Favorite sippin’ bourbons?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Favorite sippin’ bourbons?

Post by Streetstar »

I’m guessing a few of us on here , as it is fall now, enjoy a highball of an adult beverage at times when the day is done

Just curious what some of you gentlemen partake in

—— backstory: My relationship of the last few years with a tee totaler has failed and I am re-stocking the bar in my house for the winter after 5 years of it being empty, —- and you know, I enjoyed her company when we were getting along so much I didn’t miss it either . But life moves on

I feel reasonably well supplied on the tequila front with Don Julio Reposado and Blanco and see no need for anything else there unless hosting people where margaritas are in order, then I reach for the Hornitos. Am slowly re-stocking the wine selection with mostly stuff from California’s Russian River area because I like the area

But, bourbons and whiskeys were always an afterthought except for keeping some Makers Mark around for a mixer or some Gentleman Jack for the occasional visit from my brother

A friend told me to start with a bottle of Bulleit Rye and maybe some Buffalo Trace if I can find it

But what are some of the recommendations from the levergunners?
----- Doug
JimT
Shootist

Re: Favorite sippin’ bourbons?

Post by JimT »

Rowan's Creek - small batch bourbon - a favorite of mine.
1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My only hard liquor drink is Whiskey neat. And only fall through spring.
Yes, I like Makers too. I can vouch for the Bulleit rye, it's very good. But I like rye Whiskey.
I too, liked Gentlemen Jack. Along with Jack rye. I even have an unopened 5th of Single Barrel. But since going woke, I can't abide JD anymore.
I like Jim Beam rye, and Jim Beam Black is also good. I've tried Beam Devils Cut also. It wasn't bad, but I prefer Black and Rye.
Wild Turkey 101 rye is quite good also.

However, I must warn you, I have no high falutin palate. I'm not a Whiskey snob by any stretch of the imagination.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I've been a bourbon lover my entire life, but since my younger days I hardly ever buy it. I used to buy Wild Turkey, Makers Mark, Southern Comfort, little Crown Royal, but especially Jack Daniel's. JD for my taste, effect, use is all I've bought in 25 years, it's to me, The Best! I've of the mind I'm honestly a better man all around when I use it right. Not one time did it make me feel crazy, leave me sick, or regret it, even in large quantities! If it's use was agreeable with my Lord & Saviour, I would use it often! But sometimes, it's a needed medicine, and for me it's often been a medicine! Left entirely up to me, I love the stuff! But only JD!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have never been much of a drinker but there is a tradition in Special Forces at funerals when everyone, except fellow members, has left before the first dirt is put on the casket. We drink a toast to the fallen member with his favorite beverage (this is not all of the ceremony). As this has given me the ability to taste many drinks I would not have ordered or bought and I have outlived too many of my brothers. I now keep many different items in stock for visiting friends and indulge every now and then in a few of them. My favorite was Crown Royal (due to my daughter starting that) then Canadian Hunter which I can not tell apart from Crown, Some older bottles of Jack, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, and Chivas (which started on a bus trip from Frankfort FRG, to Barcelona in 1975). My first A-team leader was 1LT Craig his favorite was Makers Mark we used a few bottles of it for the ceremony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

JD green label, single barrel have been past favorites but recently I got a bottle of JD bonded- by far the best they produce!
Irish whisky, Green Spot and Tealing are fantastic.
Those are neat with cubes only.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have drank nearly every kind of Bourbon I can find in Britain but have yet to find one that equals old Pappy Van Winkle...... only problem is that at £3,999 a bottle I can't afford it... :lol:
pvwfrksbw20yocu.jpg
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thanks Gamekeeper. I’ve never even seen a bottle of that stuff.

I don’t drink much, but when I do I like Jameson neet. I think I like the smell as much as anything though.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:00 am Thanks Gamekeeper. I’ve never even seen a bottle of that stuff.

I don’t drink much, but when I do I like Jameson neet. I think I like the smell as much as anything though.
I have only seen it once at a hotel down on the south coast, it was so expensive per shot I just had to try it.. :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Um, check out my name and avatar.............

Funny thing, Jack is NOT a bourbon, but is sold along with all other bourbons.

Jack Daniels is legally a "Tennessee Whiskey" (they had sued the FDA over the 'bourbon' designation back in 1913 I think it was...) made by the "Moore County method" being leached through charcoal before aging. "Gentleman Jack" gets leached through charcoal a 2nd time after aging and is very smooth.

I love the JD Bonded 100-proof too! It's one of 13 different varieties of JD's Tennessee Whiskey (11 types) or Rye (2 types) that I have in stock.

Someday, I'll have to line up all THIRTEEN bottles and post it here as proof that: "I know JACK" :wink:

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Just because...

Old No7

JD Time.jpg
JD accident.jpg
JD flu shot.jpg
JD Sedative.jpg
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Darryl I wondered how long it would take you to chip in.... :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Screenshot_20190329-193405_Samsung Internet.jpg
Have you tried the JD White Rabbit Saloon ? I drank 1 bottle of it and I've squirrel away another.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Even though my FIL put me in for a Tennessee Squire and I've been one since the mid 80's, JD isn't my favorite. Depending upon the day, I'm fond of (in no particular order) Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Laws, Gentleman Jack and Angles' Envy. I stock all of them and I drink all of them neat.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I usually sip a scotch winter evenings but have some bourbon here too, A customer brought me a bottle of Buffalo Trace, while I appreciated the gesture I'm not fond of it.

Someone once told me get wild turkey, reasonably priced and better than most....
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

4 Roses Small Batch. JD is not bourbon.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Daily drinkers? Four Roses or Redneck Rivera, straight.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:06 am Darryl I wondered how long it would take you to chip in.... :lol:
me too!

I am partial to Buffalo Trace, and it's upgrade from the same distillery, Eagle's Rare. I like Angel's Envy as well. I tried Wyoming Whiskey's bourbon when I as out west last month and enjoyed it as well. Buffalo Trace is finally starting to become available again, though you should buy it if you find it as I don't know how long that will last (the distillery itself limits you to one bottle per tour). To me it is the best economical bourbon available (usually sells for $30 - $36 a bottle).
gamekeeper wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:49 am I have drank nearly every kind of Bourbon I can find in Britain but have yet to find one that equals old Pappy Van Winkle...... only problem is that at £3,999 a bottle I can't afford it... :lol:
John, like you I have tried a shot of Pappy's, but that was all I could afford. It was awesome, but here, you enter a lottery just to buy a bottle, and then pay market price - which I just can't justify!

Enjoy!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh, and if you pick anything flavored "Pumpkin Spice" you must surrender your man card...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Gentlemen

Thank you collectively for chiming in !

Sounds like i wasnt too far off the mark with my old pantry staples of Makers and Gentleman Jack, but adding a selection or 2 of the recommendations here would be A-OK

On the short list is the Rowan's and Buffalo Trace if i can find it

I on occasion will host a Sunday morning get together with perhaps 10-12 folks from my local cycling club and its not uncommon to zip through a large quantity of Tito's to make Bloody Mary's -- and when the Tito's runs out, whatever tequila is on hand makes a fine Bloody Maria --, however 2 or 3 decent bottles of Bourbon is likely a supply that will last a decade if left up to me -- with all of the fancy labelling out there , sometimes it gets confusing for a guy with mostly a palate for beer

I like @Paladins testimony of enjoying your fellow warrior's drink of choice too. Reminds me of my time in Ft Campbell as a much younger man , although we didnt wait for it to be at a celebration of life.
----- Doug
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The only Bourbon I'm familiar with is Old Crow, preferred by my favorite uncle.
For sipping I prefer Gin with a dash of bitters or Tequila straight.
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador, so obliviously I like Maker's. Even if you're not a huge fan of Maker's you should sign up to be an Ambassador, it's free and fun. You also can't go wrong with Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, and Buffalo Trace. Two summers ago I bought a bottle of Breckenridge Bourbon that I really enjoyed. If you like a little spicier drink try Crown Royal Northern Rye.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I'll second the motions for Wild Turkey 101 rye, Eagle Rare, and Makers. I drink mostly Barrel Proofs, or Cask Strength bourbons From Knob Creek, WT Rare Breed, Old Grandad, Russel's Reserve, Elijah Craig, Old Forester, Makers. Can't forget about Col. E.H. Taylor either. Some very good "cheap ones" are Evan Williams, Ezra Brooks, Old Forester, JW Dant, and Very Old Barton.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes ONC. I got some Evan Williams a year or so ago. I'd heard it was pretty good for "cheap stuff".
The first drink I poured, I figured I'd never get through that bottle. I didn't care for it, but thought I'd give it another chance. It has a different taste but I will admit it kind of grew on me. I don't mind it at all.

I did the same thing with Johnny Walker. I knew nothing of Scotch. First taste I thought it was nasty. I gave it a chance and grew to really enjoy it.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

OldWin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 am I figured I'd never get through that bottle. I didn't care for it, but thought I'd give it another chance. It has a different taste but I will admit it kind of grew on me. I don't mind it at all.
I only buy the Evan 100 proof Bottled in Bond, and not often, because I too like others better.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

OldWin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 am Yes ONC. I got some Evan Williams a year or so ago. I'd heard it was pretty good for "cheap stuff".
The first drink I poured, I figured I'd never get through that bottle. I didn't care for it, but thought I'd give it another chance. It has a different taste but I will admit it kind of grew on me. I don't mind it at all.

