Who is shooting a surplus rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Who is shooting a surplus rifle?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Man, I used to have a closet full of these things: Mosins, Finns, Arisakas, Enfields, Carcanos, Mausers, Swiss straight-pulls. All I have now is a minty Loewe Argentine Model 1891 that doesn't appear to have been fired -- and I am reluctant to do so.
One of the lads is waving a very nice postwar Yugo M48 Mauser under my nose and I am trying hard to resist. I would probably shoot cast in it if I succumb. :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who is shooting a surplus rifle?

Post by marlinman93 »

I've had several Model 95 and 98 Mausers in 8x75 and all were great shooters with very nice bores. I got a couple from Big 5 Sports near my house when they had Yugos for $99 some years ago. Shot the heck out of them with milsurp ammo, and sold them for a little profit later.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have an old Mosin-Nagant that I have modified and messed with. Finally got it shooting fairly decent a couple years ago.
IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3800.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have a few I'm currently messing with. I really like black powder era singleshots and the military guns are by far the most affordable.

Pair of Trapdoors, an 1873 carbine and an 1884 rifle

A Danish Rolling block in 11.7 Dane

50-70 New York Militia Rolling block

M96 Swedish Mauser

Currently trying to get my mitts on a Snider-Enfield or a good Argentine Roller in 43 Spanish.

Eric
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill,
The prices are creeping up on the Yugoslavian stuff. I bought several M57 Tokarev pistols a couple years ago for $150 w/out the mandated frame mounted safety lever and they are already selling for over $300. The Mausers are doing the same.
Military firearms account for most of my collection and shooting, though I don't have an 8mm right now, I've had several K98s. No match for a Springfield or even a Mosin with a Finn barrel and a good bore, but they are fun to shoot.

My point, I guess is jump on it if you can. A good condition military rifle with matching numbers, decent finish and smallish import mark is only going to appreciate and you can have fun while you're doing it. :D

Springfields and Winchesters. Need to work on some more pictures. The Sharps is a Uberti.
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had a 1953 Hungarian version of the M44 Mosin. It was a very straight shooter and in as issued condition with all numbers matching. I honestly regret selling it.
I just recently ordered a Remington 1903A3 dated 6-43 that is a sporter. I should get to pick it up today or tomorrow. My hopes are to make it my new deer hunting rifle. I also have a BRNO Model 98 Mauser in .270 that is sporterized as well. It is not a WWII era rifle it is one of the ones that CZ made back in the late 90s or early 2000. It is a tack driver.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks fellas. Still on the fence, but they can be a lot of fun to shoot. I would mostly run cast through it over the classic "C.E. Harris 13 grains of Red Dot" load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4k0oOl2DU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55m7Q0Av6Iw
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I have a 91/30 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R, still in battle configuration. Got it out of a crate that had been stored refurbished, little over 10 years ago. It shoots accurate enough with PPU 150gr SP to deer hunt with out to 200yds, maybe 250. I shot it a lot back then. I do know for my use those are the best open iron sights I've ever used, they're perfect. Actually just like my CZ 22 squirrel rifle that was my favorite for open iron sights on squirrels, only the Mosin front post is slightly thinner, easier for precise aiming.
I'd sure like to have the Finn version of this rifle, model I forget?
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

DD, the Finn Model 28 and 39 versions of the Mosin were well regarded. A 1943 Sako M39 I once owned was about my most accurate surplus rifle ever. Great barrel and the Finns reworked the Mosin triggers and sights.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

More on C.E. Harris classic milsurp loads, including the 16 grains of 2400 load:

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/cast- ... is.206784/
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have two military rifles that I use for Vintage Military Silhouette matches. For the scope sight discipline I have a rebuilt .30-06 Remington 03-A3 with a Malcolm 8x scope:

For the iron sight discipline I have a 1902 vintage 1898 Springfield with a replacement Criterion barrel in .30-40 Krag:

