The Freezing weather has gone on past but

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Freezing weather has gone on past but

Post by JimT »

now we are under a Flood Advisory.
IMG_6549.JPG
IMG_6550.JPG
IMG_6551.JPG
We are high enough above the river that it does not present a problem for us. It would have to rise more than 50 feet to come close to us. But today it's gonna be "dig out the mud boots" ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Freezing weather has gone on past but

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nothing but gloomy drizzle up here in the Big Country, Jim. Rain due for the next couple of days, though.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We finally got out of the house for the first time in a week yesterday! Before that the snow and freezing rain mad things too dangerous too even think of trying to walk to our cars, or drive anywhere. After my crash and burn last week going out to check the generator I'm almost healed up, and sure didn't want to do it again!
Looks like rain and mid 40's for highs all this week!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's going to be the same thing Here Jim. Last week We had good cold weather , everything is frozen up. Lake Erie is starting to freeze. I have felt better than I did all winter. now Wednesday it going to warm up and rain the rest of the week, more mud. :evil: . I hate it. wish it would just stay cold for about six weeks.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Same here, constant "falling rain" sound track. The upside? Very Low UV Index :!: :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:27 am It's going to be the same thing Here Jim. Last week We had good cold weather , everything is frozen up. Lake Erie is starting to freeze. I have felt better than I did all winter. now Wednesday it going to warm up and rain the rest of the week, more mud. :evil: . I hate it. wish it would just stay cold for about six weeks.
I knew there was something off about you East Siders! :D
The cold didn't used to bother me, but anymore my tolerance is becoming less and less. Can't wait for a warm sunny day.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

And that is why more people die in January than any other month…………used to love the winter……….hate it now…….

On the plus side I’ll be cutting grass in 8 weeks…..

Ya know Jim……use that flood to your advantage ……..maybe the water will seep down, freeze, and push up Jesse James’s buried fortune.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

2ndovc wrote:"I knew there was something off about you East Siders! :D ". :lol: . Jason, After about six weeks of cloudy , cold ,rainy weather in the 30-40's with hardly no Sun at all I'll take the snow we have now and the ground frozen like a rock. My six week plan would get thru Feb. into March and then the countdown begins for the trip to South Carolina . 8) .
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:51 pm Ya know Jim……use that flood to your advantage ……..maybe the water will seep down, freeze, and push up Jesse James’s buried fortune.
I'm pretty sure the only thing of Jesse James's that's buried are his bones. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:24 pm
I'm pretty sure the only thing of Jesse James's that's buried are his bones. :D
Jim,
I respectfully disagree……the ground has been the best hiding place in the history of mankind……..we all know that groups of criminals didn’t even trust the ones they were with so before a robbery, they would hide their loot no different than a soldier would hide his loot before a battle as they all knew the guy who was holding the loot almost always bought a nice farm after the war was over……….

Then, as you say, “they got kilt”.🤣………

Off the subject I’m still reading your books…….and somewhat knowing you I bet they are all true………you and pops in the mountains and letting lead fly in the nighttime……..I say your pops did a whole lot more than what you say…….those guys in that generation did what they had to do and were very adept at keeping secrets.——-Double 0 6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

You may be correct Jack. And that's what keeps people hunting for treasure!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:33 pm The cold didn't used to bother me, but anymore my tolerance is becoming less and less. Can't wait for a warm sunny day.

jb 8)
Same, Jason. The older I get the more the damp & cold of southern winters hurts my joints. At this point I would rather take colder and drier. We've still goy sub-freezing morning temps here, but that should end in the next day or so.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This past couple weeks have been a trial across the country for sure.
Here we had snow, then it warmed and rained causing a ton of flooding- no effect at home as it would need to rain 20 days before I'd get worried at this elevation.
Then more snow and cold and more snow - now it's on the warming side and more rain the rest of the week. With frost in the ground now the snow melt and coming rain are going to cause a whole lot more flooding.
Building this barn ya just have to dress for the cold, flannel lined jeans?! Makes a huge difference with my longhandles!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

More gloom and drizzle here, neither fish nor fowl. :(
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:51 pm More gloom and drizzle here, neither fish nor fowl. :(
Ya But, we don't have to shovel it!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Hope You are All warm and Dry....Last weekend the Neighbors had their Kids out on the snowmobiles having fun. now it's back to the 30-40's ,snow is gone and the only happy critters are the Squirrels hanging off the Oak trees and local Ducks. One Cleveland weather Man says We have a "Train Of Rain" this week. Time to pull on the knee boots to go outside. :lol: .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rain last night and our snow is gone too, no snow makes a guy look where he walks so I don't step in a Sage landmine!

It's 54° here today, more rain tonight then rain snow Sunday into Monday.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The 'light dusting' of maybe a 1/2" of snow predicted for our valley SW of Denver last night at 10 pm has turned into a full on snow with at least 3" on the ground and still snowing with about 2+ more hours before it moves out. That's enough snow that the snow plow just went down our street as I was typing the first sentence.

So much for Fox31's 'accurate' weather reporting . . . However, the weather guys will say, "Hey, it's just hit or miss raining here in downtown Denver so we were right."
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

COSteve wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:45 am The 'light dusting' of maybe a 1/2" of snow predicted for our valley SW of Denver last night at 10 pm has turned into a full on snow with at least 3" on the ground and still snowing with about 2+ more hours before it moves out. That's enough snow that the snow plow just went down our street as I was typing the first sentence.

So much for Fox31's 'accurate' weather reporting . . . However, the weather guys will say, "Hey, it's just hit or miss raining here in downtown Denver so we were right."
Hi Steve, as someone whose life and livelihood depended on the WX, regardless of how well or poorly it was forecast, I have seen improvements in forecasting of several orders of magnitude. I and other fishermen and tug skippers reported actual weather by radio to the Yakutat forecast office for years. It radically altered their forecasting to the point that the wx service placed 2 sea-buoys in the EGOA to keep tabs on the independent weather system that exists in the Eastern Gulf of Alaska. You can help forecasters out by calling them and letting them know that you got more snow than forecast...

Then too HUGE KUDOs to Fox Weather for their life-saving management of tornado weather. They broadcast warnings to towns that are in the line of fire, and minute by minute information about which town is getting hit, and when, to the minute. This is technology at its best.

Early days in my fishing career we were trolling for king salmon offshore, drifting during the 3 hours of darkness, in a Flat Calm Pacific Ocean for two weeks of Flat Calm. The forecast every day was "outlook, SE 15 increasing to SE 35 with gusts to 40 KTS. Every day. Of the flattest ocean I've ever seen. Of course the "models" were telling them this was so, and of course it was going to happen sometime, because it always does. But they were blind and didn't know it because of what was missing the actual on scene weather.

grizz
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We went so quickly from freezing weather and freezing rain, to warm weather and excessive rain, that now the fear is flooding in some areas. Even the ski resorts are worried now as the freezing level has risen to 7000 ft., and only one ski area is above that on Mt Hood.
Supposed to hit low 60's tomorrow, but at least the rains are supposed to stop. We've had almost 9" of rain this month so far. Average is 3.5" and record stands at 12" for January.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It looked strange outside about noon. I went out to see what it was and there was this big yellow light in the sky that felt warm! It was kinda frightening but I think I could get used to it.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's a wonderful thing Jim! We have been fogged in here for a week now since it warmed up. The weather people say we may see that strange "star" late next week . I'll keep My sunglasses handy. :shock: .