigger and thus apply pressure to the sear and notch to arrive at the feel i want. I normally don't mess with spring pressure except the trigger return spring and end up with about 2 1/2 lb triggers.
Last edited by Walt on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I have a SAA about the same age as yours, 1990's. Unfortunately, mine shoots about 6" to the right at 50ft, but I am left handed and it recoils a bit to the right. Sights must be set up for you rightys.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I bought a used .44 spl Colt NF maybe 7 or 8 years ago and it shot way to the left so the rear sight was cranked all the way over to the right. That irked me and I took it to a gunsmith who refused to turn the barrel for me, afraid he would scratch it. I ended up trading that gun and a Thunder Ranch .44 spl which also shot way to the left for a FA model 97 at Cabelas. I love that gun. I bought a barrel vise from Midway in the meantime with which I've nudged the barrels over a bit on several fixed sight single actions so they'll shoot to point of aim.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Walt wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:23 am I have several of the Kuhnhausen books. I'll check and see if I have the one for Colt SAAs.

I have about 15 Blackhawks and SBHs and I've put either Bisley or SBH hammers in all of them. I lower the cocking notches of the new hammers down to .012, measured with a feeler gauge and it eliminates all of the creep. I smooth the sliding surfaces and then reassemble them, put a 1/4" rope around the hammer, pull the trigger and thus apply pressure to the sear and notch to arrive at the feel i want. I normally don't mess with spring pressure except the trigger return spring and end up with about 2 1/2 lb triggers.
Well then should be easy for you to make that SAA run smooth as silk. Pick up a hand slot stone for SAA if you don't have it already lots of drag from that EDM finish.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Pat, I sometimes use a piece of a sharp automotive point file for that although I admit a stone would probably be better. Thanks!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Walt wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:54 pm Pat, I sometimes use a piece of a sharp automotive point file for that although I admit a stone would probably be better. Thanks!
Everybody is out of the hand slot stones but here is the kit at Brownells.

Also when I say rough take a look at the surface of the hand slot in this Colt SAA cutaway. EDM can be rough as raw casted surface.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Yeah, I looked into getting one from Brownells but as you say, they're sold out. I did put my name on the list though for notification when they're available again.

That cutaway looks incredibly rough. Thanks again.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My 2 3rd Gen Colt SAAs are from the 1970s. The first one had an action job by Bob Munden in 1986. He polished the hammer/trigger interface, put in a wire trigger/bolt spring and put an hourglass shape to the mainspring (Look at Lee's Gunsmithing Kit), but not that drastic. What a world of difference. In 1988 I had a local smith put in a Ruger hand spring & plunger. In 1993 the mainspring broke. I took my spare and hourglassed it myself. It's no less than a ¼" at the narrowest point, with NO sharp corners or edges. Filed smooth on all ground edges, then polished. I prefer this style mainspring to the Wolff, (half as many surfaces to develop cracks, which is how they fail). My 2nd 3rd Gen Colt has had the same treatments done, except by different smiths. I've replaced bolt/trigger springs with ones from Heinie, (avail from Brownells), in a couple of clones and my competition 1851s.

Also, be cautious about the leather washer under the mainspring... it can, and does, attract moisture, leading to rust, or the opposite, dries out and loosens.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice work Griff.
There's no doubt the lifespan is reduced with the Wolff mainspring. I haven't had an issue, but mine see way less action than yours for sure. I'm not as concerned about breaking it as modifying my original.
I refrained from leather under the mainspring for that very reason. A plastic or stainless shim is what I use. Only about .050-.060 thick. They don't crush down like the leather. They also don't cushion, but I don't want the rust.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.