350 legend in a revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

350 legend in a revolver

Post by 4t5 »

Why would this not experience the flame cutting that the 357 maximum did ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02b7Jmxw80
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 350 legend in a revolver

Post by Nath »

Didn't they start to fit a titanium plate to stop the flame cutting but it was to late, the novelty wore off??
Maybe these have such fitted from the get go ??
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Interesting question. Surely it has to do with improved metallurgy?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The flame cutting was a problem created by people who did not understand what was going on and how it worked. It was a self-limiting issue that could only go so far. It was due for the most part because too light of bullets (158 gr.) were being pushed with too much slow-burning powder. And because the cutting increased the area where the gas could go, after it cut a ways the area was too great for the volume of gas to cut any further.

But because most did not understand how these things work, it resulted in enough bad press that it basically killed the Maximum.
The erosion by high pressure gas can happen with any high-intensity cartridge in a revolver. But it is self-limiting.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Spot on!!! People were trying to see how fast they could push bullets, even 125's, with the slow burning powders and as typical of the press, they hyped the flame cutting.

Think I remember reading about 5000 Maxi frames being destroyed by Ruger because of the bad press and also that if you return a Maxi to Ruger for service, they will keep it and not return it to you.

Its a great cartridge as far as I am concerned. I used a Dan Wesson 357 supermag in IHMSA for awhile, but wanted more horsepower and went to the 445 SM. Have a Ruger #1 in 357 Max. (rechambered 357 mag gun) that performs well.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Weren't some of the custom gunsmiths like Linebaugh and Huntington getting those extended frames directly from Pinetree Casting rather than going through Ruger?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:51 am The flame cutting was a problem created by people who did not understand what was going on and how it worked. It was a self-limiting issue that could only go so far. It was due for the most part because too light of bullets (158 gr.) were being pushed with too much slow-burning powder. And because the cutting increased the area where the gas could go, after it cut a ways the area was too great for the volume of gas to cut any further.

But because most did not understand how these things work, it resulted in enough bad press that it basically killed the Maximum.
The erosion by high pressure gas can happen with any high-intensity cartridge in a revolver. But it is self-limiting.
Jim and Rockrat to the rescue. I owned a 7.5 version but held onto the 10” Max. Used the big 10” 🤪 for silhouette at the club and lots of informal long range shooting. Logged around 900 rounds, most all of it full loads with the 180 Hornady, some 158 jkd.and the flame cutting started then stopped, no different than any other high pressure revolver round.

Off of a rest I can hit the 300 meter silhouette pig with regularity.—-006

It’s one of the last revolvers I’ll ever sell….unless of course, big bucks are offered.

Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks Jack. I remember when that fiasco began. There were a few intelligent voices but almost no one paid any attention to them.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks for the enlightenment gents 😎
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Ditto !
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I remember also Jim…….I personally never cared to have one……..until it was announced that they were discontinued. That’s when the money lightbulb went on….similar to the Smith 22 Jet……no one wanted one but by the time I got into the game, collector prices were in effect. So I bought the first 2 Max’s I found for sale..both NIB for a little over 3.

Funny how when something is unpopular it suddenly goes into big money mode after it’s discontinued.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I never felt the need for one either. But I applauded the idea.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if the 357 Max was a victim of bad publicity. Never knew anyone who had one, but it sounds as if the bad reputation is not deserved.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:51 am The flame cutting was a problem created by people who did not understand what was going on and how it worked. It was a self-limiting issue that could only go so far. It was due for the most part because too light of bullets (158 gr.) were being pushed with too much slow-burning powder. And because the cutting increased the area where the gas could go, after it cut a ways the area was too great for the volume of gas to cut any further.

I went to order one and the shop owner talked me out of it. I should have kept listening to fellow shooters.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At the Dallas Safari Club show last Friday, I was told at the Freedom Arms booth that shooting a .38 Special in a .357 Mag chamber would cause rust in the chamber and ruin the cylinder. Has anyone on here ever experienced that?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It won't if you clean them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

piller wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:03 pm At the Dallas Safari Club show last Friday, I was told at the Freedom Arms booth that shooting a .38 Special in a .357 Mag chamber would cause rust in the chamber and ruin the cylinder. Has anyone on here ever experienced that?
If 38s in a 357 chamber would cause rust then a 357 would also cause rust or any other cartridge in any chamber would cause rust. Water causes rust through oxidation. Who ever said that is dead wrong.
However if you shoot a bunch of 38s a crud ring could develop preventing 357 to chamber. Said crud ring could lead to rust if neglected. Same with 44 spec and mags. Just goes to prove , take everything with a grain of salt when listening to arm chair commandos.
Heck thousands if not millions of 38s have gone down range in 357 guns for decades and im sure no one here has found rust in a Colt,Ruger, Smith &Wesson or anything else that hasn't been neglected.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

There were those who warned that shooting .45 Colt brass in the 454 Casull would ruin the cylinder or wreck the gun in other ways. In the mid-80's 454 brass was unobtainable and Paco and I shot thousands of rounds of HEAVY .45 Colts through our Casulls without any damage. Like Gunny said, if you clean the gun it won't cause a problem. Just like shooting .22 Shorts in a Long Rifle chamber.

To clean out the carbon deposits in the chambers I take a fired case of the caliber the gun is chambered for, bell-mouth the end of the case, then sharpen the edges of the case mouth, and push it into the chambers. Sometimes I have to stop after 2 or 3 chambers and open the case mouth a bit more. But you can make a scraper to remove a lot of the carbon buildup if you are shooting a lot of ammo. I have done this on .357's after firing hundreds of .38 Specials ... on the 454 after using .45 Colt brass. Then brass brush. That usually does it.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I don’t know if the short cartridges will ruin your chamber trope come from corrosive priming days or what, but I haven’t found it to be a problem in 45 Colt, 44 mag, 357 mag, or 22 LR. I don’t necessarily clean chambers every time and when I do, it’s nothing particularly special. It’s an old wives tale with modern ammunition IMO. Freedom Arms seems to discourage the practice because of the precise way they finish their chambers. I do not really understand why though. They recommend auxiliary cylinders instead.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

You'd be hard-pressed to get rust in any Freedom Arms guns.