Winchester BB94 .444 makes meat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester BB94 .444 makes meat

Post by JBowen »

Yesterday I was able to bag a nice buck. Although it is legal to take a doe I decided this year it was going to be a buck or nothing.
This one showed up and I thought it was a doe until it turned its head and the sun highlighted the antlers.
It was facing me about 60 or so yards and I shot it where the neck meets the shoulder on its left side. The bullet traveled above the shoulder along the spine and went through the spine about 18 inches back and lodged under the skin on the right side of the spine.
It never took a step but it flopped and kicked until I got too it and cut its throat. I was in such a hurry to get this thing quartered up and on ice I forgot to get a picture with the gun. My load was a 265 grain Hornady softpoint over Reloder 7.
It is an 8 point with short points.
IMG_0391 (1).jpg
JBowen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester BB94 .444 makes meat

Post by Drawdown »

Good job and congratulations! I had couple coworkers about 15 years ago, father & son, who hunted with the 444. They where yearly serious deer hunters, and they liked that cartridge. Great for hunting these brushy mountains!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Drawdown wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:38 pm Good job and congratulations! I had couple coworkers about 15 years ago, father & son, who hunted with the 444. They where yearly serious deer hunters, and they liked that cartridge. Great for hunting these brushy mountains!
Thanks, Drawdown. I have owned this gun for probably 15 years plus and this is the first season I have taken it out. It is surprisingly
accurate at 100 yards and is perfect for the woods and terrain I hunt in the Ozark National Forest.

JBowen
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Congrats on a nice score with a very nice rifle. 🍻

Curious, does your 94 Big Bore have the fat receiver? I was recently discussing with some online friends on another platform if the 94 Big Bore 444 were all fat receivers, standard receivers, or if there is a mix of both with those.

I have an appx 1980 made 94 Big Bore in 375 Win. It's a pre-safety top ejector. I love that rifle. 🙂
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

444 is hard to beat...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

RIDERED350r wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:26 pm Congrats on a nice score with a very nice rifle. 🍻

Curious, does your 94 Big Bore have the fat receiver? I was recently discussing with some online friends on another platform if the 94 Big Bore 444 were all fat receivers, standard receivers, or if there is a mix of both with those.

I have an appx 1980 made 94 Big Bore in 375 Win. It's a pre-safety top ejector. I love that rifle. 🙂
Thanks, RIDERED350r. Yes it has the fat reciever and the crossbolt safety. As far as I know all Big Bores are fat receivers, though I have
not seen a Japan .450.
I also have a pre-safety top eject 375 that I have never hunted with. It may get honors next year.

JBowen
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I've taken two deer with my 375 and it works very well 👍🏻.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic. Anything Winchester 94 gets my approval 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

CONGRATS...
PLEASE SEND ONE OF THOSE DEER TO FLORIDA!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I was reading an article in a recent Sporting Classics Magazine by Wayne Van Zwoll, primarily about the "45-70, It Isnt Old Yet". But in recent years, I've really like reading his articles. He writes of all types of actions & rifles, but he definitely has a special place in his heart for leverguns, especially as they pertain to elk hunting! I've seen him with elk with several types of levers, but he sure upholds the Big Bores, rightfully so. These last paragraphs made me think of this thread, so I added this pic!
And in this same edition he has IMO his best article yet, about Townsend Whelen. He explains about Whelens first trip to British Columbia, how he took 2 rifles, an 1894 Win 30-30 and 1895 in 40-72. Pretty obvious that Whelen took more game, Big Game, especially Deer, even up to a Mountain Goat with the 30-30 because he could get good accuracy out to 200 yds, far better than the 40-72! Makes me feel good about my 30-30 's again!
But, the BB's speak loud for themselves plainly! Good words here on their behalf!
20231115_211821.jpg
Correct me if wrong, but I believe Marlins purpose for coming out with the 444, was at that time it appeared the 45-70 was on its way out? TV mostly saved it? But, I'd say had it died, the 444 Marlin would've become very very popular!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine has the fat receiver and crossbolt safety and is very accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...