I shoot cast lead bullets in both. The '06 bullet is a Lyman 200 grain 311299. The Krag bullet is a 220 grain Lyman 311284. They do not reliably take down the 500 meter ram targets, but do fine on all the others.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have this one that was converted to 22lr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:02 pm DD, the Finn Model 28 and 39 versions of the Mosin were well regarded. A 1943 Sako M39 I once owned was about my most accurate surplus rifle ever. Great barrel and the Finns reworked the Mosin triggers and sights.
I was thinking Mod 39 but couldn't remember, but I've never heard anything but praise about those rifles. I'd known for years of Sako, but never had one. One thing I know for sure, the Finns are 2nd to nobody in gun making, and a way of life built around their guns! They're still much like Americans, at least the America we still know, live, and believe in! And I've posted few threads about my Tikka M65 I got 3 years ago in 30-06. I'm not kidding, I wouldn't trade it for a pre 64 Mod 70! I'm not just talking accuracy, which it is, but every detail of the rifle, is quality built! It's an original Tikka, before Sako acquired them made in 1975.
But, yes I know the Finn Nagants are great!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Shasta, nice rifles, and Barbarossa-same!
DD: There is a fellow in either Alabama or Mississippi named Doug Bowser who wrote a wonderful book, "Rifles of the White Death" about the Finns and their Mosin variants. Highly recommended!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've got 4 but they have been completely reworked, K98 is the first rifle I did in school, it's now a 338 WM. Next was a Mexican ( small ring )Mauser in 257 AI. Then another Mexican that is still a 7x57 and lastly an Argentine that I converted to 375 H&H. Made a 4 round box mag, opened it up some in the magwell cutout. I need to find a load for it but darnit it's not fun to shoot ! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gracious Will! A .375 on a 1909? Well, that action is certainly up to it. I confess I have lost interest in .458s. .375s and .338s as I have grown old and frail! :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah me too but I got em now.
When I was old enough to start buying my own guns a good friend advised me to start with 1 caliber and then go up and down in caliber each time you buy and eventually you'll have em all. So I go from 17 Remington up to 450 Bushmaster.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, this reminds me just how desperately we need a Sage update. :lol:
Can't say how much I miss a warm doggie curled up next to me on top of the sheets, snoring and having night gas. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:39 pm Bill,
The prices are creeping up on the Yugoslavian stuff. I bought several M57 Tokarev pistols a couple years ago for $150 w/out the mandated frame mounted safety lever and they are already selling for over $300. The Mausers are doing the same.
Military firearms account for most of my collection and shooting, though I don't have an 8mm right now, I've had several K98s. No match for a Springfield or even a Mosin with a Finn barrel and a good bore, but they are fun to shoot.

My point, I guess is jump on it if you can. A good condition military rifle with matching numbers, decent finish and smallish import mark is only going to appreciate and you can have fun while you're doing it. :D

Springfields and Winchesters. Need to work on some more pictures. The Sharps is a Uberti.
jb 8)
I go back one further than Jason with a 1766 Charelville reproduction by Pedersoli. But I am missing the 1917!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had five Swedish Mausers and they all did well with handloads , I’m sure if they’d had scopes it woulda been better but it is what it is . I have the Arisaka my grandfather brought back , I have a Mannlicher restocked 98 my father got back in the 50’s and I have a pair of M1 Carbines my pop and grandpop got thru the NRA very shortly after I arrived in this world . Think they paid $12.50 plus $2.50 shipping for each gun in 62 or 63 . I still have the reciept etc for both guns they came from the Tobyhanna Military Depot in of all places Tobyhanna PA . In the first few years of the 21st century I hunted state land right beside the Tobyhanna Military Depot . FWIW my grandpop used his Carbine with hardballs as his Turkey gun , he killed quite a few Turkey with that gun . Never knew of him missing one loosing one or shooting more than one time at a bird . But he never got in a hurry when it came to killing something .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:56 pm Gracious Will! A .375 on a 1909? Well, that action is certainly up to it. I confess I have lost interest in .458s. .375s and .338s as I have grown old and frail! :lol:
I know what you mean I got rid of the 458 the 416’s the 375’s and all of the 45-70 / 444 levers . I do have a Ruger #3 in 444 that I’ve not fired in three or four years that may hit the block in a few weeks . My most recoil rifles anymore are the 26 Nosler , 30-06 and the 8x57/8x56 MS . I seem to find myself reaching for the 260 , 6.5x54 MS and 7x57 most times now . Now let’s talk shotguns I still mess with my 8 gauge and shoot all the 8 gauge sporting events . I’m hung up on shooting all the 10 gauge sporting events so I certainly can’t say I’ve backed off on the shotgun aspect of recoil . New Years Eve day I patterned my 10 gauge hammer gun that has the extra set of Belgian made fluid steel barrels with the 3 1/2” chambers , tried Federal factory slugs and buckshot . They were a bit stout !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my only milsurp is an 1895 Chilean Mauser in 7X57. matching numbers except the bayonet. My Mom was the last one to shoot it, some time ago. It's better-made than some current rifles I see. Now days I like arms that weigh about what the Bear Super Kodiak weighs!
:lol: grizz
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:48 pm

I go back one further than Jason with a 1766 Charelville reproduction by Pedersoli. But I am missing the 1917!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mine is a converted 1842 Harpers Ferry. My dad gave it to me when I was about 13 and had gotten into Civil War history.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have two, a M-1 and 1903A3, both .30-06.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

O3A3 and Garand both in 06
Edit: forgot M1 carbine and a Springfield M2 22
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have a few that I am fond of. I have let friends talk me out of my M1 Grands, and some other items I bought over the years.
MY M-21
Arch's M21.jpg
MY Belgian FN-49
Arch's FN49.jpg
I have a few Enfields
#4MK2.jpg
An Enfield I use as an ATV Gun.
Enfield 003.jpg
I guess you could call my MP-5s and Swedish K surplus guns
It is not the critic who counts
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I passed on the Yugo 48 as it was in far from pristine condition. But I do have a minty Argentine Model 1891, manufactured by DWM in 1900. Went ahead and ordered a Model 1907 sling for it, along with dies, brass bullets and the Lee 312-185-1R mold.
Boy you guys have some nice rifles! Paladin, your FN-49 reminds me a bit of the French 49/56 I used to own. Great rifle.
These old Mausers were so well made that they can put modern stuff to shame. Also just have to love all the proof and other marks -- such as the clasped hands on the sight.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya know Bill ALL the other turn bolts are copies of the Mauser, they can't be beat... well there are a lot that are beat out there.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

While Mausers have an excellent reputation etc etc I’ve never had one in my hands that didn’t have a sloppy bolt when it was all the way rearward . Recently I had a pair of custom Mauser actioned heavy rifles built by Rigby one in 375 H&H and the other in 416 Rigby . Both of them had sloppy bolts . My pet peeve is minute to say the least but it’s something that’s always bothered me . The first 6.5-06 I owned was built on a 98 action and shot tiny groups but I sold it and built another on a 700 action that also shoots tiny groups but the bolt flop isn’t there .
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:41 pm While Mausers have an excellent reputation etc etc I’ve never had one in my hands that didn’t have a sloppy bolt when it was all the way rearward . Recently I had a pair of custom Mauser actioned heavy rifles built by Rigby one in 375 H&H and the other in 416 Rigby . Both of them had sloppy bolts . My pet peeve is minute to say the least but it’s something that’s always bothered me . The first 6.5-06 I owned was built on a 98 action and shot tiny groups but I sold it and built another on a 700 action that also shoots tiny groups but the bolt flop isn’t there .
@6pt-sika - I get not liking the sloppy open bolt in a 98, but it also enhances reliability (as with an old “battle rattle” 1911 or every AK on the planet). I love the Rem 700 action for some applications, but I don’t own one today… I do own about a dozen K98s, a couple of M48s and a Win 70… all are 98 actions. Just love ‘em.

To the OP’s original post… heck yes! K98s and M48s per above, plus SMLEs, Garands, 03A3s and SKS’s. Dunno if military-derived counts, but if so then add an 80s M1A and a similarly aged semi-auto Uzi.

mos
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

1903-A3 and M1 Garand. They have proven themselves over a million times…

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Guessing there is no shortage of elk venison at Shrapnel's house! 8)
The Model 1907 sling arrived from Creedmoor Sports and I hope to get the Model 1891 to the range before too long. In my eyes, the old Mausers are handsome rifles.

91B40
Levergunner

Post by 91B40 »

M1 Garand, CMP .308 version. Also had a Venezuelan FN Mauser 24/30 in 7 X 57. It is the short barrel cavalry carbine and will shoot 1 inch groups all day at 100 yds. My son got it away from me and uses it for a pig gun.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Had a 71/84 in 11 mm .Hard to find ammo and I did not want to add it to my list of must load for. Last ammo I found was CIL Canada made, back in 1981 at a gun show and it was 45 $$ then. Since it was given to me I sold it to a collector along with the ammo 17loaded rds and 3 empty cases I fired in the gun.Shot well enough for me to take for whitetails.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I also have this 1952 Belgian navy Mauser in 22lr that’s a fun plinking gun
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

308: I have had Mauser Models 71 and 71/84 and liked the earlier single shot the best. In good condition, they are great fun to shoot and Lee makes affordable dies.