M1A front stock hole ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

M1A front stock hole ...

Post by AJMD429 »

I realized that when I was young and stupid ( as opposed to old and stupid like I am now), I used that convenient little vent hole in my Springfield M1A to install a sling swivel.

I've never had an issue with the excess pressure going someplace else or anything, but I'm curious to know if there is any reason I should undo that.

I hadn't realized what that hole was for, until my cousin came over and was shooting my Springfield scout squad version which had the hole exposed, and it was in contact with my sandbag, and blew a hole in it that I realized there was a fair amount of gas coming out of that hole.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: M1A front stock hole ...

Post by Paladin »

Too Funny, The gas and Carbon will just vent around the barrel under the front handguards leaving carbon and unburnt powder. Have you ever looked there?
It is not the critic who counts
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: M1A front stock hole ...

Post by jeepnik »

I’d have to dig out the manual that came with my Scout Squad but I think there is a warning about not plugging the vent. However, there are so many warnings it’s not hard to miss one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad