Hawes Western Marshal .45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Hawes Western Marshal .45 Colt

Post by Deaf Smith »

Well I got one to 'rehab'... $162 it cost me.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=37603

Didn't work but after taking it apart all I see that I need is a ejector rod thumb piece that is broke off and a cylinder Base Pin Catch Assembly.

So the question is... will a Colt or Cimirron or such cylinder Base Pin Catch Assembly work with the old Hawes? Same for the ejector rod? Any make of current SAA work with the old Hawes six shooters?

Working on the sixshooter now.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=37604

download/file.php?mode=view&id=37605

Thanks for any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Hawes Western Marshal .45 Colt

Post by JimT »

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The EAA Bounty Hunter is essentially the Western Marshal with a transfer bar and a paint job.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/eaas-b ... n-45-colt/
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

Thanks both of you!

Sent email to both EAA and Gunparts guy.

I now have the gun disassembled with exception of three screws (they won't budge!) Screw loosener in them now and I'll let it soak for a few days.

Just tons of black drudge in that gun! Used a Q tip to get lots of it out but I intend to thoroughly clean it before reassembly. Fortunately YouTube has good videos on reassembling an SAA.

I hope to make it run 100%. Now I do have a Redhawk in .45 Colt and Ruger Vaquero (old model) in .45 Colt) so I'll have to keep the reloads separate so I don't kaboom the old Hawes!

Thanks again. I'll post photos when I have it up and running (and shooting!)
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

If it is the size of a Bounty Hunter, it should be pretty stout.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have one in .357
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Made by J.P. Sauer. They were also chambered in .44 magnum.
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

Ha ha.. the spring that powered the cylinder bolt was fractured.. the spring hand on that side fell off when I unscrewed it. Yes I got it to unscrew after lots of penetrating oil!

Now that I understand the EAA Bounty Hunter is just a Hawes with a transfer bar safety. I'll see if they still make BH parts! If not, I'll make my own spring!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Deaf Smith wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:46 pm Ha ha.. the spring that powered the cylinder bolt was fractured.. the spring hand on that side fell off when I unscrewed it. Yes I got it to unscrew after lots of penetrating oil!

Now that I understand the EAA Bounty Hunter is just a Hawes with a transfer bar safety. I'll see if they still make BH parts! If not, I'll make my own spring!
Are you sure the spring for the Uberti Colt copies is not the same? We had a number of the Hawes pistols back in the 1970's so my memory is a bit fuzzy .. but I seem to recall the trigger/bolt spring was the same. But my memory is hazy as I said. I would think one of these would fit ...

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalogsea ... lt+spring+
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

Got one from local gun shop.. fit perfect!! Now I have the firing pin out and I cleaned it up... strangely having hard time getting it to even go in (but then I had to use a punch to get the pin out once I got the bushing off.) I suspect the pin is oversized and needs just a bit of buffering (put the pin in a dremel tool and using a stone slim it down a tiny bit.)

Tomorrow I'll do that.

I did reassemble and it locks and cocks very well. Just get the firing pin fixed and try it out. I can order an ejector rod and a full cylinder latch and then I'll have it up 100% good to go.

One step at a time!!
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

UPDATE!!!!

Now the firing pin was to thick for either the frame OR the bushing... but... I figured I'd thin it down with a stone and dremel tool.
Hawes 9.jpg
Now notice the S&W center pin besides the firing ping for the Hawes... kind of looks like they are alike except for length, right?

I suspect someone previously tried to make a new firing pin for the Hawes out of one... but didn't thin it enough to fit!!

So I did that and... VOLA!!
Hawes 10.jpg
Fits perfectly. I screwed it in and then using a pencil down the barrel 'fired' the gun and the pencil flew up almost to the ceiling.. hence plenty of power to pop a primer.

Now to shorten the screw you see there in the photo.. that is next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nice! You are coming right along. Won't be long and it will be making a joyful noise!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Deaf Smith, you were successful using penetrating oil to loosen those screws. If you had suspected that Loctite had been used on those screws you could have also used heat to break them loose. A pencil type soldering iron touching the screw head works well and since both blue and red Loctite deteriorate at around 300° it wouldn't have taken long. Additionally, a sharp rap on the screwdriver with a small hammer also helps.
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

Ok, screw is DONE... and if I had been paid $15 an hr to do it that would be a $30 screw!!
Hawes 12.jpg
I reblued it and now I'll let it set a while with oil on it.. it is not tight in the hole (will be flush when I tighten it) but then I won't do that till I get a new ejector rod and cylinder pin latch.
Hawes 11.jpg
At an LGS I saw a few Ruger ejector rods.. I'll take the gun there and see if I can convince one of 'em to work. That would leave the latch... And I might have a line on one now.

Slow but sure!!!
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

VTI Gun Parts could be you friend for needed replica parts. It doesn't hurt to check.
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

Ok, got a ejector rod (I think Ruger.) Same length but bit bigger in the area that goes down the tube. I thinned that and it fits perfectly. Reblued it to.

Now a question.. Is the Hawes .45 Colt .454 or .451?

I guess I could slug the barrel but if someone knows.. that would make my reloading chores easier. I have both .451 and .454 slugs!
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

I see they made a Hawes Montana Marshal in .45 Colt with a .45 ACP cylinder... so maybe .451!
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

Man was it COLD... Sunny but very very cold here in Texas (shot Friday.)

Ok, shot my Hawes..

First Magtech 250s... and I was NOT impressed... 750 fps stuff...
Group Magtec.jpg
Yes that is six shots at 15 yards, standing firing two handed. Bit of a 6 o'clock hold.

More or less ok. Then I had three Winchesters.. Lead 250 grain stuff to.. 750 fps stuff.
Group Winchester.jpg
WOW!! Same 15 yards. I don't know what they use but I sure like that group!

Yes still at least 3 inches low.

So to raise the impact I'll just use my 265gr LBT .454 slugs and a nice amount of 2400. Keep it inside the low range of pressure. Hopefully maybe 850 fps.

Nosler shows for 'cowboy replicas' 250gr at 850 with 13.8 grains (no where near max to boot!) Just might try that.

https://www.nosler.com/45-colt-single-a ... y-replicas

Ordered a new cylinder pin latch.. once that is done and a load that matches the sights is made... then the project is finto!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

That is coming along nicely.

Years ago my Dad had Hawes in .357 and 44 Magnum. They were all accurate and held up well. I think the worst trouble he had was the firing pin screw loosening from time to time. However, like most single actions, the ejector rod housing screw tends to loosen and sometimes the grip frame screws. A little fingernail polish or some such will usually take care of the issue.
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

Jim,

Once I get a load to work then if it shoots a bit to one side I'll, with masking tape to protect the top strap, carefully file the rear sight to correct for windage.

Then blue locktite every screw!! The key is.. take my time and think it through!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Between myself and my shooting partner we have enough fixed sight revolvers that I bought a barrel vise from Midway. I think it was less than $100 and I've used it frequently. John Taffin wrote that he mounted a barrel vise to the receiver hitch on his truck so he can make changes and adjust right on the spot.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Good job getting an old gun shooting again