A lot of Bull

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A lot of Bull

Post by ollogger »

JOG Ive been more scared of women than any charging bull or bear :lol:

Funny i was just thinking of that dang bull as i was cleaning my Ruger Akaskan 454
wow that was awhile back but still pretty vivid in the memory!

Brad
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

ollogger wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:36 pm JOG Ive been more scared of women than any charging bull or bear :lol:

Funny i was just thinking of that dang bull as i was cleaning my Ruger Akaskan 454
wow that was awhile back but still pretty vivid in the memory!

Brad
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Wow....thats some Wyoming as F stuff right there! In Sept, I walked into some cows and bulls free ranging on a heavily wooded mountainside while elk hunting. One bull wasn't happy. I had my 45-70 with me. He started coming uphill to me but suddenly turned about 50' away!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

A couple years ago a bunch of stock got into the gun club property and were tearing up the place in the middle of the night. The groundskeeper lives there and went out to run them off. One of the heifers got him down and did a tap dance routine on him. Laid him up for months and he's still not back to 100%. Rough stock is rough stock, bull, cow or whatever.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:35 pm .45 Colt will shoot a big hole right through a bovine creature.
That is true Scott. I have done it myself. Last one I shot I used my 1st Generation Colt with Lyman #454190 and a full load of black powder. Instant drop and complete penetration of the skull, top to bottom.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Glad to hear you're ok! Charging angry women truly never scared me too much!
I could sprint pretty fast, especially when I was young!
Although I had a long legged 17-year-old African American girl charge me when I was 13 or so!
I just barely beat her in the 440! Her brother and I had had a donnybrook.
He wanted my lunch money, so I popped him in the face.
Johnny
Last edited by JOG on Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Didn't Elmer brain a charging bull with the old conical flat-point original load in .45 Colt? Where's my copy of "Hell, I was There"?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Glad you are ok. I read an interesting article the other day of a guy that had a neighbor that was alway very slow to remove his livestock once he told them they were on his place. He decided to run them into his on squeeze chute and decorated the cattle by using bleach and putting different WORDS and SYMBOLS into the hair using bleach. Seems it fixed the neighbor taking so long to remove his livestock.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

horsesoldier03 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:45 am Glad you are ok. I read an interesting article the other day of a guy that had a neighbor that was alway very slow to remove his livestock once he told them they were on his place. He decided to run them into his on squeeze chute and decorated the cattle by using bleach and putting different WORDS and SYMBOLS into the hair using bleach. Seems it fixed the neighbor taking so long to remove his livestock.
That is funny!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Best way to stop a charging woman is to take away her credit card. Sound like bull?
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 pm Sounds like a 4" 29 S&W ought to be about your minimum if that is a future possibility.
them 29's is a nasty gun i had one, but in the dirty harry setup, very accurate guns
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Pitchy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 pm That was too close for comfort, glad all ended well.
how u enjoying the cold snap, pitchy?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Walt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:28 pm Best way to stop a charging woman is to take away her credit card.
Yeah, you're definitely going to need a BIGGER gun for that task!!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Walt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:28 pm Best way to stop a charging woman is to take away her credit card. Sound like bull?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
----- Doug
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Having been raised on a farm where we had plenty of horses and cattle and from age 12 to my mid 20's having the duty to take care of the livestock, I have had the unfortunate opportunity to have like experiences. I never left the house for the barn (from age 17) without my Smith & Wesson 44 magnum. I also kept a Remington 700 in .308 Winchester locked in the tack room in the barn. My guess is we would have been dressing a bull as one staring me down would have received a 250 grain hard cast between the eyes as he charged. Then another behind the ear after he past. My guess is with my experience with fence breakers, I would have walked out to start with the .308.
I am glad you are ok. At my age of 65, I do not run fast and my dodging ability is limited, however, my eyes and trigger finger work just fine.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:01 pm Didn't Elmer brain a charging bull with the old conical flat-point original load in .45 Colt? Where's my copy of "Hell, I was There"?
I believe it was the UMC purple box ammo loaded with 40 grs of black powder.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

