I found this veeery interesting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

I found this veeery interesting

Post by JDL »

I think this should prove to the man bun crowd that an old .30 WCF does not bounce off game animals! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJYk07rN8GU
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I found this veeery interesting

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just excellent. God bless our Canadian brothers and sisters.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That was an excellent video. I like the details about the ammunition review.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Yes very interesting! And more than confirms what most of us already know of the 30wcf, it's kinda the little engine that could! And when we load it with the correct bullet for the task, and shovel just little more coal in the fire, it'll get the job done out to the max of iron sight range, into the optics land!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've used the 170gr Hornady Interlock since I was in Jr. High. Didn't see anything telling me it's the wrong choice. The trajectory isnt an issue in my terrain as my ranges are short. Interesting to me me, would be the Barnes 190gr traditional. However, I had poor performance with their 255gr traditional 38-55 bullet. Almost universal jacket shedding.

I've also taken a lot of heat over the years for my dislike of Core Locks. I realize that it was a small sample, but I have seen the same issues on game with locals using these on deer over decades and across different chamberings.
In my area, they are popular because they are available and cheap. Mostly cheap.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Firearms and ammunition is like many other pursuits. Folks are always reinventing the wheel and praising its attributes. But, it’s still round and doesn’t roll any better.

Newer ammunition and firearms don’t kill one bit better because dead is dead.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It not only proves what many of us knew, but also shows that with the right bullet and shot placement any larger game can be taken with the .30-30 cartridge.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Another very insightful discussion of the .30-30 and the bullets available for it comes from this New Zealand Web site.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... 0+WCF.html
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

30 cal is 30 cal. one reason 30-30 is such a great hunting round is that it doesn't send it at hyper-warp velocity. 300 win mag has 30-30 ballistics at the business end of its range. at some point you have hand-gun ballistics, just before it hits the dirt.

one if the benefits of the gel-test data is that I now have 185 JHP loads in the 45 ACP for in-town wear, and will have 255 Gr 45 Super in the gun for rural settings, BECAUSE that 255 Gr bullet penetrates 64 inches of gel, or a couple of houthis crosswise. OTOH, subject to experimentation, the super might be a viable 80 yard deer load, IDK yet...

veeery interesting indeed
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The Super gets discussed frequently on the Handgun Hunters International forum. 8)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:26 pm The Super gets discussed frequently on the Handgun Hunters International forum. 8)
OK, on my way! :wink:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I dont need a video. My first rifle was a 1979 Marlin 336 in 30-30. It has worked every time and I dont have to buy premium bullets that cost you an arm and leg. It does it with Federal, Winchester, or Remington 150 or 170 grain promotional ammo.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That is a very well done video. He did his homework and knowing what the 'limitations ' of the ol wcf he proved the naysayers wrong.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:52 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:26 pm The Super gets discussed frequently on the Handgun Hunters International forum. 8)
OK, on my way! :wink:
Here's a relatively relevant link -> https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=295175
I had strayed into .50 GI ballistics and it illustrates some interesting information that compares 45 ACP, 45 Super, and .460 Rowland numbers. I may want a 460 setup, and was taken by the expression "lock over TDC". What, exactly, does that mean? I suspect it's to do with the locking lugs on the barrel top and slide, but how does that work?
4_1911_460 Rowland ballistics a.png
this group seems to just be realizing that expansion is not always necessary or desirable, and that the flat meplat makes for long wound tracks, this makes me glad the parts that will wake up The 45 are getting closer . . :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The most powerful and the fastest bullets are rarely necessesary
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost