Hand Crafting Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Hand Crafting Ammo

Post by Griff »

Since I had my trimmer mounted to the bench, (have to take my powder stand down to do that), I decided that since I had less than 50 rounds of .30-30 in cast, I'd make up some. At least a box of 50... so I trimmed 50 cases (Winchester) down to 2.028" after sizing and deburred inside & outside the case mouths. Hand-primed all 50 with my Lee hand-priming tool in the comfort of the A/C, and then went back out to the shop to finish up. Got my old cardboard Unique can full of 150 RFN from the Saeco #316 mold and set up the lubri-sizer. I only have one sizer for the .30-30, a .309". After hunting high & low I found the correct top punch and began. With a load of lube, a RCBS gas-check these weight right at 153.9 grains. Double checked my Lyman book for load data and confirmed that my 27.5 grains of RE-7 isn't quite a max load. They don't list a load for a 150, only a 170 & 173 cast in the 50th. The 170 data shows 28 grains to be max, so with the lighter bullet, I'm still confident it's a safe load in my Winchester 94s. Since the only .30-30s I own are Winchester 94s, I took one with me to check feeding and chambering. Not that I was really concerned as this bullet/case combo have been my go to load since I started loading cast for it back in 1973, although then I could buy gas checked bullets from a local supplier in So.Cal. He used the same mold, so when he quit, that's what I bought. A four hole mold, they add up quick. I believe I'm about a third of the way thru my 3rd box of RCBS gas checks, so I've shot up about 2,300 of these loads. They don't hold any surprises for me. But, it's a real sense of satisfaction to shoot ammo that you've crafted for your own supplies and labor. From casting, sizing & lubing the projectiles, ensuring the cases are good and in within specs, to measuring powder charges, seating depth, neck tension and a final overall looksee at the finished cartridge, it's a hobby and excellent way to block out the rest of the world for a couple of hours. Randomly checked they easily check out in the Wilson check gauge. But, like always, they're tight in my custom Winchester 94, and if past results are a guide, they should clock around 2290 fps from this rifle.
tang sight.JPG
I merely made a small divot in the supply of .30-30 cases I have on hand... 2 full 1-½ gallon ice cream plastic containers! I'm sure I'll never shoot them all, even if I stick around till the planned 140 mark!
DSCN1553[1].JPG
Hopefully, the weatherman is wrong about tomorrow and I can make a trip out to the range to humiliate myself with my marksmanship! As none of my mdl 94s have a suitcase handle on top... or side... or wherever one can hang one! If so, I'll drag along my 16" Trapper and check what velocity difference 10" of barrel makes.

P.S. This RCBS 2-die set I bought new in 1973 still makes good ammo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hand Crafting Ammo

Post by Grizz »

Good post! I just learned about 27 things I never knew were things to know. Thanks for the details. :)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Started casting and reloading to save money, and shoot more. But quickly learned that my hand loads shot better than what I bought, and were always milder too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've never saved any money by casting and hand loading .. BUT I shot a LOT MORE for the money I spent! And like has been said, often you can craft ammo that beats factory stuff.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Good detail and information. I haven't gone through that process for 40 years. I still load ammo but have not taken the time to gas-check my own bullets.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the kind words. As I said, I started reloading the .30-30 in 1973, while still on active duty. Then in 1974, I became a student living on my VA benefits, luckily my wife worked and was supportive of my shooting hobby and hunting. My first deer was her and her family's first taste of venison. And were always around for for another, so it must've been appealing. The accountant in the wife couldn't resist telling how much a pound it really cost! LOL. Waugu beef is cheap in comparison! Reloading was really necessary if I was to shoot. My 1st reloading outfit was partially a gift from my B-I-L and a few judicious purchases at the local toy stores. As said, reloading can provide more ammo for the buck, and at the time much better ammo than was available back with far more choices than could be found on store shelves.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Interesting post! I don't know why I never got into casting my own bullets, especially as much as I enjoy the 30-30. I sure planned too about 5 years ago, did my homework, got enough advice from others experienced at it, especially Jim who helped me a lot on the fine points, which I took notes and all. I wanted a 38-55 especially, but I just never committed, and got away from it, so never did it. Kinda regret it now, I know I'd enjoy it, cause I enjoy shooting too much!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I started loading .30-30 in 1970-- while a junior in high school in Arcata, CA. But back then I loaded 150-grain FN Sierra Bullets -- when Sierra was still in Commiefornia. It was probably 20-25 years before I started casting.
With a beater Marlin Model 36 inbound, I thought I had best boost my supply of cast .309s and did both powder-coated and tumble-lubed Lee 170s. These come out about 178 in my range scrap alloy with gas check.
I hope the bore on the 36 is decent enough to shoot cast without leading. I'm thinking this Lee would make a dandy hunting bullet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I didn't drag myself out to the range today, even tho' the weather seems fine for it. I sized and trimmed another 50 cases and prepared to load them. A nearby toy store said they had 3 lbs of RE7 on the shelf, so knowing I only had what was in the powder measure left, I headed there. Alas... what he had was Accurate #7, but picked up 1K large rifle primers, and tho" if they'd been in stock I'd have snagged a box of 200 45 Colt cast RFN. Not to be... But, I got to visit with a good supplier and knowledgeable dealer. But, checked with Midway and have a 5 lb jug of RE7 on the way. I guess I'll be using my cast 200 gr. RFN in the 45 Colt instead of store bought! Hopefully the rain stops before the cowboy match tomorrow. Annual Halloween match, costumes encouraged. I'll be using my Colt 3rd gens, a Uberti '73 Short Rifle and my old Stoeger side by side. As there may be a long range side match, I'll be taking the newly sighted in scoped HiWall and my .30-30 mdl 94 Winchester.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I sure enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing.

Most of my loading these days is accomplished by pulling the crank on an old Dillon machine. It’s satisfying, but not anything like precision hand loading.

However, I intend to take much more care in loading for the .327 on a single stage press.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:59 amMost of my loading these days is accomplished by pulling the crank on an old Dillon machine. It’s satisfying, but not anything like precision hand loading.
Don't feel like The Lone Ranger, most of mine is also. There is also a certain satisfaction to fill up a GI can full of 45ACP or 45 Colt or even the Cowboy45Special!

It was still raining here this morning, so when the alarm went off at 0530, I shut it off and skipped out on shooting in the wet. Since it's a two day event, I may go tomorrow. See how much it dries out... went back to sleep. But I was still productive: went back out to finish the prep of the 2nd 50 .30-30s and happened to look in the powder locker... SCORE! An unopened pound of RE7, it had it's label turned in, and I'd just assumed it was a can of RedDot. So, just finished up that second 50 rounds for the .30-30! I generally buy my powder in whatever bulk container it's retailed in, but keep a 1 pound can to use to fill the powder measure, much easier to handle than a 5 lb or 8 lb. jug. Then, when I empty a larger container into that 1 lb jug, I reorder. Somehow, I ended up with a 2nd 1 lb can of RE7. Which is my go to powder for the .30-30 and 375Win.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!