I’m starting to favor Italian guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m starting to favor Italian guns

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have several now and each of them have correct timing and correct throat dimensions.

I picked up this Pietta clone and it is no different.

First five rounds 8 gr 231 with a Hornady 255 gr swaged bullet. Bore is squeaky clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I’m starting to favor Italian guns

Post by Twodot »

NICE!
I think I saw an old movie actor that had similar grips on his Colt ;)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pietta really upped its game a few years back going all in on CNC machines and improved QC. One thing I like about the Uberti clones is that the cylinders are a smidge beefier than the Colt originals, and Brian Pearce says they can handle "class two" loads safely.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m not sure I need anything hotter than this load. It clocks around 942 fps with this bullet. Cases fall right out of the chambers.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Look like a miniature revolver in you paws :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Forced perspective. Camera above pointed down puts hand closer to lens. Sort of the same thing people do when taking photos of hunters behind game. Put game in front, hunters well behind animal, camera low shooting upwards. Hides the distance between animal and hunters. Sinc images are two dimensional it looks like th hunter and animal are on the same plane.

While this is often done intentionally, it’s a side effect of simply holding something while taking a photo. Same kind effect you get with selfies.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Heck, I just held it up to the target and took the photo with my phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Nice shooting, assuming it has antique finish
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My next purchase will be a 44-40 SAA clone to go with my Uberti 1873 rifle of the same caliber. Good to hear their quality is there.
NRA Life Member
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Italians have always excelled at shotguns. Even the least expensive house brands, such as my old Trade Winds auto, are superb.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Yeah I like Perazzi , Luciano Bosis and Fabbri shotguns problem is I can’t afford the Ones I like .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

My shotgun choices have always been more pedestrian. I carried an 870 Police for years and hunted with Remington shotguns to the extent that the manual of arms is deeply engrained.

But I love the look of a good double.

The Italian 73 clones are really good and my Cimarron is much slicker than my Japanese Winchester guns.

I would like to get a Cimarron 73 trapper or SRC chambered in .45 Colt.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:29 pm I’m not sure I need anything hotter than this load. It clocks around 942 fps with this bullet. Cases fall right out of the chambers.
Anything that won't handle should be left alone until something with carriage wheels can be arranged. I've used the Lee 255RF over 8.5 of Universal, for about that velocity. I'll have to try it with 8.0 of 231, a main-battery powder here.

I prefer the Italian gun's handling over any NM Ruger, which I previously chose for heavy 45 Colt loads and the ability to carry six rounds. I'm past hot-rodding the 45 Colt and I see Pietta now offers a transfer bar single action in the Traditions Frontier. They review well and factory triggers come in at four pounds or less.

I really like the look your Pietta and it's obviously shooting well.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Sarge wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:10 am

I prefer the Italian gun's handling over any NM Ruger, which I previously chose for heavy 45 Colt loads and the ability to carry six rounds. I'm past hot-rodding the 45 Colt and I see Pietta now offers a transfer bar single action in the Traditions Frontier. They review well and factory triggers come in at four pounds or less.

I really like the look your Pietta and it's obviously shooting well.
Sarge,

I’ve come to the same conclusions. I used to push catridges really hard, but I am seeing that was not wise. The .45 Colt at 900 fps (1100 to 1200 in a carbine) is a really good and useful round.

I slicked up the action a bit and it feels even better now.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got several Uberti SAA clones, and they all seem to be fine guns and accurate. My only change to all of them was to lighten the mainsprings to reduce heavier than needed hammers, and help trigger pulls too. I had an Uberti Bisley in .45 Colt I bought from Ballard Rifle Co. back when they existed. It was Steve Garbe's personal CASS handgun, and he'd gone completely through it and it was better than any original Colt SAA I'd ever handled. Glassy smooth action, and beautiful bone charcoal case colors. I let a friend talk me out of it, and still regret that sale.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

I boogered up my Uberti Cattleman using Linebaugh's 8 grains of 231 and a 255 gr RNSP. It hammered the firing pin hole to where the revolver would start locking up because of primer material flowing around the firing pin. Probably took about 200 rounds to do it but I Had to tig weld up the recoil shield (no firing pin bushing on the Uberti) then grind it back smooth again and redrill the firing pin hole LOL. I backed off to 7.2 grains of 231 and saved the 8-grain load for the Blackhawk. But dang it shot good with 8 grains......

Bob
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That’s not good!

John shot that load in a number of guns and recommended it for my 2nd gen Colt.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:49 pm That’s not good!

John shot that load in a number of guns and recommended it for my 2nd gen Colt.
The Colt has a firing pin bushing. The recoil shield does not get beat up like in the guns without one.
The firing pin bushing in my first .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk was soft and got beat.
IMG_2326.JPG
It locked the firing pin in the forward position and tied up the gun. I got a new one, case hardened it and installed it and been shooting it ever since. That was back in the 1980's. And I have run a lot of heavy loads in it since I did that.
Galloway
Levergunner

Post by Galloway »

Ive had that happen to a few uberti's and have always been able to smooth face out with diamond paper and keep them shooting. I suspect it has more to with with dry firing and mainspring pressure than the load since i was shooting black only in those days fyi. That 231 load sounds like a nice one.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

My best loads for 250 gr cast bullets in .45 Colt have been 6.2 gr of Titegroup and 7.5 gr of 231. Both give about 850 fps and standard deviations of around 15 fps in my guns.

I have never owned Italian single actions but my shooting partner has several. As with any fixed sight revolvers including Vaqueros, I've had to turn the barrels a smidgeon to correct for windage.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've had a couple of early Uberti Cattlemen, 357 and a 44. Both got lots of Magnum loads, some mild loads and were dry fired some. Both peened the firing pin holes to the extent they required dressing.

Uberti ought to have corrected that problem long ago. My next spaghetti sixgun will be a Pietta.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've owned 4 or 5 Italian-made sixguns over the years ... maybe a couple more :lol: Never had any real problems with them. I used 2 of them in CAS for quite a long time. I did not shoot the 4 gr. of Cream of Wheat loads that the players used. I always used factory equivalent or full Black Powder loads. I did slick up the actions but I did that on all guns that needed it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 2 3rd Gen Colt SAAs in 45 Colt. My preferred SD load is a Speer 200 HP (flying ashtray), pushed by 6.5 grains of TiteGroup for about 850fps from the 4-3/4" bbl. Only ever used on paper targets during qualifying, but expansion in wet phonebooks @ 50 feet was impressive.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The great thing about the .45 Colt is that it doesn’t get any smaller!

I know of a number of folks who got shot with the .45 Colt which was very popular in that a number of officers I worked with carried Model 25 Smiths in the 1980s.

Seemed to do just fine.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Thanks a lot this d…a…m…n thread has me perusing Bosis and Fabbri guns and has kinda carried over into the limey Boss and Purdey guns as well . Somebody got a spare million they can lend me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

6pt-sika wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:13 pm Thanks a lot this d…a…m…n thread has me perusing Bosis and Fabbri guns and has kinda carried over into the limey Boss and Purdey guns as well . Somebody got a spare million they can lend me :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking about this. The danger sign is if someone with Italian six shooters starts buying Italian motorcycles, then Italian cars, and then finally Italian shoes ! ! ! That could be an international financial crisis. :!: . :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Grizz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:25 pm The danger sign is if someone with Italian six shooters starts buying Italian motorcycles, then Italian cars, and then finally Italian shoes ! ! ! That could be an international financial crisis. :!: . :lol:
No danger of that here Brother. They don’t make Italian shoes that fit me!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:25 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:13 pm Thanks a lot this d…a…m…n thread has me perusing Bosis and Fabbri guns and has kinda carried over into the limey Boss and Purdey guns as well . Somebody got a spare million they can lend me :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking about this. The danger sign is if someone with Italian six shooters starts buying Italian motorcycles, then Italian cars, and then finally Italian shoes ! ! ! That could be an international financial crisis. :!: . :lol:
You need not worry about me getting wound up on anything Italian other then the higher priced shotguns , sports cars , the food and if I wasn’t already married the younger nubile tender females of 50 kilos or less :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:46 pm
Grizz wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:25 pmThe danger sign is if someone with Italian six shooters starts buying Italian motorcycles, then Italian cars, and then finally Italian shoes ! ! ! That could be an international financial crisis. :!: . :lol:
No danger of that here Brother. They don’t make Italian shoes that fit me!
Do Luccheses count? :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Griff,

I wear a size 14 or 15 depending on the booot.

They don’t make those fancy shoes in my size. Moreover, I think I might ruin such a shoe stepping in cow pies.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:23 am Griff,

They don’t make those fancy shoes in my size. Moreover, I think I might ruin such a shoe stepping in cow pies.
and changing the direction of this thread without apology, I used to love shooting frozen cowpies in the winter with my .22 sixgun! :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:23 am Griff,

I attended a wedding in Manila four years ago . It was a Catholic ceremony and I was asked to be one of the sponser/ God parents or whatever the correct term is . Anyway I bought the traditional filipino Barone Tagalog wedding attire and wanted a decent looking pair of dress shoes , so I ordered some . Dress shoes have changed drastically since the last time I got some . These things were keen enough in the toe to kill roaches ten inches back in a crack . They are some of the most uncomfortable shoes I ever bought , they aren’t Italian but along that style . Not my cup of tea .