A Boy Needs a Creek (Mike Rhinehart)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

A Boy Needs a Creek (Mike Rhinehart)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This article really struck a cord with me. Growing up north of Indianapolis, before suburban sprawl wiped it all out (after I became an adult and moved away), I was lucky to live in the county on an old farm that had been turned in 20-odd parcels, 1-5 acres each. And we had large fields and woods right beside the neighborhood. The woods had a creek running through it, and as a lad I spent all summer, every summer, playing in those woods around that creek. Those were simpler and much more enjoyable times. I'm in my fourth house I've owned now, moving around more than I did growing up, but this one and one before have/had a creek marking the back property line. That was not by accident. Running water, even a little, just calls to my soul. :)

A Boy Needs a Creek
By Mike Rhinehart · January 23, 2024
https://patriotpost.us/articles/103769- ... 2024-01-23

When I was growing up, there were several hundred acres behind our home that I roamed constantly from the time I was around eight years old until suburbia started to encroach on it a decade later. About 140 acres had once been farmed for corn, but by the time I was born in the late ‘50s, sapling pines covered the fields.

Going south about a quarter-mile across these acres, you entered a mature hardwood forest of oak and hickory through which a lovely little creek flowed.

A boy learns so many things from a creek in the woods. It was here that I first witnessed tadpoles become bullfrogs. I saw crawfish and salamanders, snakes of all varieties, beavers and raccoons and even otters, ducks and the quirky long bill woodcocks probing the soft banks for worms. I witnessed the cycle of life and death.

Being very still and observant, I once watched two beavers begin to build a dam. Their understanding of engineering is something I will never forget witnessing. I lay on my stomach on the creek bank nestled in a bed of ferns and watched them for hours as the sun was setting.

For a young boy who read about the exploits of legendary outdoorsmen such as Jedediah Smith, Kit Carson, and Jim Bridger under the covers at night with a flashlight, this place was near magic. With imagination, this became my very own Great North Woods.

During our rare snowstorms in Southeast Tennessee, the woods and the creek were the first place I went. In the fresh snow cover, I could look for tracks and try to identify what creatures made them.

During a heavy snow in the late '60s, I went to the creek and burrowed into some brush on the bank to see what I could see. Half-dollar-size snowflakes were falling and the woods were still and quiet. Just when I thought my hands and feet could take no more cold, a red fox appeared on the opposite bank for a drink of water.

The fox cautiously worked his way down the bank, eyes looking left and right. When he drank, his eyes were not looking at the water, they were looking up—scanning for larger predators like domestic dogs and encroaching coyotes. It was in this moment I learned what situational awareness was.

A few minutes later I learned what risk assessment and management was as well. In my desire to get to the opposite bank and see what the fox tracks looked like in the snow, I decided to cross a downed log that spanned the creek. I had never even attempted that crossing in the summer and now it was snow covered.

I made it about halfway across and slipped. With arms pinwheeling for balance, I fell backwards into the creek. I had on a wool jacket so the fall, while not life threatening, still had me shivering uncontrollably when I made it home to warmth and dry clothes.

During summer, the creek became a place to wade and cool off and also to fish the deep pool created by the beaver dam. Nothing complicated for tackle, just a cane pole with some line and bobber, a hook, and a can of worms.

Very soon in life I would begin to fish distant locations with my father using more refined tackle. In the subsequent five decades since his death and the attendant loss of my all-time favorite fishing companion, I have fly-fished all across the country. Through it all, I think maybe I was just trying to replicate one July morning in my childhood memory, sitting on the banks of that creek with a cane pole in hand and not a care in the world.

Now, nearly two generations have passed since most children commonly played in the woods, though the lucky kids still do. Richard Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods, addresses this decline in outdoor activities, citing electronic distractions, structured schedules with school and sports, more homework, and parents’ general fear of other dangers like Lyme disease and West Nile Virus. Of course, concern about crime and child predators rank high among the reasons that unsupervised and unstructured play rarely takes place in the woods these days.

A lot of that concern is exacerbated by endless media reports concerning dangers to children. Consequently, much of the wonder, creativity, self-confidence, and general love and appreciation of nature have not been cultivated. How can you love something you don’t know?

I now live on the banks of the James River in North Dakota. Many of the same creatures that inhabited the creek of my youth are here as well. There are no snakes or bullfrogs, but we gained eagles, wolves, deer, and the occasional mountain lion.

I am drawn to water and wild places.