I did the same thing with Johnny Walker. I knew nothing of Scotch. First taste I thought it was nasty. I gave it a chance and grew to really enjoy it.
Scotch to me has an oily taste- I don't drink scotch for that reason.
I never really liked Gentlemen Jack but I let a bottle sit sealed since 1990 ish until the modern dark ages ( covid) and holy cow was it different than fresh stuff. I know it ages in the barrel but let me tell you it changes for the better in the bottle!

Does anyone remember Rod & Gun burbon?
It was my grandfather's burbon of choice. I have a bottle he bought back in the 70s!
Last edited by GunnyMack on Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Among the whiskeys, I don't care for many bourbons, but rye and Scotch I like. In the latter category, I prefer Macallan, Oban, Glendronach, Talisker, Laphoaig, and Lagavulin. Those last three have peat smoke in them and are an acquired taste.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:20 pm
OldWin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 am Yes ONC. I got some Evan Williams a year or so ago. I'd heard it was pretty good for "cheap stuff".

Scotch to me has an oily taste- I don't drink scotch for that reason.
I never really liked Gentlemen Jack but I let a bottle sit sealed since 1990 ish until the modern dark ages ( covid) and holy cow was it different than fresh stuff. I know it ages in the barrel but let me tell you it changes for the better in the bottle!

Does anyone remember Rod & Gun burbon?
It was my grandfather's burbon of choice. I have a bottle he bought back in the 70s!
Oh oh! Maybe I should crack open that bottle of single barrel. I've had it a few years now. My boy will be home this hunting season. Maybe I'll bring it to camp so 3 generations can enjoy a sip.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A few years? Not long enough Jay! A few decades is what it needs :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not bourbons, but you all might find this interesting. There was an article in "Guns of the West" years back that listed whiskeys available in the "old west" period that are still available today. Here's the list:

• Kessler
• Old Crow
• Old Grand Dad
• Old Taylor (Colonel E.H. Taylor)
• Old Overholt
• Thistle Dew
• Hermitage
• Old Kentucky
• Old Reserve
• Coronet
• Log Cabin No. 1
• O.K. Cutter
• Chicken Cock
• Old Forrester
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:57 pm A few years? Not long enough Jay! A few decades is what it needs :lol:
Don't want to take a chance on it spoiling! :D
I better crack that open and make sure it doesn't go bad!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Deer camp is a good place to make sure!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Not much of a whiskey drinker myself, being partial to the much more pedestrian fermented barley malt products. Friends gave me a bottle of Forty Creek Canadian seven years ago and it remains unopened.
Now when it comes to a distilled spirit for actual sipping, give me a good bottle of Sotol from Mexico, thank you. You find it sometimes in the tequila section, but everywhere I have asked here in this part of Texas, the reply has been "Huh?" This is made from the root of the sotol plant of the Chihuahuan Desert - specifically Dasylirion wheeleri (which plant by the way becomes your very good friend when scrambling for your life up and down the steep and rocky terrain of the Sacramento Mountains of New Mexico). Once you have sipped a good Sotol, you'll leave the tequilas to the Margarita guzzlers.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for the heads up Bill, I have never heard of Sotol over here, now I've got some hunting to do... :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

John, it is mellower than the tequilas -- perfect for sipping, perhaps dangerously so. :o :lol:
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I think a lot of people believe the more expensive, the better the booze must be. I'm drinking hard if I have more than one or two drinks a week. I was in Costco a couple of years ago looking for a decent tequila and I stumbled on a Kirkland brand called Tequila Silver, (catchy name, eh?) and bought a bottle. It was surprisingly good and when someone is here visiting I often bring it out. I have tried a number of tequilas over the years and none are as smooth as this Costco brand. Don Julio, 1812. Patron, Herradura, Cabo Wabo are all good; to my taste buds the Costco stuff is smoother. Jose Cuervo was celebrated when I was a young man; terrible stuff now. Hornitos might be fine to mix but it tastes like there's a cigarette butt in the glass to me.