.45 Colt makes sense, in the places I am likely to be walking-about. At age 62, and becoming less fleet of foot, feral dogs are the major four-legged threat, and though the local feral hogs usually run, immediately, a home health care nurse was brutally killed by one or more feral hogs, in Chambers County, one county to our east, a few years ago, in her clients’ residential driveway. One of my mother’s properties, here in Harris County, where I lived during my teen years, has had loose cattle on it, from time to time, and on another of her properties, where she usually stays, a feral hog, being pursued by feral dogs, crashed through the wall of her garage. One of the largest feral hogs ever weighed, was shot in the adjacent county to the north, Montgomery County, near where my wife’s family has two rural parcels of land. (Actually, in Montgomery County, poachers, arsonists, and trespassers have been the greater perceived threats, making one’s long gun more important than one’s handgun. Empty cases, on the ground, have usually been 7.62x39.)

.45 Colt is versatile, to handle a wide spectrum of threats. Before I understood and accepted that my index fingers cannot quite reach an N-Frame trigger, for best double-action work, while using a best hold, on the grip, I liked the .44 and then .41 Magnums. When I did come to understand the importance of holding with a best grip, I reckoned that if I have to cock the hammer, anyway, to bring the trigger within reach of my index finger, it made sense to transition to single-action sixguns, for the times I wanted to shoot big bore revolver cartridges. Since the post-WW2 “transition” hammers, which I like, the more-modern S&W hammers are not ideal for me to thumb-cock. Even the “transition” hammers work best only with my more-mobile left thumb. So, I have been accumulating single-action sixguns, .45 Colt, since the mid-Nineties.

To cite the source, regarding the feral hog death: https://abc13.com/christine-rollins-cha ... s/5716849/
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:41 am
ollogger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 pm At 62 running was not a option :lol: yes most of the time when after a bull I took a 12 gauge but never had no trouble
Jack said it right when you get older you may get complacent, I knew better than that!!
the bull just brushed me enough to leave behind the blood & hair on my jacket, with a 5 shooter I didn't want to waste ammo I thought if he got me down I may be able to put one in his eye, after this I may just get used to carrying my ruger in 45 colt
I got charged by a over sized bear in Wis. years ago in back of my house & I had no gun with me, that lesson stuck with me for years, may be I will consider always carry a big dang gun!!!

ollogger
Pass on by the 45 Colt and maybe the 44 MAG step up to the plate with a 480 Ruger 475 Linebaugh or 50 S&W and maybe in a pinch the 460 S&W . Just kidding I am sure a 45 Colt with a nice hard cast 250+ grain bullet juiced a bit would do the trick . Although I must profess I am a more a 44 MAG person .
If a Ruger level .45 colt won't do it I doubt the .44 mag or either of the others would make much difference.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:35 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:41 am
ollogger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 pm At 62 running was not a option :lol: yes most of the time when after a bull I took a 12 gauge but never had no trouble
Jack said it right when you get older you may get complacent, I knew better than that!!
the bull just brushed me enough to leave behind the blood & hair on my jacket, with a 5 shooter I didn't want to waste ammo I thought if he got me down I may be able to put one in his eye, after this I may just get used to carrying my ruger in 45 colt
I got charged by a over sized bear in Wis. years ago in back of my house & I had no gun with me, that lesson stuck with me for years, may be I will consider always carry a big dang gun!!!

ollogger
Pass on by the 45 Colt and maybe the 44 MAG step up to the plate with a 480 Ruger 475 Linebaugh or 50 S&W and maybe in a pinch the 460 S&W . Just kidding I am sure a 45 Colt with a nice hard cast 250+ grain bullet juiced a bit would do the trick . Although I must profess I am a more a 44 MAG person .
If a Ruger level .45 colt won't do it I doubt the .44 mag or either of the others would make much difference.
Well seven years after I made that post my own options any longer are 357 or 45 ACP . But I still like a 44 MAG a lot more than a 45 Colt .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !