A classic: the .44 Russian

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

A classic: the .44 Russian

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It finally warmed up in these parts and I was able to get some casting and lube/sizing done with the new Lee 429-24-2R. It took some fiddling with .44 Special dies (just kissing the case mouths with a .45 ACP expander) and the Lee .44 Russian bullet seat/crimp die but the loaded rounds came out great. I used 6.0 grains of Unique per John Taffin's test article on the Russian and look forward to some range time. There is just something about the Russian case coupled with a classic round-nosed lead bullet that approaches aesthetic perfection for a handgun cartridge in my eye.

JimT
Shootist

Re: A classic: the .44 Russian

Post by JimT »

Nice looking gun with attractive ammo, Bill!
I like shooting some of those old loads myself. I like the old slow factory .44 Specials also along with the old .45 Colt loads.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Beautiful gun, Bill and I love those one-piece grips!

Thanks!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, I'll load some as well with 5.0 grains of Unique; Taffin quotes 718 fps from a 7 1/2-inch barrel.
The Russian always makes me think of the Colt Bisley 7 1/2-inch target model with the rear sight. Sure would be something to shoot one of those.
Walt, thanks. It's a Cimarron/Uberti Model P, .44 Special.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have shot Colt Bisley's. I do not care for the Colt Bisley grip shape. They are an interesting piece of history though.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:37 pm I have shot Colt Bisley's. I do not care for the Colt Bisley grip shape. They are an interesting piece of history though.
Same here Jim. I do like the looks of a Bisley grip, but every one I owned or shot didn't point naturally for me. I always felt like the barrel pointed down when I pulled up to a target, forcing me to raise the barrel to an un-natural hold.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I’m surprised the Bisley Colt was as popular as it was……maybe it was better for target shooting but who shot targets in those days? I’d suspect that maybe 5,000 of those being made but 44K?…..I’ve owned them and shot em…..to me it was a clunky chunk of iron….

Bill…..I too used 6 of Unique in my Colt 44R……never shot it much, maybe 100 rds but it is a beer can accurate gun to 100. 1 of 153 made in SAA.

Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Six, that is a very nice specimen you have there. 8) 8) 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I love the .44 Russian round. Just a lot of fun to load and shoot! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thank you Bill and Kid…….dint forget, these guns have been in my possession for decades…….the 80’s-90’s was my favorite time as a lot of collections were being split up by the ww2 guys……

What’s really sad is what the internet did……all of a sudden everyone becomes an expert….in my day you had to know and invest lots of time to find out what the good stuff was, along with a complete library and endless weekend gun shows, estate sales, auctions…..
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"What’s really sad is what the internet did……all of a sudden everyone becomes an expert….in my day you had to know and invest lots of time to find out what the good stuff was, along with a complete library and endless weekend gun shows, estate sales, auctions….."

--SixGun

BINGO!! We have a winner here.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, the Russian did not disappoint. I had loaded twenty rounds of 6.0 of Unique, WLP in Starline brass under the Lee 429-240-2R and 10 rounds of 6.0 of Unique, WLP in Winchester .44 Special brass under the same bullet. Just shooting informally offhand at about 15 yards, the Russians made about half the size group that the Specials did. Of course, now I need to load a bunch more and shoot from rest at 20 or 25 yards and maybe take the chronograph. I will also back down to 4.5 of Unique for a dozen or so loads just to try the maximum load listed for the same bullet weight in the Lyman 51st. I could feel the higher pressure of 6.0 grains in the smaller Russian case vs. the same 6.0 in the Special. If this accuracy advantage holds up, this will be the second sixgun I've shot the Russian in that provided pleasing accuracy.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good accuracy is one of life's pleafures which can be passed down for generations.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Brian, I agree.
Hope you are well!