a little shottie for a change up

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

a little shottie for a change up

Post by Grizz »

Saw a mention of H&R break action single shots, any fans here?
002_.jpeg
Ranger wonders what's in the luggage.
004.jpeg
Toys! I mean TOOLS!

I have the fore stock set up so I don't have to unscrew it, it can slide off of the bolt when the action is open. I shortened the barrel to the legal length and the three pieces fit in the tool bag, plus other incidentals.

I've been thinking about getting some brass hulls. They would be fun to play with. NOT as much fun as a 50 cal roller deer gun, BUT almost.

Does anyone use brass shot shells? I could load them on field trips. Try some black powder. Shoot 56 cal sabots. Make some fireworks. Try rock salt on bugs. Stuff like that. Or just plink with the bird shot. I might try to put some kind of sights on it, but there's not enough metal to dovetail them. Any thoughts?

grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: a little shottie for a change up

Post by Ray »

There used to be clamp-on front and rear sights advertised in the gun glossies classifieds but I don't see them anymore.

There is supposed to be a way to launch a modified arrow from a 12 ga. with repeatable 25 yd. accuracy.

You can even convert to a muzzleloader of sorts.....

https://www.gunadapters.com/209-muzzle- ... -adapters/

Just don't wander down the slippery and disappointing slope of chamber adapter(s) addiction. One fellow levergunner here ordered one at my recommendation and was not at all impressed with the accuracy. You have to lower your expectations and think in terms of successive one-shot groups. What looks like an 8 to 10 inch conglomerate is never more than 2 to 3 inches from point of aim for each shot.

In the end, after spending many $$$$ on adapters in four different gauges on the outside and at least a dozen different calibers/chamberings (.32 acp up to .50 m.l.) on the inside......from 3" to 24" in length, I determined that there is nothing they will do at 40 paces that a conventional common high-brass load of #4s won't do better.
m.A.g.a. !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I acquired an Ithaca single shot lever shotgun that someone in the past lopped off the barrel at about 20" , the whole gun was a rusty mess when I got it. I cleaned it up without going nuts and sprayed it black, truoil on the wood.
The barrel isn't thick enough to put choke tubes in. I'm thinking of a set of irons and silver soldering them on and then develop a slug load for it.
For the life of me I can't remember the model number but each time I look at GPC they don't have any barrels.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Will the Ithaca is a model 66.. I love single barrel shotguns 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

A post front sight is easy enough to install. I just drilled a hole and threaded it for the post, used a fine thread and a screw with the head cut off. It was tight enough it never loosened, but you could silver-solder it if you think you need to. Worked fine for me for years.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The quick and dirty front sight is just a cut-off tack held in place by a small circle clamp. Laugh if you want, but these do work, homely as they are.
I am sorry the H&R/NEF Handis went away.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for the input guys. Front sight sounds easy. I might use JB-Weld to anchor a rear sight.
Here's the little 20 alongside the Assault Rifle for a comparison. A proper trapper size tool.
006.jpeg
:) grizz

P.S. that's the rifle I've been thinking of converting to a trapper size, but it's in too good condition to molest . . . . need a dirty substitute.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

That there is a "Handi" tool if I ever saw one! 8)

JBowen
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I like your shorty shottie!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes John , you are right about it being a 66.
I looked again at GPC, all they have are 410 barrels in stock.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have a 19-inch DB Fox in 12 Ga, one Stevens 410 Ga, and a Stevens 20 Ga for beak-open shotguns. I save them for teaching kids and women shotguns before starting them on a Rem 1100. I have a few SBSs from a 12-inch Rem 870 Witness Protection to a 14-inch Saiga 12 Ga set up for urban operations with two 12 firearms (Mossberg and Remington) that I don't need written permission to cross the state line with. The 12-inch Rem has a breacher standoff on the front. I have one box of Remington Brass 12 Ga left. All have been very handy over the years.
It is not the critic who counts
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

In the UK our minimum legal "shotgun" barrel length is 24" so this Cooey is not quite so handy.
IMG_20200804_191655.jpg
r
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I bought a 16 gauge in 1984 or so. Fall semester, I’d break it down into a duffel bag with my clothes and take it to the dorm. One night, we would drive to a friends parents place about a half hour away. They had about a hundred acres we could hunt and I’d leave the gun there and take it home when the semester was over. Doubt that I’d recommend a young person do that now though.

About ten years ago my local shop got a slightly used 20 gauge youth gun, NEF, I think. I snagged it for under a hundred dollars.

Now I’ve got my eyes open for a decent 12 gauge H&R or NEF.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BobM wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:48 pm
About ten years ago my local shop got a slightly used 20 gauge youth gun, NEF, I think. I snagged it for under a hundred dollars.

Now I’ve got my eyes open for a decent 12 gauge H&R or NEF.
I think this 20 was 99$, more than 15 years ago.
the 12Ga H&R had 2 different frames for a while. I forget the designation, but one of the frames was beefed up and could take big rifle rounds, the other frame was different, it could take smaller shotgun barrels. and maybe pistol caliber rifle barrels... someone will come along who has the details.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have several in 20 and in 12. I cut them at 20" because they pop open easier than the 16" and there is less issues with "Is is legal?" - hopefully. They are short enough they are handy in a vehicle.
shotgun.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

They are handy tools.

We lopped off a number of them for truck drivers but they were 10 ga. A 10 ga lopped off at 18.5 inches looks way too short
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:03 pm They are handy tools.

We lopped off a number of them for truck drivers but they were 10 ga. A 10 ga lopped off at 18.5 inches looks way too short
I'm losing my grip Scott. I don't know if I could hang onto a 10Ga. But I would try it. Once. :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:47 am I have several in 20 and in 12. I cut them at 20" because they pop open easier than the 16" and there is less issues with "Is is legal?" - hopefully. They are short enough they are handy in a vehicle.shotgun.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG
Wow. Yours look way better than mine. I used truck bed paint on the whole thing. Which is due for a redo. The wood looks good.

I shortened mine to fit in the bag or my knapsack without bulging anything. Nothing poking out when I check in to a hotel, or go to dinner, etc.

these have to be one of the most cost-effective tools ever made!

This Buffalo Classic can likely withstand any load I could concoct, but wouldn't like shooting nails . . .
01.jpeg
The fit and finish is good enough for me, and it groups the holes well. Per the other discussion I "think" the "H" prefix is the designation for the higher grade frame. And I think that the 12Ga H&R guns were sold with both frames. If this is incorrect pls let me know.
02.jpg
I do know that it was Stupid not buying every barrel they sold . . . these days they would have purchased a good truck . . .
grizz
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Yes. A 3 1/2 inch 10 ga buckshot round kicks a bit but it is amazing to see so many pellets going downrange.

I have one in 12 bore and it is a good walking around bird gun.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have this little TPS scout in 410/410 fun little bunny getter
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

barbarossa wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:21 pm I have this little TPS scout in 410/410 fun little bunny getter
That looks good. I used to have some kind of skeletonized single shot 410. That weightless thing seemed to have a definite attitude at the butt end. LOL
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The TPS is actually is pretty good recoil was.It s a neat little rig with a fibre optic sight and storage for shells in the butt.It s great for hunting in thick brush