New Winchester/Miruko .357, SRC, stock fitting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

New Winchester/Miruko .357, SRC, stock fitting

Post by trooper joe »

I just bought a new Winchester/Miruko model 92, .357, SRC. I found it to cycle very smoothly, has a very nice 5 to 7# trigger (even though it is a rebound hammer system), and feeds .38 special without a hiccup. However, the stock fitting is terrible. I have owned 5 or 6 Winchester Miruko rifles and have never had one so bad. In addition, the forearm has a very unsightly blemish on the left rear area that would be nice if it was changed out.

I sent an email to Winchester customer service this afternoon. So, I guess I will see what they say.

I thought about sending this gun to Turnbull for their safety/hammer correction, color case harding and one of their upgraded stock assemblies. Maybe I should just do that instead of messing around with the warranty process.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Winchester/Miruko .357, SRC, stock fitting

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've heard of a stock being "proud" but that one seems a bit out of control.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Very out of character for a Miroku Winchester in my experience.

I don't see very many reports of them needing to be sent back for warranty issues. In fact I can only recall reading of one example that was shared on another forum. In that case, Winchester/Browning was very accommodating and took very good care of the customer.

Turnbull does outstanding work. I have an 1886 done by them and IMO they are never the wrong choice.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

My local shop had an 1895 in 30-06 and a high grade 1873 in 357 and both had decent grades of walnut on them but there was no finish other than a very thin sealer coat on the stocks. I have several older models from 20 years ago and there is no comparison between those and the new ones. Who ever is completing the wood these days is doing a very poor job.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Just curious -- but did these egregious faults suddenly appear after you got the gun home? Personally, I tend to look over a rifle pretty well before I lay my money down.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

This was transferred in to my local dealer. i won’t refuse delivery as suggested by a number of web based sellers.

The gun is back to Browning in Missouri as we speak. I am sure they will take care of it.

As Elmo 123 stated, late model Winchester/Miruko guns seem to be a little lacking with their wood finishing. However, the lever and firing system is very smooth for a rebound hammer. It seems to be smoother than my prior Winchester/Miruko guns.

I had one if these same guns several years ago and sold it to a friend. Finally found this one at a very good price. I am glad I got it in spite of the stock issue. If I am not happy when I get it back from Browning/Winchester repair, I will look into the Turnbull upgrades. I really do want at least one gun from Turnbull before I go toe up 🙃.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Heard from Winchester repair today. Their gunsmith says the stock fitting is normal. They did offer to install a “John Wayne Special” stock with higher grade wood. I really did not want that much bling on this carbine. They are sending it back since I did not want to wait until February for a replacement.

May talk to Turnbull about this gun.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I think the guys at miruko spent a little too much time with saki that day.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Galloway
Levergunner

Post by Galloway »

My 86 is the same way, feels clubby in hand not at all sleek and winchester esq.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Yeah that's pretty excessive. Too proud is not always a good thing. Winchester had a tolerance on wood fit of 1/64" .
Usually just enough to catch a finger nail to almost flush.
They are doing this to speed up production "one size fit all"

Easy fix though if desired .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow!! That stock fit is pretty bad. our local farm store has three Rossi's with better wood to metal fit than that. I had the same thing happen to me with Franchi Al-48 shotgun, it had a big blem in the bottom of the stock . I sent it in for warranty and they replaced it with a Prince of Wales "AAA" stock set . It is so purty I could never take it Hunting. Good Luck.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

trooper joe wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:56 pm Heard from Winchester repair today. Their gunsmith says the stock fitting is normal. They did offer to install a “John Wayne Special” stock with higher grade wood. I really did not want that much bling on this carbine. They are sending it back since I did not want to wait until February for a replacement.

Trooper Joe
What would you want for the stock?

I think I can fit it to an older Winchester I have that needs a stock.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

trooper joe wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:56 pm Heard from Winchester repair today. Their gunsmith says the stock fitting is normal. They did offer to install a “John Wayne Special” stock with higher grade wood. I really did not want that much bling on this carbine. They are sending it back since I did not want to wait until February for a replacement.

Trooper Joe
Just found a carbine like mine on GunBroker (their photo). I guess their gunsmith is correct. This proud wood is now standard. Compare this with my stainless Rossi stock fitting!,,

Image URL]

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

It would be interesting to know what Turnbull will charge for replacing the rebounding hammer with the original style and getting rid of the tang safety. Equally interesting would be to know where they get the hammers and triggers to do these conversions. The supply of Browning B92 hammers and triggers has pretty much dried up. Not sure if Rossi or Italian made 92s parts will work in Miroku 92 rifles/carbines. Keep us posted!

On a different note, I see that your stainless Rossi has the bolt safety. You can remove and replace it with a simple stainless steel or blued steel plug. It's a pretty cheap fix costing about $20 or so. One thing you will definitely want to change out is the plastic magazine tube follower which is prone to breakage. There are metal replacement ones available from Steve's Gunz who is a member here at the forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

kaschi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 am It would be interesting to know what Turnbull will charge for replacing the rebounding hammer with the original style and getting rid of the tang safety. Equally interesting would be to know where they get the hammers and triggers to do these conversions. The supply of Browning B92 hammers and triggers has pretty much dried up. Not sure if Rossi or Italian made 92s parts will work in Miroku 92 rifles/carbines. Keep us posted!

On a different note, I see that your stainless Rossi has the bolt safety. You can remove and replace it with a simple stainless steel or blued steel plug. It's a pretty cheap fix costing about $20 or so. One thing you will definitely want to change out is the plastic magazine tube follower which is prone to breakage. There are metal replacement ones available from Steve's Gunz who is a member here at the forum.
Not a good photo but both of these things have been done. I had problems loading this .357 Rossi until I replaced the stainless mag follower.
Trooper Joe
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

trooper joe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:01 am
kaschi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 am It would be interesting to know what Turnbull will charge for replacing the rebounding hammer with the original style and getting rid of the tang safety. Equally interesting would be to know where they get the hammers and triggers to do these conversions. The supply of Browning B92 hammers and triggers has pretty much dried up. Not sure if Rossi or Italian made 92s parts will work in Miroku 92 rifles/carbines. Keep us posted!

I think the basic Turbull trigger job and safety removal is about $1,500 (not sure where I heard that).

Not a good photo but both of these things have been changed on my Rossi. I had problems loading this .357 Rossi until I replaced the plastic mag follower with a stainless one.
Trooper Joe
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I believe they modify the existing hammer and trigger to revert them back to the half notch safety.

As to the price for that job specifically, I'm not sure. I had them do a bunch of things to my modern 1886 and I don't know if what they changed me for that portion was cheaper being done concurrent with other work or if it's what they charge if you send them a rifle just to have the hammer/trigger revert done.

Here is my 1886 tang...like the safety was never even there.
IMG_20231102_151546291.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Ridered350r, you're correct about the hammer being converted to the "original half-cock style safety notch" (as Turnbull quotes it on their website). Somehow I was always under the impression they used the remainder of Browning 1886 hammers in existence. They must also have to modify the trigger since one is needed for the conversion.