HEAVYWEIGHT BULLETS - Part 2 - by John Linebaugh

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

HEAVYWEIGHT BULLETS - Part 2 - by John Linebaugh

Post by JimT »

(John Linebaugh sent me this series years ago for the old Sixgunner.Com website. It is still good information!)
Heavyweights 2a.JPG
heavyweights 2b.JPG
Most knowledgeable shooters know the foot-pounds of energy formula the industry uses to measure or compare bullet energy leaves a lot to be desired. First it just is not an accurate way to measure comparable bullet effect on critters; and second, critters can't read. A lot of shooters have switched over to the TAYLOR KNOCK-OUT formula for a much more accurate means of measuring bullet effect on game. The TAYLOR KNOCK-OUT FORMULA runs as follows:

Bullet Weight (in grains) X Caliber (in inches) X Velocity ÷ 7000 = Knock Out (KO)

For example a .30-06 rifle using a 180 gr. bullet at 2600 fps:

180 x .308 x 2600 = 144144 ÷ 7000 = 20.5 KO

By using the Taylor Formula on our energy comparisons of the .44 Magnum and the .45 Colt in the above tables we can get an idea of what caliber and capacity does for us.

Load #1 260 x .452 x 1458 ÷ 7000 = 24.4 KO average pressure - 30,600
Load #2 250 x .430 x 1528 ÷ 7000 = 23.4 KO average pressure - 39,650

A glance at the above table shows that the .44 Magnum and the .45 Colt are equal in the power department. But the pressure tables show quickly the advantage of caliber and capacity. While the KO's are nearly duplicate, the pressure difference is substantial. The .45 Colt with the standard weight slug shows a 4% advantage in KO over the .44 Magnum with its normal weight slug, but the .45 does it with 29% less chamber pressure. (It was also done in a 3" shorter pressure barrel)

With the 318/320 gr. slugs in both calibers the KO is nearly identical, but the .44 has to generate 46% more chamber pressure (again, in a 3" longer barrel) than the .45 just to break even. As the bullet weight goes up and out of balance per each caliber you will see this pressure/velocity ratio widen its gap until it is clear off the scale. It becomes clear pretty quickly that power, or energy, or KO or whichever you prefer to call it comes only with a price. I believe in getting by as cheap as possible in this area. But lets say you don't mind running high pressure, and you're still within the specs set by the powers that be for your particular gun/caliber. That is OK by me too. But if you really want to race, the big calibers have no competition. They can still deliver more usable power per unit of pressure than the "next size down" cartridge can dream of.

I once had a self-proclaimed "expert" tell me has never been able to detect any difference in the .41 Mag, .44 Mag or the .45 Colt, all loaded to their full potential. My answer is that he has never done any long range shooting. This will quickly tell who gets there with the most steam left.

I feel the bigger calibers (to a point and depending upon the application) are better as long as obtaining components and reloading for them is practical. I feel for certain the .44 Magnum and the .45 Colt are the two finest calibers in the country today. With the number of good guns chambered for both and the availability of components, not much else is needed except for those special applications. Even then the field is covered with fine revolvers in .454 Casull, and the .475 and .500 revolvers. I wouldn't hesitate a second to choose a good .45 Colt for my only sixgun for the rest of my days. From rabbits to Cape Buffalo, it has proven its worth. And the thing I like about the Colt is this: It does it so easy.

The loads listed in the accompanying tables are safe in ALL RUGER single action revolvers. The .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk is approximately 85% as strong as the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44Magnum caliber. Industry specs on the .44 Magnum is 40,000 psi maximum, NOT TO EXCEED 43, 500 ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM. The industry will stand behind their guns to this MAXIMUM pressure in factory loads. ( Most companies will not honor warranties if handloads are used.)

Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and hold our loads to 85% of the 40,000 level they prefer. This still allows us to use up to 34,000 class loads which is a safe working pressure in the Ruger .45 Colt. It is as safe as the .44 Magnums 40,000 psi Maximum recommended level. I have shot hundreds of proof-type loads in the Rugers in .45 caliber, even going as far as purposely destroying some cylinders with overloads. We know just how strong they are. They will take 34,000 psi for two lifetimes with little care. At this pressure level you are working with about a 100% safety factor. Sure, they will stand a little more, but I don't really care. A .45 Colt with honest 30,000/34,000 psi loads "in the gun" have about a 35% advantage over the best .44 Magnum loaded accordingly.

I want to make it clear here: This is not an "Anti-44 Magnum / Pro-45 Colt" article. I have simply tried to clear up some myths and rumors and set the ballistic record straight in this small area. If I could have had some .41 Magnum pressure data on hand it would have compared accordingly to the .44 Magnum just as the .44 compares to the .45 Colt. The load data used in this article has been used by myself for several years, and recommended to dozens of other shooters across this nation for a couple years now. All report good results and fine accuracy. If I show a prejudice toward the .45 Colt it is deserved and well-founded. I happen to like all sixgun cartridges above .40 caliber. I just like the .45 Colt the best.