The childhood memories of “my creek” come flooding back when I hear the opening lines of singer/songwriter Guy Clark’s song “Mud”:

Now down by the creek where the water goes slow
The green-backed heron and the moccasin know
All things come to him who waits
Yet he is lost, who hesitates
Life and death just dancin’ around in the mud
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: A Boy Needs a Creek (Mike Rhinehart)

Post by gamekeeper »

.A good post, I grew up close to the River Rea which was only a stream where I lived, didn't have much in the way of wildlife but plenty of adventures and now fond memories.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I think Mr. Rhinehart is talking about a "crick" instead of a "creek." The eminent authority on such things .. Patrick McManus ... tells us that a "creek" runs through property with manicured lawns and golf courses, while a "crick" runs through woods and cow pastures. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Fond memories brought back for sure! My Grandmother lived not far from the west fork of the Carson River, all us cousins would 'Boulder walk' for miles when the river was lowered during irrigation season. Never forget those days...
Spent lots of time around cricks, creeks, streams and rivers since!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Great story! Thanks for posting it Jay!

I didn't have a crick in the backyard growing up... I had 3 brothers instead!!!

If we'd "had a crick" -- I'd bet only 3 of us would have made it to adulthood. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No "creeks" or "cricks" in these parts. We have brooks and streams. We had brooks and Ponds in the woods we played in. They also had foxholes scattered through them from when my father and his friends played there a generation before. We utilized them too, having BB gun fights (yeah, I know) while wearing WW2 surplus web gear and US and German helmets. We built log tree houses, hunted with pellet guns and slingshots, and learned a lot. When older, we rode dirt bikes and snowmobiles, and learned still more. There was plenty of wildlife, up to an occasional deer. Being on the edge of town, it was mostly small game, fish, and waterfowl.
I still take ride through there on my trail bike once in a while. It's much smaller, but still there. I think it's much quieter there these days. Kids don't live like we did. Lots of memories in those pines.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:05 am I think Mr. Rhinehart is talking about a "crick" instead of a "creek." The eminent authority on such things .. Patrick McManus ... tells us that a "creek" runs through property with manicured lawns and golf courses, while a "crick" runs through woods and cow pastures. :D
Mine was definitely then a "crick" (which, thinking back, is what we called it :lol: ), though since I have lived in neighborhoods, the first one in the house I owned was a "creek". This one - well, I bought the land because it had a small woods at the end of my yard, and backs up to a very wooded hill behind me. So I'm going with "crick"! :lol:
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Brings back memories ...thank you! I grew up just like this in Maine traveling the woods with my 22 rifle. Brooks, streams, swamps and bogs. Lots of huge tracts of land with thousands of acres to play in. At the time it was SD Warren paper company land but not logged for many years. A paradise for us that played in the woods and all was good as long as i made it home before supper. Still can see that huge old buck coming out onto the bog. I was using a predator call and he was coming right to me. He was completely gray and a buck the local trapper knew well. It was the day before deer season opened up. The buck was hit by a car toward the end of the season and weighed 242 and was a 12 point. Hooked me on deer hunting for good for the rest of my life. These woods are still available and mostly unchanged. Still wandering them to this day.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Woodsloafer2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:01 pm Brings back memories ...thank you! I grew up just like this in Maine traveling the woods with my 22 rifle. Brooks, streams, swamps and bogs. Lots of huge tracts of land with thousands of acres to play in. At the time it was SD Warren paper company land but not logged for many years. A paradise for us that played in the woods and all was good as long as i made it home before supper. Still can see that huge old buck coming out onto the bog. I was using a predator call and he was coming right to me. He was completely gray and a buck the local trapper knew well. It was the day before deer season opened up. The buck was hit by a car toward the end of the season and weighed 242 and was a 12 point. Hooked me on deer hunting for good for the rest of my life. These woods are still available and mostly unchanged. Still wandering them to this day.
Me too!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I am now watching my grandchildren walk the trails and climb the trees that not only I climbed, but my father, grandmother, and great-grandfather, who is a civil war veteran.

My great grandfather was a photographer in the 1880s and when he began to visit this property to rent a room or camp out, he began to bring his daughter who would become my grandmother, and purchase the property when she grew up and married my grandfather. There is a creek on the property and at this point 6th generations have watched the tadpoles, caught the fish, planted the gardens, and hunted the deer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Agree that we came up in a good time! I am fortunate to hunt the same woods as I did as a kid, first with a Daisy Red Rider, and later with my Dad's single shot Remington 33 twenty two. But now, there's deer which wasn't there when I was a kid. Our first deer season was in 1960, IIRC. I roamed the woods then with an 8mm Mauser brought back from WWII but, never saw so much as a deer track. I have a question, have any of you ever ridden a pine sapling? :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You guys need to get the book Two Litte Savages by Earnest Thompson Seaton.

It's a classic an adult would enjoy, but readable by a kid.

I get a copy for each grandkid.

AND I'll read it with them if needed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "