Setting the record straight - Elmer Keith's blown .45

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Setting the record straight - Elmer Keith's blown .45

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Interesting. The only one of his blow-ups that has stuck with me was the one involving the 300-grain .45-90 bullets blowing off the loading gate and cutting his finger.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome Jim. Thank You. I re-member Keith writing about His Brother passing away during the influenza epidemic of 1918-19. could that have been the Brother in the picture?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Keith had a habit of pushing firearms to their limits, and on more than one occasion well beyond. Some of the stuff he did still makes me wonder? I can't imagine how he even seated a .458" bullet in a .45 Colt case and still got it to chamber?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:12 pm Keith had a habit of pushing firearms to their limits, and on more than one occasion well beyond. Some of the stuff he did still makes me wonder? I can't imagine how he even seated a .458" bullet in a .45 Colt case and still got it to chamber?
In Sixguns Keith wrote about sizing that bullet down in order to use it in his Colt.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have a picture somewhere of the SBH John Gallagher blew up while we were is school. It was a maximum frame, the cylinder was bored out to take a .348 cut down to 1³/⁴" with a 3 or 400 grain .458 bullet. Couldn't tell you what powder it was other than not BLACK.
I didn't see it blow but I was probably one of the closest to the test fire chamber and he was in minor shock.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

Post by Eddie Southgate »

.45colt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:12 pm Awesome Jim. Thank You. I re-member Keith writing about His Brother passing away during the influenza epidemic of 1918-19. could that have been the Brother in the picture?
His daughter Druzilla died of Influenza in 1948 while Elmer was just about dead himself. His brother Francis died of pneumonia in 1922 during the Influenza epidemic. Here is his death Certificate. Francis was Forrest and Linnie's youngest child. Their kids were Elmer , Silas and Francis , in that order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

.45colt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:12 pm Awesome Jim. Thank You. I re-member Keith writing about His Brother passing away during the influenza epidemic of 1918-19. could that have been the Brother in the picture?
That is Silas or Sy as he was called. He was the middle brother and lived till 1987.
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

Eddie Southgate wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:30 pm
His daughter Druzilla died of Epilepsy and Influenza in 1948 while Elmer was just about dead himself. His brother Francis died of pneumonia in 1922 during the Influenza epidemic. Here is his death Certificate. Francis was Forrest and Linnie's youngest child. Their kids were Elmer , Silas and Francis , in that order.