Notes on the Smith & Wesson

The load data printed at the beginning of this article is considered MAXIMUM safe loads with listed bullets for RUGER BLACKHAWKS ONLY - (and, if you must shoot them, Contenders).

The Smith & Wesson Model 25-5 chambered for the .45 Colt is a fine gun and one I pack daily myself. The problem with the Smith &Wesson guns in general is not so much a strength factor but rather a design factor. Before you S&W people beat up on me please listen. It has long been evident that the Model 29 in .44 Magnum very quickly beats itself apart with full-power loads. This is not technically a "strength" problem as much as a design problem and the assemblage of several small parts that are not as rugged as the Single Action design. In the course of time if all the little parts wear a tiny bit this soon adds up to a lot of play in the overall fit and lock-up of the gun. This in turn allows the gun to get a further "run" at itself under discharge and thus hastens the battering process.

In reality the Model 25-5 is about 80% as strong as the Model 29 in the cylinder area. The frames are the same and are designed for a 40,000 psi load level even though we know this is a bit more than they are happy with. It's too bad S&W built a 40,00 psi cylinder and installed it in a 30,000 psi frame, so to speak. (note: since this writing S&W has worked on the problem of the cylinder unlatching and rolling back under recoil after it gets a bit worn) The 25-5 in .45 Colt is safe to 80% of the 40,000 psi of the .44 Magnum Model 29. This allows a load of 32,000 psi in this frame. I have shot hundreds of the 32,000 psi class loads listed at the beginning of this article in several Model 25-5's. Recoil is heavy due to the S&W "hump" on the grip, but I do not see these loads as being dangerous in this fine gun. I do consider 32,000 to be ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM for this gun and prefer to hold my personal loads to 5% under those listed loads for approximately 25,000 psi. I carry a S&W 4" in .45 Colt daily and shoot a 260 gr. Keith at 900 fps for general duty. When I saddle up and go into the hills I pack the same gun with a 310 gr. NEI Keith over 23 gr. H-110. This gives me about 1080 fps and all the punch I need for anything on our mountain. As with any gun and load data, work up carefully. I assume responsibility only for the ammo I myself assemble.

Best regards. John L.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HEAVYWEIGHT BULLETS - Part 2 - by John Linebaugh

Post by Tycer »

I have learned so much from him over the years. He’s really good at communicating with data to me.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I just calculated a 440gr 50 caliber at 850 fps - 26.7 TKO. I no longer have any use for this gun (and can no longer handle heaver load recoil) but like it so much I just can't part with it. It's a Freedom Arms M83 converted by Jack Huntington to 500 JRH. Bought it used 10 yrs ago when I was going thru my "Big Bore Mania".

For the sake of discussion, is it bore diameter or meplat that is what really counts (trying to remember back to Ross Seyfried's work with painted bullets and sand box).
Paul
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Paul105 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:31 pm I just calculated a 440gr 50 caliber at 850 fps - 26.7 TKO. I no longer have any use for this gun (and can no longer handle heaver load recoil) but like it so much I just can't part with it. It's a Freedom Arms M83 converted by Jack Huntington to 500 JRH. Bought it used 10 yrs ago when I was going thru my "Big Bore Mania".

For the sake of discussion, is it bore diameter or meplat that is what really counts (trying to remember back to Ross Seyfried's work with painted bullets and sand box).
Paul
Paul, NICE GUN.
Have you tried loading down to 750 or 700 or 650fps even? You would still be able to take deer if they are in range. At 650 you get a TKO of 20, the same as the 240Gr 44! Just thinking out loud . .

grizz
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Grizz

Recently acquired some 330gr lead flat nose powder coated projectiles but haven't loaded any yet. Plan on starting with 8.5 gr of HP38 and see whats what.
Paul
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have saved the TKO formula on my phone.

The load I settled on for my Henry 41 mag has a TKO of 22.41 !
Now I just gotta take it somewhere I can use it on deer or pigs to see how well it works.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have a Smith 25 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt and that 260 gr Keith at 900 is pleasant to shoot and I don’t push it any harder.

But I don’t carry the 25 because I simply like a SAA at the same power level better.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I load 23 grains of H110 over the 300 grain XTP for my winchester 1892. This load sounds like a sledge hammer hitting a melon when it contacts a deer. The buck I shot with it last year....LITERALLY, made a sound like someone taking a hard gut punch. He went "Hoooomph" and tried to curl into the fetal position while standing, then dropped stone dead. I tested it at 75 yards against 1/4" leather over a1# bologna pack over 1/2 pine board nacked my 6 1 gallon water jugs. It penetrated to the 6th judge, the first two vaporized into millions of plastic pieces and the projectile expanded to 74 caliber. I would feel comfortable using this on anything in North America and quite a few African species....within 125 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I so appreciate you reposting this Jim. Linebaugh's insights are a continuing gift to sixgunners.