gold dots residue after water

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

gold dots residue after water

Post by mickbr »

I pulled these out of some containers about a week later we had water in the basement. Only just got to them today. Several hundred 44 gold dot projectiles, the short barrel version meant for 44 sp.

Now they are dried I notice some lead colored residue around the HP of the bullet. I thought bullets were pretty much waterproof. Any idea if this would have changed any of the performance of the bullet?

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: gold dots residue after water

Post by Ray »

Just a spritz of ballistol water mix 1/7 to as weak as 1/10 will clean those. Generic mil-spec. c.l.p. will do almost as well. Even wd-40......

You've got lead oxides and calcium carbonate (lime/marble) in the whites and a little copper verdigris so wash hands well.

I bought several hundred hornady .44s from the late mm wright and they were white and green just from reloading room or long storage dankness (the boxes were soft from dampness). I clean them as I needed as I load them.
m.A.g.a. !
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

thanks, all cleaned. probably over-reacted here, the amount of material had me worried some other contaminant had crept in. Rough week sorting out this basement
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Run them thru your vibrstion tumbler with some media. Cleans them right up
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Dipping bullets in curari eh? :D
Rumble.com/ hickock45
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

From the title of the original post I thought you were panning and got gold dots. We always called it "dust" but hey, people can call it what they wish. :oops:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just remember that when Matt does that it’s an oxide or other salt of the lead which means it’s no longer metallic lead and can be absorbed and would be quite toxic..
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

JimT wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:51 pm From the title of the original post I thought you were panning and got gold dots. We always called it "dust" but hey, people can call it what they wish. :oops:
:D
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:58 pm .
Just remember that when Matt does that it’s an oxide or other salt of the lead which means it’s no longer metallic lead and can be absorbed and would be quite toxic..
Thanks Doc I thought so and put gloves on.