Afternoon at the Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Afternoon at the Range

Post by Griff »

Spent another afternoon at the rifle club. Took 3 rifles, 2 Winchester 94s and the 1885 Hi-Wall. (I'd meant to take one of my 16" Trapper 94s, but... apparently, since it wasn't set out, I hadn't planned all that thoroughly)!

I shot the Hi-Wall first to see if the new load changed my grouping or zero from the last trip. Happy to say, that 14 grains of XMP-5744 is perfect in the .32-40. Loads averaged 1469.1 fps behind the 170 RFN in Winchester cases and WLR primers. This is the first time I trimmed all the cases and weighed each charge. Using a balance beam scale, there can still be minute changes in load density, but with an ES of 34fps, SD of 11.5, and AD of 9.9, not too troublesome. From a rested position at 100 yards, I was pleasantly surprised with both my 5 shot group from a clean barrel and then with an additional five shots for a 10 shot group. No scope adjustments necessary to
5-Shot Group.png
10-shot Group.png
I then shot a ten shot string from each of the .30-30s, 1st one being my 26" bull barrel mdl 94. I initially wanted to shoot for group at the same time, but, with my target in the shadows, a black target with only a red diamond for a bull... frankly, at 100 yards I simply couldn't tell where the little "T" post in the front globe site was on the target. I would say that my chronograph was way off on these, but... the .32-40 load was right in the range QuickLoad predicted... these weren't. I had one round that was very near a squib, but it cleared the bbl and registered a mere 651.2 fps, (unkown cause but some unburnt powder, so must've been a low charge). So, I eliminated it from my calculations. QuickLoad predicted 2267 fps with the 26" bbl.

The load consists of 27.5 grains of RE7, a 150 grain cast of WWs from a Saeco #316 mold with CCI gas-checks, Lyman Alox lube, WLR primers, Winchester cases. From the 26" bbl'd mdl 94 they averaged 2538 fps, with a ES of 200, SD of 73.3 and AD of 67. From the 20" octagon mdl '66 Centennial they averaged 2451.5 fps, with an ES of 168, a SD of 43 and an AD of 27. That was a complete 10-shot string. QuickLoad only predicted a 2167 fps in the 20" bbl.

I will probably drop my powder charge down to the recommended maximum in the Lyman 4th Ed. Cast bullet handbook which is 26.5 grains of RE7 for their predicted 2190 fps. It also happens to be their potentially most accurate load. It's odd that Lyman lists 28 grains as maximum with a 170 grain cast bullet, but only 26.5 for the 150 grain. I'm guessing the difference being that the heavier bullet is showing using a CCI 200 primer and the WLR primer with the 150.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Afternoon at the Range

Post by JBowen »

That is some really nice shootin' with that 1885! Be hard to beat that.
Keep us updated on the 30-30 load development.

JBowen
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JBowen wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 pm That is some really nice shootin' with that 1885! Be hard to beat that.
Keep us updated on the 30-30 load development.

JBowen
Plus one, interesting reading.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Re 7 -- another powder on my "don't have/ain't got" list ... :( :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This just in !
That Hi Wall is a SHOOTER!
I'm guessing your target camera is a good addition to your shooting bag!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sounds like a great day

You forgot to post pics of the shootin’ iron. The 26” big barrel ‘94 sounds very compelling. (And I wish I never sold my 26” Canadian Centennial)
----- Doug
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Those are excellent groups!
I love the .32-40 in a lever gun or single shot. Just a joy to shoot, and very pleasant on the shooter. Great out to 400 yds. easily, and further if a guy wants to play with them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Good post & shooting! The Highwall is an interesting rifle
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:54 amI'm guessing your target camera is a good addition to your shooting bag!
I can't recommend them highly enough. It has a feature that allows it to recognize a new hole in the target, even one overlapping another. It simply compares the current target to the previous image stored and, as it flashes between the two, that change becomes quite obvious. With the camera set up about 10 feet from the target, it's literally like you're standing there looking at the target. No eye strain, no trying to see tiny changes in the target. I took a spotting scope with me, but never bothered to set it up. Best thing? My old 9" tablet from a former carrier doesn't need wifi to connect to the camera and display the camera's output up to 300 yards away. Longshot Cameras. They even have a nice little tripod to set your phone or tablet on so viewing is as easy as watching TV!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, which model Longshot are you running? Boy, what a time and step-saver at the range!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I clicked on all the various cameras at the link, and all are marked "unavailable"? Seems they're either way behind, or not made anymore?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:30 amGriff, which model Longshot are you running? Boy, what a time and step-saver at the range!
I have the "Marksman" model. it's showing as "unavailable", but Amazon is showing 7 in stock: Longshot Target Camera @ $29 less than I paid for mine.
marlinman93 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:54 amI clicked on all the various cameras at the link, and all are marked "unavailable"? Seems they're either way behind, or not made anymore?
Going to the bottom of the page and clicking on "Tutorials" you should be able to see several videos on using the app.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!