The Costco tequila is inexpensive. Try a bottle if you like a smooth tequila. I drink mine over crushed ice.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Walt wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:23 pm I think a lot of people believe the more expensive, the better the booze must be. I'm drinking hard if I have more than one or two drinks a week. I was in Costco a couple of years ago looking for a decent tequila and I stumbled on a Kirkland brand called Tequila Silver, (catchy name, eh?) and bought a bottle. It was surprisingly good and when someone is here visiting I often bring it out. I have tried a number of tequilas over the years and none are as smooth as this Costco brand. Don Julio, 1812. Patron, Herradura, Cabo Wabo are all good; to my taste buds the Costco stuff is smoother. Jose Cuervo was celebrated when I was a young man; terrible stuff now. Hornitos might be fine to mix but it tastes like there's a cigarette butt in the glass to me.

The Costco tequila is inexpensive. Try a bottle if you like a smooth tequila. I drink mine over crushed ice.
I've seen that Costco has a bourbon as well that is well-regarded. Unfortunately the local one here does not carry it.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Walt wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:23 pm I think a lot of people believe the more expensive, the better the booze must be. I'm drinking hard if I have more than one or two drinks a week. I was in Costco a couple of years ago looking for a decent tequila and I stumbled on a Kirkland brand called Tequila Silver, (catchy name, eh?) and bought a bottle. It was surprisingly good and when someone is here visiting I often bring it out. I have tried a number of tequilas over the years and none are as smooth as this Costco brand. Don Julio, 1812. Patron, Herradura, Cabo Wabo are all good; to my taste buds the Costco stuff is smoother. Jose Cuervo was celebrated when I was a young man; terrible stuff now. Hornitos might be fine to mix but it tastes like there's a cigarette butt in the glass to me.

1 or 2 drinks (besides beer) is an aggressive week for me as well, but I am partial to a dark tequila on occasion. Agree on reserving the Hornitos for the frozen margarita machine.

I’ve tried to level up my wine selection a bit at Costco, but living in Oklahoma, we still have some blue laws in effect and can’t purchase spirits anywhere but a designated liquor store , and still not on Sundays, so was not aware they had house brand hooch. Given that most of their house branded stuff is a rebranded major label, it’s not surprising it’s good

I was unable to find some of the more interesting sounding choices recommended in this thread, (there’s always mail order, I know) but I procured a bottle each of Bulleit 10 year reserve and a bottle of Bulleit Rye (never tried Rye to the best of my knowledge).
After 3 days they remain unopened- I think the research and the search was more fun than drinking ——- Sometimes I will also research a firearm to death before a purchase though and then when it’s finally in the gun safe , it might take 6 months to get it out and shoot it. Happened recently with a Sig 229 police gun I was contemplating recently. I read every article and watched a few YouTube videos on the DAK trigger before I bought it, then when I did - my reaction was “hmmm- another black semi-auto Sig. I bet it works fine” and it sat for months

I eventually shot it - it does work fine, but when I scored a new Colt Python and a new Henry .22 carbine, they were at the range the next day!
----- Doug
hpbear101
Levergunner

Post by hpbear101 »

I've recently been trying Horse Soldier Bourbon, good stuff.
https://horsesoldierbourbon.com/pages/our-bourbon
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Costco also has a Kirkland brand Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey which is very good and also affordable. It is a product of the Williams family and bottled by the Tennessee Distilling Company. I drink tequila more often than whiskey but this whiskey over crushed ice is a beautiful thing.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

hpbear101 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:40 am I've recently been trying Horse Soldier Bourbon, good stuff.
https://horsesoldierbourbon.com/pages/our-bourbon

This was one of the brands i was unsuccessful in finding also, as i was interested in trying a veteran owned product if i could find it too. I enjoy supporting veteran owned businesses with my dollars if they are not too overdone.

Horse Soldier or Hooten Young i would have gladly tried if i had found some . That said , my 2 bottle of Bulleit likely has me squared away for months

----- Doug
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The Bullet is good stuff too!
I also liked the Tin Cup, think its from Colorado.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:07 pm The Bullet is good stuff too!
I also liked the Tin Cup, think its from Colorado.

now thats a brand i did see in my brief travels to 3 package stores -- i just thought the brand was an ode to the golf movie of the same name from a few years back, as it seems there is a booze after almost anything these days
----- Doug
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rod & Gun from the 70's
20231026_162020.jpg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Never tasted a Bourbon I thought was fit to drink , same with Canadian and 95% of store bought Sour Mash. I like Irish . Teeling , Jameson Cask mate series aged in a Stout barrel are two I love as well as Slane. I also like a Colorado made Whisky called Stranahan's . I used to drink Henry McKenna Sour Mash until they decided that plastic made a suitable container for Whisky. I drink Centenario Tequila
and either Appleton Estates, Pritchard or Myers rum and Bombay Sapphire gin. Also have a couple of bottles of Cuban Havana Club rum I have been hoarding and slowly sipping for a number of years.