Remembering the terror of leprosy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Remembering the terror of leprosy

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A friend was discussing all the armadillos she trapped last year on her farm in Missouri, and this got me thinking about these unusual critters. We've all heard that armadillos can be vectors for Hansen's disease -- leprosy -- but transmission is rare. In fact, 95 percent of human adults are immune to leprosy.
But I happened to run across this item on the CDC site, and tomorrow is the fourth Sunday in January -- and the 70th annual World Leprosy Day. Can't hurt to pause a moment and think of those who do have it -- and of the terror it brought in earlier times.

https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/wo...prosy-day/index.html

And there were some real saints who gave all to minister to the shunned and isolated sufferers in "leper colonies," including the notorious colony on Molokai.

https://www.nps.gov/kala/learn/historyc ... damien.htm
JimT
Shootist

Re: Remembering the terror of leprosy

Post by JimT »

There is a base in Pemba that houses lepers. I met quite a few during the years we lived there. Not something we think much of here in the western world, but it is not uncommon in many place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My Dad always referred to armadillos as 'possum on the half shell' :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hands off to those who took care of the victoms.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

And we still tally 200,000 human cases per year; the fight is not over, but it is completely winnable with antibiotics.
Regarding dillo meat, I have now heard from three fellas who have eaten it and say it is excellent.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:23 am And we still tally 200,000 human cases per year; the fight is not over, but it is completely winnable with antibiotics.
Regarding dillo meat, I have now heard from three fellas who have eaten it and say it is excellent.
I met a few of the leprosy victims in Pemba. All were beautiful souls.